Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
autumnblue
DIS Veteran

Pop Century Adults

Hi,

I am in the process of trying to book a budget trip that will include the free dining offer and the Epcot Food and Wine festival.

I have always stayed at moderates as kid growing up or for conferences and for our most recent trips we have stayed at the Dolphin. The budget really only allows for a value this trip but I could really use the vacation.

Will I be disappointed? I haven't stayed in a motel style place in a long time mostly because I travel most often for work and extend my stay or I have enough points to upgrade to a hotel style places when I do vacation.

How long is the bus ride to Epcot? We really intend to spend most of our time there.

Best,

Autumn

autumnblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
4mykids
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at CR, BC, BW, SoG, AKL, Dolphin, POR, and POFQ. We switched to POP about six years ago. I resisted changing over as I was afraid I wouldn't like a value resort. I relented and we have stayed at POP six times and LOVE it! I don't know if I can go back to a more expensive resort! The theming is excellent. The transportation is great -- better than a few of the deluxe resorts. The bus ride is maybe 10 minutes tops to Epcot. Just go into the stay expecting a value, i.e., the rooms are much smaller, etc. We request Building 5, first floor, lake view. It's quiet, has a beautiful view, and is close to the bus stop and food court. Just think about all the $$$ your are saving!

Always planning that next Disney trip!
4mykids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
curlz2tite
Mouseketeer

Pop rocks!!!
We are 2 adults & we really like it there. If I was going to Disney to spend time in my room & not out doing Disney I guess it would matter. If your only there to sleep & shower it's great! Love the theming & the rooms are clean. That's all I need.
3 trips during the 1990's with DH & DD, ,
2005 at ASMO
2006 at POP,

2007 20th wedding anniversary at POP

Dec 2-11, 2008 trip at POP

Halloween Oct 24-Nov2 2010 Oct24 -Nov 4 2011
curlz2tite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Dsnyfireman
Mouseketeer

My wife and I love POP and have taken adult only trips there too. Best resort for our family. Ride to epcot is not bad and same for MK and DTD. Enjoy!
Dsnyfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
bookgirl2632
DIS Veteran

This is great to know. We also are planning a trip for next year and want to save some money. We have always stayed in the MODs, but we never spend time in our room. I figured we'd try a Value. After doing a lot of research, I settled on POP. AoA looks great, but we don't need a suite and if we are lucky enough to get Free Dining, the Little Mermaid rooms aren't included. I'm glad to hear so many people speak so highly of POP.

1976 Offsite 1990 Offsite in Kissimmee 2001 CBR 2006 POR 2010 HRH
bookgirl2632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
grammimouse
Mouseketeer

Pop Rocks for sure
Old 07-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnblue View Post
Hi,

I am in the process of trying to book a budget trip that will include the free dining offer and the Epcot Food and Wine festival.

I have always stayed at moderates as kid growing up or for conferences and for our most recent trips we have stayed at the Dolphin. The budget really only allows for a value this trip but I could really use the vacation.

Will I be disappointed? I haven't stayed in a motel style place in a long time mostly because I travel most often for work and extend my stay or I have enough points to upgrade to a hotel style places when I do vacation.

How long is the bus ride to Epcot? We really intend to spend most of our time there.

Best,

Autumn
I don't consider any Disney resort to be a "motel style place". That would be when your car is parked right outside your door to the room. That's not going to happen at Pop Century. In fact, depending on where your room is located, you could have a very nice walk along a lake to get to your room from the parking lot.

My advice - don't compare it to anything else. Go in with open eyes and you will enjoy. We love staying at Pop Century for the Food and Wine Festival. Takes 5-10 minutes from the time you board the bus to get to Epcot. Very relaxed.

And coming back? Even better because you don't have to worry about driving.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
msr709
DIS Veteran

Another vote for POP!

I've done it solo and it was great. The buses are a little better since it doesn't share with any other resort. Like the last poster wrote, go with an open mind and you will love it and you will save a bundle!
AoA May 2014; CSR/Hard Rock Hotel Aug. 2008 (DSis, DNc, DNph & Me); DCL 7-day Western Caribbean Oct. 2006; POP Century July 2005 (Solo); RPR/ASMo (Whole Fa.)Aug/Sept 2004; Disneyland, the Original (DSIL & Me-HOJO Jul/Aug. 2003; CB/Royal Pacific Jul. 2002 (Solo); The Grosvenor and HRH (Mom & Me) Dec. 2001; ASMu and HRH (DNc&Me) Aug. 2001; ASMo (Mom&Me) Jan. 2000; HoJO (DD, DSis, DNc & Me) 1995

msr709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
CampbellScot
DIS Veteran

My hubs and I have done adults only trips staying at POP. We thought it was great. We always get a preferred room so we aren't years away from the food court and buses. It's worth the extra cash.

Try it. you'll like it.

CampbellScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
DizzDoll
DIS Veteran

POP is our resort of choice! We've stayed at mods as well as deluxes, but in our opinion POP is the happening resort. The buses are great and you don't share with other resorts - BIG SCORE on that one! The only resort we like better is the AKL but for us it's way too remote, and the bus service pretty much sucks. If we were going to do a resort only for a ciouple of days of complete R&R, it would be the AKL. But the theming of POP is bright and fun and colorful and well maintained, and I love the walking path along the lake, and for a large resort, you don't feel closed in. Enjoy!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
trekker93
DIS Veteran

Smile It is our "home" resort!

We have been there for many years now and love it a lot. from the theming to the pools to the buses, it is nice. Our family and friends who also meet us down there think it is well worth the money also because of its location.

1978(offsite),1984offsite,1990(DixieLandings),2004 ,2005,2006-off site,2007(POP),2008(POP),2009(POP),2010(Sept)-Pop Century,2011Sept.POPCentury,All Star Music - July 2012, Sept2012 POP, May 2013-POP,Sept2013 - POP
Next TRIP:POP Century - Sept.2014
trekker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
Princess_Nikki
DIS Veteran

Yes, POP Century is awesome!!!

My boys are 4 and 6 so we always go the value resort way. They love All Star Sports, so that's where I have pretty much always booked our stay. We had a reservation in June for All Star Sports when I got the letter that they would be refurbishing the food court until about December. I called to look into switching resorts and Pop Century was the only value resort left with availability. For whatever reason, I never thought to even consider that resort!

I'm SO glad we ended up going there!! I was so torn as to which decade to decide on that I let the boys pick. They chose the 50's and it was the quietest place on the resort! Heaven! If you want to have a beautiful view of the lake (with Art of Animation right across), request the 4th floor of either Building 2 or 3, lake side. They are still considered Standard Rooms and you can see the fireworks at night from Epcot! The buses were great, we didn't have to wait long at all.

The food court is wonderful, too. The 60's is the most popular area of the resort, being by the Hippy Dippy pool. That area is always the most crowded. We never got over to the 70's or 80's areas. As for parking in the 50's, you can drive around to the "extra" 50's parking, where the resort starts to join AOA and the walk to the 50's buildings isn't far.

Enjoy, it really is wonderful!! I'm so glad All Star Sports was being refurbished!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
KELLY
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at all levels including a 1 bedroom a couple of times. We have stayed at pop the last 5 years. I love it. I stay there for me not the kids.

Many Trips the past 7 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 9 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
Emily_H
Earning My Ears

We've been to POP 3 x's & we do not have any children. We love it! Never had any complaints besides the double beds. Go with an open mind. I think too many people look down on the values without giving them a fair chance. Enjoy!
We're booked again for this November!
Emily_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Princess 'n LA
Mouseketeer

Just remember if you stay at a value and have free dining, it will only be QS, no TS.
March 1999--Port Orleans (formerly Dixie Landings)
December 2007--Coronado Springs--20th anniversary trip
November 2009--POP (Free dining)
July 2010--POP (Bonus trip--2 in one year--my husband LOVES me!)
May 2011--Disneyland Resort (grand prize as Disney Planet Challenge winners--Go ZES Wetland Warriors)
November 2011--POFQ (I Disney at Christmas)
Princess 'n LA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: