Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
cheermom310
Earning My Ears

CBR or WL? Help please..

I'm booked at CBR with dining plan for 9/18-9/23 for DD birthday trip. I booked preferred room because DD has club feet and CBR is so spread out. I've been checking online and WL is not that much more ($400.00). Should I go for it and splurge? My trip including airfare is already paid in full or am I wasting money?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermom310 View Post
I'm booked at CBR with dining plan for 9/18-9/23 for DD birthday trip. I booked preferred room because DD has club feet and CBR is so spread out. I've been checking online and WL is not that much more ($400.00). Should I go for it and splurge? My trip including airfare is already paid in full or am I wasting money?
I have stayed at both and liked both of them. If I could upgrade my reservation for $400, I would do it in a heartbeat! Wilderness Lodge is a wonderful, peaceful and compact resort. You will love it.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Gary M
DIS Veteran

I haven't stayed at CBR, but have stayed at WL numerous times. The WL is all in one building and easy to get around. All rooms have balconies or patios(1st floor). You might ask for a woods view room facing the MK and overlooking the Otter Pond. A third or fourth floor room is peaceful and you might see some of the fireworks at the MK. The boat ride to the MK is also very nice.

I would spend the extra $$$ on the WL, but others that have stayed at both resorts might disagree. I think when you walk into the lobby of the WL, you will think you made the right decision.
Gary M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

If you can afford it I would definitely splurge. It is a beautiful resort, my family loves it. Its great having everything under one roof and the lobby at WL is amazing. We also love the boat to MK. If you have never stayed there its worth trying it, its always fun to try a new resort.
Tpiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

We have stayed at both resorts - in the Villas at WL and in a preferred room at CBR 4 times. I love the tropical feel of the Caribbean Beach Resort and if you are assigned a room close to Old Port Royale you will also be very near two bus stops. You might want to call central reservations and ask them to add a medical request to your reservation - since you have paid for preferred anyway, I would request a room in Martinique, very close to OPR for medical reasons. Also, CBR does not have elevators so if stairs are difficult for your daughter request a first floor room as well.

The Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous....but it can be a VERY long walk from rooms to the lobby/bus/boat dock. If you booked a standard room your view will likely be of the loading docks and smokehouse - not nearly as pretty as CBR. So if that is not an issue, you could make a similar request at WL for a room close to the lobby and elevator for medical reasons. You can even ask the CM to speak with special needs so they can help with the correct room request. I have MS and have a bit better understanding of how distance can have a very different meaning for those without challenges.

Even though everything is under one room at WL that does not mean it will be close - it can be a hike to Roaring Forks, the counter service, from most room locations. The WL lodge (as do all Disney resorts) does have wheel chairs for guest use during your stay for no cost. I loved finding the short cuts to RF and walking by the pool area each morning...and the resort is so pretty I did not mind the distance...but our room location in the Villas turned out to be excellent - a short walk from the elevator to a corner room, where we could see the top of the fireworks at night..and the buses were just outside the Villas. The walk to the dock was about 5 mins...about the same to Roaring Forks by cutting through the pool area - very pretty relaxing walk.

I really like both resorts (WL might win out if I could book a courtyard view and request a room overlooking the lobby or a VWL studio). I am just not sure it will make things easier for the $400 upcharge if it is a standard room.

Good luck in deciding and hope everything works out wonderfully!

Last edited by Minnie&Nana; 07-07-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I would absolutely upgrade to the WL!!!!

However, I should add that CBR is by far our least favorite resort and WL is our favorite, so that decision would be easy for us.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
kmb584
DIS Veteran

WL is a beautiful resort and since the entire resort, save for the villas, is located under one roof it's a great choice for your DD. In the grand scheme of the cost of Disney, $400 isn't a heck of a lot of money when you stop to think about it. You're switching from Mod to Deluxe, you'll have more room to stretch out in the room, the walking will be easier on your daughter, and it's in close proximity to MK!

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Not a bad deal I would take advantage of the deluxe.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Our first two trips were at CBR. First w/ just DH & I (garden view in Jamaica) and next with a toddler (water view in Martinique). Martinique was much more convenient but We preferred the garden view. We loved everything about CBR.

All trips since have been at WL and, IMHO, worth every penny of the extra $400 you mentioned. WL us georgeous, smaller in size and all under one roof. If you request North Wing, near Roaring Fork the elevator will let you off right by Roaring Fork. The boat to MK and CR is just down a winding path thru the pool area and the buses are across the lobby and out a side door.

You will love it!
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

Last edited by CuteAsMinnie; 07-07-2013 at 12:13 PM.
CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I would absolutely upgrade to the WL!!!!

However, I should add that CBR is by far our least favorite resort and WL is our favorite, so that decision would be easy for us.
ditto this, pretty much word for word

WDW: Wilderness Lodge 2011 | Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk Inn CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 | Polynesian CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge CL 2013

DLR: Candy Cane Inn 2013 | Candy Cane Inn, Grand Californian 2014
mirage0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermom310 View Post
I would make the change without hesitation. We've stayed at both and while we loved CBR and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, the WL is just amazing and for that little of a difference between a mod and deluxe, I think it's definitely worth it .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: