Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Big O
Earning My Ears

What happens if....

As my family and I were floating in our bckyard pool today we started talking about our vacation to the Poly in August. We have a very late night flight to Orlando tha tis due in at quarter past midnight on August 7. We decided to drive up to the Poly and and take the night there with plans to sleep in late the next morning to catch up on our rest. However, after reading about many delays coming out of Newark Airport I am concerned about what happens if we get delayed by sevarl hours (OMG!). At the moment I would put us into the Poly about 1 or 1:30AM. With a delay of several hours it could be 4 or maybe even 5AM. What happens to my reservation from the night of the 6TH that I've already paid for? Do I get reimbursed? DO I get turned away? Lots of bad thoughts running aroind in my head. Can someone settle my nerves abotu this.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
karenklo
DIS Veteran

If they are holding a room for you and you do not show up you do not get the money back. You may want to book a cheaper hotel room for that night. That is an awkward time to get in as if you stay elsewhere-you may need to get up and check out at 11am. Might not be enough sleep if you have bad delays. At least at the Poly you would not need to get up and move! Good luck with the airport!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Call the hotel. They will hold your room and it will be ready at whatever hour you show up. (I got in once at 4 am)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Computers don't roll over until around 6am. If you'll be near that time, call the resort directly or have the call center patch you through to the front desk and just let them know. I'd also put a not on your reservation.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Honestly, I would book a night at one of the values for th first night.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I prob would book a value too. We booked our first night at Pop. Then first thing ( or whenever your ready) we plan on early check in at GF.

Another alternative is book an airport hotel.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

I've got no advice, but wanted to tell you that we'll wave to you at the Poly - we'll be checking out on 8/8!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
As my family and I were floating in our bckyard pool today we started talking about our vacation to the Poly in August. We have a very late night flight to Orlando tha tis due in at quarter past midnight on August 7. We decided to drive up to the Poly and and take the night there with plans to sleep in late the next morning to catch up on our rest. However, after reading about many delays coming out of Newark Airport I am concerned about what happens if we get delayed by sevarl hours (OMG!). At the moment I would put us into the Poly about 1 or 1:30AM. With a delay of several hours it could be 4 or maybe even 5AM. What happens to my reservation from the night of the 6TH that I've already paid for? Do I get reimbursed? DO I get turned away? Lots of bad thoughts running aroind in my head. Can someone settle my nerves abotu this.
If it's not too late, I would re-book your Poly reservation to arrive on Aug. 7 and book the Hyatt at the airport for Aug. 6. That way, you can get off the plane and check right into a hotel and go to sleep. Then go to the Poly the next day. Honestly, I can't imagine paying for a night at Poly and possibly arriving at 5 am. If you are going to keep the Poly for Aug. 6, I would definitely have your late arrival noted on your reservation and if you are delayed, I would call and let CRO know. They won't reimburse you for the room, but I'm nervous they may cancel your reservation if you show up past 6 am without the late arrival noted on your reservation.

This happened to me last March, I was flying out of NY and my 7 pm flight was delayed. I ended up at POR around 1:30 am and had to be up and out by 8 am to meet up with a group at CSR to get to Port Canaveral. It's not the same situation, but if I had to do it again, I would have stayed at Hyatt MCO and just met them at the port.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

From what I have read, you willbe charged. They are holding a room, disney could have sold otherwise.

IMO it's a money question. For some rich people, 400 a night is like 40 dollars for others. Are you willing topay for a room tohave on hold. ??? There are many other options id money is an issue,,MCO or value, or cheap offsite
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
ain0004
Mouseketeer

THis is exactly why we are staying off site the 1st night. With a breakfast included in the morning. Nothing worse than having your 1st day/night wasted at the most magical place on earth_IMO
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
nkereina
Wendy Darling

As PP stated, computers roll over at 6am which is when "no shows" are processed. If you are taking DME, it's very possible the hotel would be aware of your flight delays. I used to work in the hotel industry (not Disney) and we were notified of flight delays for guests utilizing the hotel shuttle, so we could re-schedule the drivers and also hold their reservation. If you are not taking DME, it would be up to you to notify the hotel of your flight delay by calling CRO and seeing if they can connect you directly to the hotel or relay the message. You would still be charged the full night but the hotel would still hold the room for you. If the hotel doesn't hear from you, you'd be put through as a no show and the hotel would give your room away IF they are oversold. Lastly, if you have trip insurance, you may be able to get reimbursed for that first night through them as Disney has no obligation to refund you for your flight delay.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
precious pixie
DIS Veteran

I was faced with a similar scenario for my trip last week, we didn't ge to the hotel until almost 1:30am. For us I was very happy to not have to wake up and stress about switching hotels, we popped out of bed and headed to DS and of course a lovely frozen cappuccino Yes, we could have saved more money staying elsewhere for the first night but it was worth it when we woke up and could really just start our vacation!

I have a crush on a mouse
precious pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
kandb
DIS Veteran

I would stay at the Hyatt Regioncy right in MCO and then get up early and get to Disney. Why spend almost $500/night when you are just going to sleep for a few hours. I got a $97 government rate at the Hyatt and maybe you can get a cheap AAA rate or special promotion.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #14
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I would book a Value resort for the first night. It will be cheaper than staying at the resort in the airport, and Disney will move your bags for you to the Poly the next day.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #15
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

I'd just change my flight time...
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: