DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #31
Buckeye Fan
DIS Veteran
 
Buckeye Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,092

In no way rushing your purchase, but one thing that still makes me sick to this day is how much we spent on a couple of vacations right before we purchased.

We knew we were going to purchase. We had done our homework. BIL/SIL are DVC owners, so we knew how the system worked. I also learned a ton from the wonderful people on these boards, and I've learned a lot over the years since purchasing. Anyway...we stayed a couple of times at OKW and spent a chunk of money. Came home and purchased. Had I known then what I know now, I would have purchased, used points to book those vacations and put every penny I feel I wasted toward my purchase. I know...many people have done the same thing. It's how most of us came to the conclusion we wanted to buy. Still, it was a large chunk of money that I feel I just threw away.

Have fun researching, and best of luck with your decision! We purchased in 2007 and have never looked back. We'll be staying in VWL in two weeks and heading back down to OKW over Christmas for 10 days! We love every minute of it!
__________________
Buckeye Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #32
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
We're kind of leaning towards OKW, but AKV is a close 2nd. The thought of Poly DVC is awfully attractive too, but we'd obviously need to find out more about it once more details are made available. In any case, if we rent points, it'll likely be at OKW or AKV.
The Poly will be a high expense item for those who want to stay there most trips or want a specific trip there periodically. Of those 2 choices, it really depends on how you'll use it. If price is your main goal, SSR is still likely to be your cheapest long term purchase. OKW will have higher dues and the price difference doesn't make up for the shorter RTU normally. AKV will have higher dues still but gives you the value options, standard view, Savannah view and concierge as well as 3 BR options. If you do aim for OKW try to get an extended contract for around the same price as SSR. The number of points will also have some effect on your options. If you get to looking at upwards of 300 points or feel you'd want Poly but don't want to wait, you might consider 2 somewhat smaller purchases.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #33
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer
 
RapunzelsGoodMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
We're kind of leaning towards OKW, but AKV is a close 2nd. The thought of Poly DVC is awfully attractive too, but we'd obviously need to find out more about it once more details are made available. In any case, if we rent points, it'll likely be at OKW or AKV.
I've done a couple of long-weekend, last minute (which is within about five weeks to DVC-ers) and have been able to get points for CHEAP on the rental boards. Folks don't want them to expire so if you are flexible, a great way to see the properties you are interested in! Plus fun for you and DH! Good luck!

I've rented about four times now and finally think I should just BUY already so I don't have to do all this matching and begging! ha!
RapunzelsGoodMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #34
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!
 
Dizneefamily+4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,639

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapunzelsGoodMom View Post

I've done a couple of long-weekend, last minute (which is within about five weeks to DVC-ers) and have been able to get points for CHEAP on the rental boards. Folks don't want them to expire so if you are flexible, a great way to see the properties you are interested in! Plus fun for you and DH! Good luck!

I've rented about four times now and finally think I should just BUY already so I don't have to do all this matching and begging! ha!
Good to know! Thanks!
__________________
me, dh, ds13, dd9
'97, '01, '04 -offsite
'08 - CSR
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #35
Nabas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
We're kind of leaning towards OKW, but AKV is a close 2nd. The thought of Poly DVC is awfully attractive too, but we'd obviously need to find out more about it once more details are made available. In any case, if we rent points, it'll likely be at OKW or AKV.
Right now, your best bet is AKV via resale.

AKV resale prices are somewhat depressed since Disney is still actively selling there. AKV should be sold out within 12 months at which point prices should start to rise. In addition, Disney is not ROFR'ing at AKV right now. OKW is fraught with ROFR danger.

Once AKV is sold out, it will be more difficult to book there than at OKW.

AKV is located at a Deluxe Resort and feels like it. It really is one of WDW's best. Because of its layout, OKW reminds me more of a Moderate Resort.

AKV offers the best variety of rooms: Value, Standard, Savanna, and Concierge.

It might be a good time to sit back and wait till the fall or winter. Like most real estate, we are in peak buying season and prices are up. There might be a better selection of inventory in the fall and winter and at better prices.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #36
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!
 
Dizneefamily+4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
Right now, your best bet is AKV via resale.

AKV resale prices are somewhat depressed since Disney is still actively selling there. AKV should be sold out within 12 months at which point prices should start to rise. In addition, Disney is not ROFR'ing at AKV right now. OKW is fraught with ROFR danger.

Once AKV is sold out, it will be more difficult to book there than at OKW.

AKV is located at a Deluxe Resort and feels like it. It really is one of WDW's best. Because of its layout, OKW reminds me more of a Moderate Resort.

AKV offers the best variety of rooms: Value, Standard, Savanna, and Concierge.

It might be a good time to sit back and wait till the fall or winter. Like most real estate, we are in peak buying season and prices are up. There might be a better selection of inventory in the fall and winter and at better prices.
Great suggestions. Thanks! As we're not in a rush, fall or winter would be just fine!
__________________
me, dh, ds13, dd9
'97, '01, '04 -offsite
'08 - CSR
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #37
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post

Once AKV is sold out, it will be more difficult to book there than at OKW.
Why is this exactly?
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #38
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,752

"Originally Posted by Nabas Once AKV is sold out, it will be more difficult to book there than at OKW."

I was wondering the same thing? I thought the larger resorts would be easier to book at 7 months based on the sheer number of rooms available.
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #39
DougEMG
DIS Veteran
 
DougEMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,732

The easiest resorts are always the largest resorts, that is SSR, AKV and OKV. Now AKV has some special rooms that are hard to get, but other than that, rooms at the resort are very easy to book at 7 months.
__________________
DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #40
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
"Originally Posted by Nabas Once AKV is sold out, it will be more difficult to book there than at OKW."

I was wondering the same thing? I thought the larger resorts would be easier to book at 7 months based on the sheer number of rooms available.
I suspect that the thinking is that more AKV owners will create more competition for AKV rooms, but I don't want to put words in the poster's mouth, so I'm waiting for an explanation.

Of course, what we know about how inventory is made available for new construction timeshares negates this theory, which is why I asked for clarification.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #41
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,748

I doubt AKV will be more difficult to book, if anything, it may be a little less so. It's the same issue as with SSR, new owners there will want to try it a time or 2 but then they'll branch out and want to try other things creating less demand. Resort size is only a minor issue, resort demand is always the overwhelming issue when it comes to availability. Of course a given resort actually has a number of separate demand areas. Concierge will likely never been any easier there.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #42
Iceman93
Mouseketeer
 
Iceman93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 435

Well, you've already gotten the "conventional wisdom" around here which is that you'd have to be crazy to throw money away on a direct purchase. I'm here to counter that by saying that I think you're doing absolutely the right thing by researching all the facts, then considering how those apply to your situation.

For my family, a direct purchase at Aulani was the right decision. I don't care how bad of a "value" the cruises and non-DVC options are, I want to have that flexibility decades into the future. Disney offered a significant incentive (10% more points) to buy direct. And we didn't have to sweat it out looking for the right contract at the right resort with the right use year, then pray it made it through ROFR. We decided to buy, and bought.

I guess all I'm saying is don't buy into the hype that tries to brainwash you into thinking a direct purchase is automatically a dumb move. You can save money (sometimes a LOT of money) purchasing resale, but everything else is downside...
__________________
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", Alan Kay
Come join the Pleasure Island Lover's Club http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/pleasureislandlovers
Iceman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #43
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman93 View Post
Well, you've already gotten the "conventional wisdom" around here which is that you'd have to be crazy to throw money away on a direct purchase. I'm here to counter that by saying that I think you're doing absolutely the right thing by researching all the facts, then considering how those apply to your situation.

For my family, a direct purchase at Aulani was the right decision. I don't care how bad of a "value" the cruises and non-DVC options are, I want to have that flexibility decades into the future. Disney offered a significant incentive (10% more points) to buy direct. And we didn't have to sweat it out looking for the right contract at the right resort with the right use year, then pray it made it through ROFR. We decided to buy, and bought.

I guess all I'm saying is don't buy into the hype that tries to brainwash you into thinking a direct purchase is automatically a dumb move. You can save money (sometimes a LOT of money) purchasing resale, but everything else is downside...
You don't do anybody any good by making unfair characterizations and misinterpreting the advice that has been given on these boards. Same can be said for insulting those who are simply trying to offer information and guidance to prospective buyers. If you truly believe the statements I have put in bold above are accurate reflections of the advice given then I would suggest you work on developing your reading comprehension skills.

The fact of the matter is that each purchase should be analyzed in terms of what one is receiving and what the next best options are. In the cases of VGF, AUL and VGC, direct purchases make an incredible amount of sense due mostly to the fact that there are few (if any) viable alternatives. In the case of other resorts (specifically AKV and BLT) direct purchases do not make any financial sense, especially in light of the other available options and the massive net loss that one incurs as soon as the 10 day recission period has expired.

I openly invite you or anyone else to make a financial case for purchasing AKV or BLT at current direct market prices.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #44
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman93 View Post
Well, you've already gotten the "conventional wisdom" around here which is that you'd have to be crazy to throw money away on a direct purchase. I'm here to counter that by saying that I think you're doing absolutely the right thing by researching all the facts, then considering how those apply to your situation.
I'm on record as saying there are appropriate situations to buy retail, VGF is one for some. But it assumes you value that location and will use it, not just as a means to get into the system.

Quote:
For my family, a direct purchase at Aulani was the right decision. I don't care how bad of a "value" the cruises and non-DVC options are, I want to have that flexibility decades into the future. Disney offered a significant incentive (10% more points) to buy direct. And we didn't have to sweat it out looking for the right contract at the right resort with the right use year, then pray it made it through ROFR. We decided to buy, and bought.
Your choice of course, esp if you knew what you were and were not getting.

Quote:
I guess all I'm saying is don't buy into the hype that tries to brainwash you into thinking a direct purchase is automatically a dumb move. You can save money (sometimes a LOT of money) purchasing resale, but everything else is downside...
This is the biggest issue I have with this line of thinking. There really aren't any downsides to buying resale for established resorts that are little more than half price resale. You're not losing anything of value though it's good to have option if they don't add extra costs.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #45
BeachLove
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 315

I usually take different family members to disney with no set month of travel. I had bought a 200 point contract years ago and wish I had gotten 100-150 more points.
BeachLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.