Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #2341
mickeymom629
DIS Veteran
 
mickeymom629's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,586

Just signed up today with DD21!! Got an email from a friend's daughter that she and her mom just signed up too and that we gotta do it!! The mom and I did the PHM in 2010 with our DH's and I thought, okay, I can check that off my list! We all four crossed the finish line together I really hadn't planned on doing it again, but it should be fun with DD

I'm really bummed about no discounts on tickets and resorts because that was such a cool bonus last time. I will have to use DVC points to save $, but that means not staying with the other 2, most likely. We just used a bunch of points for BWV gv in January and I want to save for another! Will probably just try for a studio somewhere.

Good luck to all!
__________________
~Debbie Planning my next trip to the magic!! - Avenger's Half Marathon!! November 14 - 21, 2014

2014 Feb AKV/BLT for PHM!!; 2013 Jan ASM/BWV grand villa!!; 2012 April DL/DCA GCV (spring break); 2010 March Princess Half Marathon POFQ/BWV; 2009 May SSR villa; 2008 June OKW; 2008 March (Spring break) BWV; 2007 Dec. Quality Suites; 2007 July POP/OKW; 2006 April (Spring break) Quality Suites/OKW; 2005 June/July ASSp/OKW; 2005 March - (Spring break) OKW;2004 June/July CBR/OKW; 2003 Dec. BWV; 2003 Jan. Wonder Cruise/HH; 2002 Apr. (Spring break) VWL; 2001 July OKW; 2000 Aug. FW cabin/BWV; 1999 Oct./Nov. ASM/ASSp Became DVC owners!; 1998 Apr./May FW Cabin; 1993 Dec. Travelodge
mickeymom629 is offline  
Old 07-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #2342
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver (not B.C.), Washington (not D.C.)
Posts: 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymom629 View Post
Just signed up today with DD21!! Got an email from a friend's daughter that she and her mom just signed up too and that we gotta do it!! The mom and I did the PHM in 2010 with our DH's and I thought, okay, I can check that off my list! We all four crossed the finish line together I really hadn't planned on doing it again, but it should be fun with DD

I'm really bummed about no discounts on tickets and resorts because that was such a cool bonus last time. I will have to use DVC points to save $, but that means not staying with the other 2, most likely. We just used a bunch of points for BWV gv in January and I want to save for another! Will probably just try for a studio somewhere.

Good luck to all!
Being a DL vet and not planning a WDW trip until the GSC came up, what are the best DVC choices for Princess weekend. I've only stayed at SSR for the W&D 1/2 as that was the only host resort available at 7 months. It was fine but I would like to try another resort. We are VGC owners and usually travel with a group so we've only stayed in 2BR. Will we hate a studio? Just me and DH this time I know there will be enough room but when I have to get up at o-dark-thirty two mornings in a row to get ready, maybe we should do a 1BR?
BlazerFan is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #2343
jmasgat
DIS Veteran
 
jmasgat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,688

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerFan View Post
Being a DL vet and not planning a WDW trip until the GSC came up, what are the best DVC choices for Princess weekend. I've only stayed at SSR for the W&D 1/2 as that was the only host resort available at 7 months. It was fine but I would like to try another resort. We are VGC owners and usually travel with a group so we've only stayed in 2BR. Will we hate a studio? Just me and DH this time I know there will be enough room but when I have to get up at o-dark-thirty two mornings in a row to get ready, maybe we should do a 1BR?
A studio isn't that bad. At BCV and BWV they have one bed and a sleep sofa. OKW studios are 2 beds. I have stayed at all of these, and they've been fine. Haven't done AKL or VWL. This past year, for marathon weekend, I did a 1BR at OKW. It is my favorite DVC resort, and the 1BR is huge. If you want space, that is the way to go. BCV is a great location. Can't walk to the race, but depending on finish time, can walk back afterwards. BLT has the advantage of being on the monorail, which many people love for ease of getting to the race. And now GFV will be an option.(You can actually "break the law" and walk to the race start from OKW-many do, but I didn't and wished I had!)

So many options! Just depends on what vibe you're going for.

Maura
jmasgat is offline  
Old 07-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #2344
Tinkerbrat
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6

First post: Room is booked!

Finally pulled the trigger today. AoA LM room. One less thing to ponder.

So excited to get back to WDW. I am 3 days older than the park and grew up in Florida, but I haven't been there in over 10 years.

This thread has been so helpful. Ever since I decided to do this race, researching has become a part-time job.


Quote:
Originally Posted by niclodn View Post
You're most welcome! I've never actually tried the Juno, but have heard the horror stories...... Of course, I guess it depends on how much flexibility you have in your shoulders tho -- my roommate can't even hook her normal bras in the back. She says there's no way she'd be able to hook a racer back by herself ...
I bought a Fiona and Juno at the same time. Fiona has been worn several times, but every time I eye Juno I remember how hard it was to try on in the dressing room. I'm one that always hooks in the front and then spins the bra around before pulling the straps up.

Does anyone have a great method for putting Juno on that doesn't take 15 minutes?
Tinkerbrat is offline  
Old 07-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #2345
mickeymom629
DIS Veteran
 
mickeymom629's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,586

I chose "no" for planning to do the Coast to Coast. Can I change my mind later or are we stuck with that answer? I really have not idea, but I could be motivated if I actually finish the PHM I have a son in L.A., so it might be tempting as it gets closer.
__________________
~Debbie Planning my next trip to the magic!! - Avenger's Half Marathon!! November 14 - 21, 2014

2014 Feb AKV/BLT for PHM!!; 2013 Jan ASM/BWV grand villa!!; 2012 April DL/DCA GCV (spring break); 2010 March Princess Half Marathon POFQ/BWV; 2009 May SSR villa; 2008 June OKW; 2008 March (Spring break) BWV; 2007 Dec. Quality Suites; 2007 July POP/OKW; 2006 April (Spring break) Quality Suites/OKW; 2005 June/July ASSp/OKW; 2005 March - (Spring break) OKW;2004 June/July CBR/OKW; 2003 Dec. BWV; 2003 Jan. Wonder Cruise/HH; 2002 Apr. (Spring break) VWL; 2001 July OKW; 2000 Aug. FW cabin/BWV; 1999 Oct./Nov. ASM/ASSp Became DVC owners!; 1998 Apr./May FW Cabin; 1993 Dec. Travelodge
mickeymom629 is offline  
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #2346
Twingle
DIS Veteran
 
Twingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbrat View Post
Finally pulled the trigger today. AoA LM room. One less thing to ponder.

So excited to get back to WDW. I am 3 days older than the park and grew up in Florida, but I haven't been there in over 10 years.

This thread has been so helpful. Ever since I decided to do this race, researching has become a part-time job.




I bought a Fiona and Juno at the same time. Fiona has been worn several times, but every time I eye Juno I remember how hard it was to try on in the dressing room. I'm one that always hooks in the front and then spins the bra around before pulling the straps up.

Does anyone have a great method for putting Juno on that doesn't take 15 minutes?
Welcome! Excited to have you join the boards, and look forward to chatting while we get ready for the Princess weekend!

I remember the Juno being harder to put on when I first got it - guess I either got used to it, or just roll with it now?

Trying to decide where to stay - I'm tempted to try for Beach Club or Boardwalk, because I'd sure like to walk back through EPCOT and get a Grey Goose Slushie after the race ! But, I'm also intrigued by the Poly or Contemporary for the monorail - and Port Orleans Royalty Rooms just really fit the theme of the weekend So, apparently, I have no idea where I want to stay, lol.
__________________
DHMe DS twin DD's

Avatar compliments of Mr. DiRTy BuNNy, who created it when I informed him that I didn't have an avatar because I couldn't find one that was "me".
Twingle is offline  
Old 07-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #2347
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver (not B.C.), Washington (not D.C.)
Posts: 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymom629 View Post
I chose "no" for planning to do the Coast to Coast. Can I change my mind later or are we stuck with that answer? I really have not idea, but I could be motivated if I actually finish the PHM I have a son in L.A., so it might be tempting as it gets closer.
I don't think it's really an issue until you register for the 2nd race. When you register for Tinker Bell or the Disneyland 1/2 you should choose yes.
BlazerFan is offline  
Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #2348
11point5
Mouseketeer
 
11point5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carlisle, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbrat View Post
Finally pulled the trigger today. AoA LM room. One less thing to ponder.

So excited to get back to WDW. I am 3 days older than the park and grew up in Florida, but I haven't been there in over 10 years.
What an awesome way to identify a birthday!!! I love it!
Great choice picking the newest resort for your first trip back after such a long time! From what I've seen/heard, the theming at AoA is AMAZING. Enjoy your researching, that's always half the fun of the trip for me (and most other DISers I think)!
__________________
Suzi
---------------------------------------------------
October 1998 - (ASMu) My Very First Disney Trip!
April 2000 - (POFQ) Second Daddy-Daughter Trip!
April 2007 - (AS Sports) High School Band Trip!
October 2012 - (ASMu) DBF's First Trip AND Our 3 Year Dating Anniversary!
February 2014 - (POR) Glass Slipper Challenge Trip!
March 2015 to March 2016 - Canadian Pavilion Cultural Rep Program!
11point5 is offline  
Old 07-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #2349
laura428
DIS Veteran
 
laura428's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Granger, IN
Posts: 833

For those using the Galloway app - have you had any issues with it? I've read so many good reviews of his plan here, but when I went to buy the app, it seems many are saying its pretty buggy.

Are you guys using the app to train? Or just following his plan?
__________________
Me: DH: DS(10): DD(8):
Sept '09 ~ Sheraton Vistana Resort / Feb '10 ~ Coronado Springs Resort / Nov '10 ~ Port Orleans Riverside / Apr '11 ~ Last minute Disneyland day
Jan '12 ~ Port Orleans Riverside / Jun '12 ~ Last minute WDW weekend (off-site) / Polynesian ~ Oct '12 / Beach Club ~ Oct '13 / Dec '14 ~ Caribbean Beach
2014 Princess Half Marathon
laura428 is offline  
Old 07-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #2350
CantWaitToGoAgain
Earning My Ears
 
CantWaitToGoAgain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wisconsin but close enough to MN border.
Posts: 53

I follow the Galloway plan and use the Endomondo app on my phone. I like it because I've never been a watch wearer and it tracks many things. I wear a Spibelt, but oftentimes just end up carrying my phone in my hand.
__________________
Me , DH , DS4 and Poodie
CantWaitToGoAgain is offline  
Old 07-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #2351
arihillfarm
Mouseketeer
 
arihillfarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by keahgirl8 View Post
I would highly suggest you try running outside. It is a totally different animal...in a good way!
I'll second this! I did the C25K program on the treadmill and did fine, making it through the last 5k run portion with no walking (albeit with a pretty slow pace). I then started running outside and it was like starting all over. I'm doing better now and much prefer being outside. I ran on the treadmill a couple of nights ago for the first time in 2-3 weeks and it nearly killed me! It took forever to find a good stride again on the TM that didn't hurt somewhere and even with music and/or the TV, it's very boring to me now.

-Astrid
arihillfarm is offline  
Old 07-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #2352
fitmama2e
I Run for Bling
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbrat View Post
I bought a Fiona and Juno at the same time. Fiona has been worn several times, but every time I eye Juno I remember how hard it was to try on in the dressing room. I'm one that always hooks in the front and then spins the bra around before pulling the straps up.

Does anyone have a great method for putting Juno on that doesn't take 15 minutes?
I have the Juno, and just pull it over my head then pull everything into place. It only takes about a minute.
__________________


Scheduled Races:
Nike Half SF, Diva Socal, Tinker Bell (1/2 & 10k), and GSC!
fitmama2e is offline  
Old 07-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #2353
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver (not B.C.), Washington (not D.C.)
Posts: 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
A studio isn't that bad. At BCV and BWV they have one bed and a sleep sofa. OKW studios are 2 beds. I have stayed at all of these, and they've been fine. Haven't done AKL or VWL. This past year, for marathon weekend, I did a 1BR at OKW. It is my favorite DVC resort, and the 1BR is huge. If you want space, that is the way to go. BCV is a great location. Can't walk to the race, but depending on finish time, can walk back afterwards. BLT has the advantage of being on the monorail, which many people love for ease of getting to the race. And now GFV will be an option.(You can actually "break the law" and walk to the race start from OKW-many do, but I didn't and wished I had!)So many options! Just depends on what vibe you're going for.

Maura
If we end up choosing OKW I will have to get the info about this :-) My first choice would probably be a monorail resort or and Epcot resort for convenience.
BlazerFan is offline  
Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #2354
Ettalynn
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 21

Red face

Well, it took me over a week, but I read all 157 pages of this thread. At this point, I don't even remember how I got to this site!

Anyhow, the 2014 PHM will be my first Disney race and my first 1/2 marathon, and I'm so excited!

I've only been running since the end of April. I downloaded a C25K app, and so far I've run 2 5Ks. Out of curiosity, I picked up a running magazine a week and a half ago, and that was the first I heard of runDisney or the PHM. I've only been to WDW once in my life, and that was 30 years ago (at age 8), so obviously it's changed a lot!

Since registering for the PHM, I decided to do a 10K on 10/20 so I'll have a time and hopefully not end up in the last corral. Plus it's good to have an interim goal to work towards since February is so far away!

Nice to meet you all, and thanks for all the great info so far!

Erika

P.S. I also run in Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13's, and I love them, especially the cushioning under the ball of the foot. I'm so glad I didn't know about all the potential shoe problems when I got them! I'm tempted to buy an extra pair(s), but I'm worried that my needs/running style will have changed by the time I need a new pair (considering that when I got these I hadn't done any running yet!). Plus, I've been doing Weight Watchers since January. I've already lost over 40 lbs, and I'm expecting to lose at least another 30 or so, so that might affect things, too.

I'm so proud of myself for coming this far, and so excited to see what I'll have accomplished by February!
Ettalynn is offline  
Old 07-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #2355
bellaally
DIS Veteran
 
bellaally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Philadelphia
Posts: 625

Fundraising for GKTW

Hey fellow runners! Trying to raise funds for Give Kids the world village and this cause has motivated me to run my first half marathon. I made up these shirts for all my fellow princesses in training. There $20 a shirt for a great cause and they look fantastic check it out! Thanks for your time

http://www.customink.com/signup/3jqhqhqy
__________________
Ally (Me 26) Jesse(DH 29) Nicholas (DS 3) Jordan (DS 2)

bellaally is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
princess



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: