Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #46
richmo
DIS Veteran

I guess what I'm going to propose is blasphemy, so please don't flame me, but it worked for our family.

I think you'll be ok this time, but your family is getting big. Especially as kids get older, any kind of hotel room seems to shrink somehow. What we finally did was rent a house behind Splendid China (anyone remember that?). Travel time to AK was about 5 minutes and all you had to do was cross US-192. It had a private pool, 4 bedrooms, etc. Especially when you have kids at napping age, it was nice to hang out in one part of the house (or even the pool) and let them sleep without worrying about interrupting them. Once the kids got a little older, we stopped renting the full house and have done condos/townhouses at Windsor Hills...also convenient to WDW. Not saying you should do this now, but something like it might make sense for you in the future....especially on longer trips (anything above 5 nights or so), and it can save a ton over Disney resorts, even adding in a car.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #47
bear74
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo View Post
I guess what I'm going to propose is blasphemy, so please don't flame me, but it worked for our family.

I think you'll be ok this time, but your family is getting big. Especially as kids get older, any kind of hotel room seems to shrink somehow. What we finally did was rent a house behind Splendid China (anyone remember that?). Travel time to AK was about 5 minutes and all you had to do was cross US-192. It had a private pool, 4 bedrooms, etc. Especially when you have kids at napping age, it was nice to hang out in one part of the house (or even the pool) and let them sleep without worrying about interrupting them. Once the kids got a little older, we stopped renting the full house and have done condos/townhouses at Windsor Hills...also convenient to WDW. Not saying you should do this now, but something like it might make sense for you in the future....especially on longer trips (anything above 5 nights or so), and it can save a ton over Disney resorts, even adding in a car.
I'm considering this the main draw back is not having access to the extra magic hrs
bear74 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #48
flamark
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistGrl101 View Post
So just as a roundabout, how much would we be looking to pay for a villa for 5+infant at BCV? Could we stay for 10 nights, or can you only stay a week?

I am more leaning towards booking a standard deluxe room through Disney though, because I have a chance of getting a discount...
Using the point calculator on David's DVC Rentals page and using August 1-11 as the dates, it would cost $7112 for a 2 BR Villa. Others have mentioned the POLY and I would whole-heartedly second their suggestion. The POLY rooms are bigger than BC and I would think a crib or pack n play would be much more manageable there or CR than BC. I definitely feel your pain as we are 7 when all my kids go. and need 2 rooms no matter where we stay.
I would think that if you gave the POLY a try you would wonder why you ever had any hesitation. The proximity to MK is great with both boat and monorail choices and the access to the TTC is better and easier than CR or GF for the trip to EPCOT. The pool isn't SAB but then nothing on WDW property is. PP who mentioned being able to see the entire pool from your seat is absolutely correct and I think that's a good thing. Good luck in your decision and I HTH!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #49
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

Oh boy, back to square one...Poly or BC lol.

For the poster who suggested renting a home, my problem is: do I fly down with 4 carseats??
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #50
flamark
Mouseketeer

Forget the carseats! NONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!! If $ isn't the big issue I would stay on property! Offsite is NOT the bee's knee's to say the least. Yes, offsite you can get a 4 BR house for $150 a day, probably less but then the driving, parking, no EMH(if you're into that), no DDP if you want it. The minuses are too many. BC or POLY seems like a good set of choices to have. It's been our choices before. We have stayed at both. Stayed at POLY in early June and BC just last weekend. For us, POLY is slightly better, especially if your vacation is more MK oriented.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #51
Maus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistGrl101 View Post
Oh boy, back to square one...Poly or BC lol.

For the poster who suggested renting a home, my problem is: do I fly down with 4 carseats??
That is definitely a lot to schlepp but I would only take the car seats for the two smallest ones on the plane and would check in the others. You will not be charged for that. I would rather have space on my vacation, but we take a one bedroom with only two kids. I like the toddler to be able to take an uninterrupted nap without me having to lay down as well. Renting points or staying off property would be the only option for me with that many people.
Maus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #52
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear74 View Post
I'm considering this the main draw back is not having access to the extra magic hrs
Good point...you'd also lose access to any dining plans, etc. My only comeback to that is if you've got exhausted kids, EMH isn't going to be much of a benefit.

Of course, there are advantages to staying onsite. However, the simple fact is that Disney resorts generally don't cater to family sizes greater than 4. I don't really need it myself anymore, but I'd love to see them develop a resort that can handle larger families without having to double up rooms or spending $500 a night, or its equivalent. Adding some family suites to an All-Star seems like an afterthought.

My main point was that being crammed into a hotel room for an extended period can be difficult with a large family, which could negate most of the advantages of staying onsite. Rather than one of the other options of not going, there are some attractive options off-property.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #53
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

This exactly why we ended up buying .dVC so we could have enough space for our family of 5
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: