Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Dis703
DIS Veteran

I would choose POR and go longer for sure. Yes you'll have to do bus or car to all of the parks but keep in mind you have to do that to two of the parks from CR anyhow. And you get the boat to DTD. For 5 more days the choice would be an easy one for me.

Of course the decor at CR does not appeal to me at all and I think POR is just beautiful. So that would be another plus for me.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
CoolPool
DIS Veteran

My question to OP: have you ever stayed in a motel room with your family for 12 days before? It gets old. Think about that; all sharing one bathroom, no kitchen and no laundry. This isn't an advert for DVC though. Those have no appeal to me on vacation, but think about the length of time all watching the same TV with lots of Stacy 24/7. We don't do Disney over 8 nites anymore. Just something else to consider.
CoolPool is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

I vote for quantity -POR. But what about a split stay between 2 mods?

Last edited by gillenkl; 07-06-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add more info
gillenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

POR!! It's lovely there and you have the little boat that takes you to DTD. I love staying there!
Radiorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
I guess it really depends on how you do Disney. Do you go into the parks and stay there all day and then on non-park days you stay at the resort and swim/relax, then i would do POR and stay the longer time. But if you do the parks for a couple hours and then go look around someplace else then do the CR. This is how we do Disney. A couple hrs in the park then over to the GF/FW/WL or Poly to relax then back into the park for a couple more hours then back to BLT to swim and relax...

I would figure out how you want to do Disney and go from there.
The way we do it, especially in September, is get there at rope drop, stay until early afternoon, then it's back to the hotel for a rest/swim. Then we go for dinner at the parks and stay til closing. That, in itself, would almost be worth staying at CR. Also being able to walk home past the masses at the bus stop after Wishes is a big plus.

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
jhaig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolPool View Post
My question to OP: have you ever stayed in a motel room with your family for 12 days before? It gets old. Think about that; all sharing one bathroom, no kitchen and no laundry. This isn't an advert for DVC though. Those have no appeal to me on vacation, but think about the length of time all watching the same TV with lots of Stacy 24/7. We don't do Disney over 8 nites anymore. Just something else to consider.
We have stayed 14 nights before, but we don't spend a lot of time in the room, just sleeping and bathroom. And what's wrong with too much Stacy?

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
Old 07-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #22
jhaig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistGrl101 View Post
OP, this depends on the individual needs of your family. How many of you and what are the ages?
Also, will you be on one of the dining plans?
I ask because for my family of 5+infant who like sit down and character dinners, we would find it more of a hassle to stay at a mod. It would mean double the time on busses, folding up strollers, etc. Plus we would have more space in a deluxe room.
Can you compromise by pricing out either an Epcot resort or Wilderness Lodge?
We (myself, wife and 14yr old daughter) will be on the regular dining plan - works better financially for us. Also hoping for FD next Sept. WL is not out of the question yet either.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #23
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
tough... Our opinion is to always stay as long as possible but here are the issues...

POR: Must drive or bus to everything, if you want to go to the MK, Poly, FW, EPCOT or what ever you must drive or take a long bus ride...

CR: You can walk to the MK or Monorail to nearly everything else on the Monorail loop. Plus you can jump on a boat and go to WL or FW... You can also jump on the monorail and go over to the Poly or GF and watch Wishes...

I guess it really depends on how you do Disney. Do you go into the parks and stay there all day and then on non-park days you stay at the resort and swim/relax, then i would do POR and stay the longer time. But if you do the parks for a couple hours and then go look around someplace else then do the CR. This is how we do Disney. A couple hrs in the park then over to the GF/FW/WL or Poly to relax then back into the park for a couple more hours then back to BLT to swim and relax...

I would figure out how you want to do Disney and go from there.
I guess we just dont share the same perspective ... we just came back from 2 weeks at POR staying in mansions, and other than one morning where we had an issue with a group staying at the resort it took us no longer then 20 mins from door to park, including the beautiful walk to south depot, waiting for the bus and the ride ... the rides are 10 mins or less. To me that is not a "long bus ride" ....

Go POR, our first trip was only 8 days ... getting towards 2 weeks makes it so much more relaxing, you can actually forget about real life because its not just lurking around the next weekend.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
dminnie
DIS Veteran

12 nights seems like a long time in one hotel room (and a long time at WDW). I think I'd go for a split stay if I were going for that long. Maybe stay at POR for 5 nights and then 5 nights at CR (or whatever combination of days works best). Maybe stay at one of them for part of the trip and then stay at a resort you've never stayed at before for the other part.

Another thought: CSR hasn't been mentioned, but a business class room there might be fun. It is a beautiful resort.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
The way we do it, especially in September, is get there at rope drop, stay until early afternoon, then it's back to the hotel for a rest/swim. Then we go for dinner at the parks and stay til closing. That, in itself, would almost be worth staying at CR. Also being able to walk home past the masses at the bus stop after Wishes is a big plus.
We do the exact same thing btw and had no problem getting to and from parks, even after wishes and illuminations. One of the best things about POR is that you can take either POR or POFQ busses at the end of the night.

BUT... we had no issues doing afternoons at the resort and then heading back for dinners and evening in parks.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #26
Astylla
Disney Fanatic

DH and I recently had a similar situation..

We had been debating on a deluxe or split stay between CSR and POR.

As we decided this is a more relaxed stay we felt 10 nights at a moderate , POR would be better for our trip and touring style. While CR has the advantage of the monorail I think staying for only that convience would be a deal braker for me. As we will not be back for a long time a longer trip more days is much more important for us.

I can definitely see the pros of being on the monorail line also.

It is most definitely a personal choice based on what your trip needs and wants are. I'm always in the boat of more days is better , though if I had young children or limited time that convience may be a bigger factor.

I looked at youtube videos of the resorts and this greatly helped us confirm our choice.
Astylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Tough one! I think I would do a split stay if I was staying 12 nights regardless. Maybe split the difference between CR and POR?
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #28
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

Since your daughter is 14, I have to agree with the majority who say stay longer at POR. You have no strollers to fold up, no cranky kids on a crowded bus at the end of the night, and you will still have plenty of space in the room.
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #29
pryncess527
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Tough one! I think I would do a split stay if I was staying 12 nights regardless. Maybe split the difference between CR and POR?
Ditto, I'd do a split stay, just for the change of pace over such a long trip
pryncess527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
pixieprincess72
Making Magical Memories

Easy! I vote longer stay at POR- although the convenience of CR is unbeatable, I personally do not care for the theming or the "vibe" of the resort and I just don't find that it has as much of that Disney "charm" that I love I'm staying at POR for the first time in October and I couldn't be more excited- it looks like a very beautiful, relaxing resort. Plus more time in Disney is always a good thing
Offsite (March 2005) WL (July 2006) GF (July 2007) YC (May 2008) Disneyland (March 2009) YC (June 2011) Offsite (April 2012) BC/Swan (April 2013) CSR (May 2013) AoA (Sept 2013) POR (Oct 2013) POP & WL (NYE 2013-14) COMING SOON: VGF & AKV (May 2014)

pixieprincess72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: