Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #1321
JudyAL
Mouseketeer
 
JudyAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 103

Room size?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I can't seem to be able to find the info on my own.

I know there is a new side (Palm) and the old side (Magnolia). We have stayed on the Magnolia side with mixed reviews. Are the rooms on both sides the same size? My husband is under the impression the ones in Magnolia may be bigger. I think it's an optical illusion because of the little divider wall.
__________________


Dec 2001The Contemporary, Mar 2002Hilton Head, Oct 2002Grand Californian, Feb 2003Wilderness Lodge Villas, Aug 2011Shades of Green, Aug 2012Shades of Green, Aug 2013Shades of Green, Jul 2014Shades of Green and Wilderness Lodge Villas
JudyAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #1322
jdcthree
DIS Veteran
 
jdcthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,271

I apologize if this has already been asked, but are rooms also being refurbed this year?
__________________
Art of Animation/Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012
Bay Lake Tower 2010
Beach Club 2007
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #1323
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJokeMcCoy View Post
Hello - my husband is an honorably discharged veteran, so I know we can only stay at Shades of Green in either September or October. What isn't clear is if we can or cannot purchase military discount WDW park tickets through the resort...can anyone help?? Thanks!
No, veterans are not eligible. You must be active duty or retired:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/sp...-4-day-ticket/
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #1324
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
Straight from Shades:

Hello Jane! Thank you for your continuous support. Every time a guest checks out of a room, we change out the comforters/ bedspreads with clean comforters/bedspreads. All of our pillows have pillow protectors on them and we change out the pillow cases when guests check out. Thank you again for your support.
I would hope they change the pillowcases!
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #1325
bdcp
DIS Veteran
 
bdcp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,313

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyAL View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed, I can't seem to be able to find the info on my own.

I know there is a new side (Palm) and the old side (Magnolia). We have stayed on the Magnolia side with mixed reviews. Are the rooms on both sides the same size? My husband is under the impression the ones in Magnolia may be bigger. I think it's an optical illusion because of the little divider wall.
I'm pretty sure square footage is the same. The bathrooms are a little different.
__________________
Caribbean Beach Resort Nov 89
Shades of Green Nov 98
Shades of Green Nov 05
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #1326
bdcp
DIS Veteran
 
bdcp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,313

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcthree View Post
I apologize if this has already been asked, but are rooms also being refurbed this year?
I don't think so. I think all the refurbs are to public areas-pools, lobby.
__________________
Caribbean Beach Resort Nov 89
Shades of Green Nov 98
Shades of Green Nov 05
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #1327
WendyWuWu
Mouseketeer
 
WendyWuWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 312

New to SOG

Hi guys! I'm new to Shades of Green, but we will be staying there in 43 days (but who's counting? haha) with our son who is in the Air Force. DH has knee problems, so we know we'd like to be close to the bus stop, and would prefer not to be climbing more than one flight of stairs. Also, we want to be in a room that has the toilet separate from the sink area, with preferably two sinks. We will NOT have a car, so being near the parking garage is not an issue. Can anyone tell me what part of the resort I should request? Specific rooms would be great too.
Thanks!
__________________


Me..Wendy DH..Larry DS..Adam DN...Allie

Offsite..1992; Offsite...1995; POR..2004; CBR...2008; POFQ...2009; WL/BLT...2010; YC...2011; YC...2012; SOG...2013; YC...2014
WendyWuWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #1328
jdcthree
DIS Veteran
 
jdcthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post

I don't think so. I think all the refurbs are to public areas-pools, lobby.
That's a bummer, but thanks for the info!
__________________
Art of Animation/Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012
Bay Lake Tower 2010
Beach Club 2007
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #1329
robin19871
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 711

Here are some pictures of the new lobby Java/Bar/Ice cream and their menus. Also, AAFES and the pool renovation.. It is looking great..

http://www.militarydisneytips.com/bl...ate-july-2013/
robin19871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #1330
Pooh2
DIS Veteran
 
Pooh2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 1,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin19871 View Post
Here are some pictures of the new lobby Java/Bar/Ice cream and their menus. Also, AAFES and the pool renovation.. It is looking great..

http://www.militarydisneytips.com/bl...ate-july-2013/
Did they do away with the 50s style ice cream parlor?? I really loved the theming of that!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #1331
jusero
DIS Veteran
 
jusero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 1,184

We are in the 60s! Can we all say WOO-HOOOOO!!!! YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! And HOO-AH!!!!!!!!
__________________

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400



Last edited by jusero; 07-08-2013 at 08:26 PM.
jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #1332
WDW 3
Mouseketeer
 
WDW 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 355

I was pretty excited to see the new "Made in the Shade" store with SOG merchandise
__________________
Off site 1996, Contemporary 1997
SOG 2005, 2007, 2008, POFQ 2009, SOG 2010, 2011
Disneyland Paradise Pier 3/2012, SOG 2012
WDW 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #1333
Hootch
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,109

I have a friend

who's daughter is a military spouse. Her husband is currently stationed in Korea. If I read the elegibility requirements correctly, her daughter should be able to book up to three rooms. Is this correct?
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #1334
kirrrby
We're all mad here....
 
kirrrby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 1,908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootch View Post
who's daughter is a military spouse. Her husband is currently stationed in Korea. If I read the elegibility requirements correctly, her daughter should be able to book up to three rooms. Is this correct?
Yes, spouses can sponsor up to three rooms. She would have to bring a copy of the current LES (the month you check in LES) and her military i.d. too.

Here is the link to the specifics of sponsoring rooms. http://www.shadesofgreen.org/sponsor.htm
__________________

"Yo ho, yo ho a Navy life for me"



I've eaten at 183 out of 241 restaurants at Walt Disney World (76%)


kirrrby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #1335
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran
 
MAGGIED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 3,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyWuWu View Post
Hi guys! I'm new to Shades of Green, but we will be staying there in 43 days (but who's counting? haha) with our son who is in the Air Force. DH has knee problems, so we know we'd like to be close to the bus stop, and would prefer not to be climbing more than one flight of stairs. Also, we want to be in a room that has the toilet separate from the sink area, with preferably two sinks. We will NOT have a car, so being near the parking garage is not an issue. Can anyone tell me what part of the resort I should request? Specific rooms would be great too.
Thanks!
You will love the SOG!!!! The bus stop is on the lower level of the hotel. There are elevators so you don't have to worry about your husband having to do stairs. If you want a room that has the described bathroom you will need to ask to be in the newer section of the hotel. The Magnolia section bathrooms are not set up that way. I would suggest you ask for a lobby level room and tell them why. Have fun!
__________________
Wendy Me DH DD24 DS21

MAGGIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: