Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #31
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

All three trips to Disney have been without a car, many families fly in and do not rent a car, I know your spot did not take a spot from a CR guest...have fun!

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
You did nothing wrong, you shouldn't apologize.
YES THEY DID!!!!!

Nothing makes me angrier than people who think it is ok the block people who are staying at that resort from parking there. There is nothing more horrible than to come back to your home resort and not finding a parking spot. If it happened at your home resort you'd understand and be angry too.

It's about courtesy. If you expect to find a spot at your resort then you should show the same courtesy at a resort you are visiting and not unnecessarily take up parking spots. You have other options, people staying at that resort don't. Failing to show others the courtesy you expect IS wrong.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #33
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
YES THEY DID!!!!!

Nothing makes me angrier than people who think it is ok the block people who are staying at that resort from parking there. There is nothing more horrible than to come back to your home resort and not finding a parking spot. If it happened at your home resort you'd understand and be angry too.

It's about courtesy. If you expect to find a spot at your resort then you should show the same courtesy at a resort you are visiting and not unnecessarily take up parking spots. You have other options, people staying at that resort don't. Failing to show others the courtesy you expect IS wrong.
I don't agree. Having a car on property was a first time experience for the OP. When she went through the guard booth nothing was mentioned about it being a 3 hour time limit. Many people don't know about the time limit. I have a car with me on 99% of our visits and have not once been issued a 3 hour guest pass (I'm talking upwards of 75 resort TS meals that I've driven to). Had it not been for this forum I never would have known. When my grandmother is traveling with us, I pay for valet at one of the monorail resorts (if we aren't already staying at one) as it's much easier on her for our MK days. Otherwise, I'll drive to the parks, drive to the resort, drive back to the parks.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #34
clapton
Mouseketeer

Have been going to WDW for many many years and have never had a problem parking at any resorts . Have never been told about the 3 hour parking limit and have always been there at peak season.
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #35
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
YES THEY DID!!!!!

I can understand why you feel this way since I have had to cruise the Poly lot also looking for a space and not finding one. It's just so annoying and a waste of my vacation time.

I've moved on to other resorts and when I have dinner at the Poly, I take the monorail.

BWV is where I mostly stay now. Parking in the lots closer to the rooms has gotten better because they post guards at busier times and people have to show the dash pass to get in or go across the road.
Judique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #36
spodie
Mouseketeer

I feel like the Polynesian and maybe the Grand Floridian are really the only resorts where self-parking gets a little tight, at times (it seems like a good chunk of the Poly's parking lot is perpetually being used to house construction equipment?). However, I have never had an issue with parking at any other resort. At all.

Sort of off topic, but it's weird 1) why they would section off a huge chunk of parking area at the Poly for said equipment for such a long time and 2) why they have never built an overflow lot (like at the Boardwalk) when two of the busiest restaurants on property are housed there. I feel like something needs to be done to alleviate the parking situation there, anyway. Maybe there's no room for expansion? But then that brings me back to the construction equipment...
Old 07-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #37
Go19GoLauren
Earning My Ears

Quote:
YES THEY DID!!!!!

I can think of hundreds, maybe thousands, of things that are worse than having trouble finding a parking spot. Don't they have valet at the resorts in question? I know they do at the Poly. They'll find a spot for you.

No, it's not technically what they were supposed to do and now they know.
Glad it worked out for you, OP.
Go19GoLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #38
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:
YES THEY DID!!!!!

oh please

As I've stated before, these things are NEVER a problem or an issue except for the DIS police. If the guard doesn't give you a 3 hour parking permit there's nothing saying you can't park there. Yes, regardless of what the DIS says. If the guard thought it would be a problem he/she would either issue the 3 hour pass or not allow the non-resort guest to park. Neither of those happened so the OP did nothing wrong.

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #39
LCoulter
Whoah Mouse

I think there are a lot of non-Contemporary/BLT guests parking in their lot. We go during slow times of the year and found that it was difficult to find a parking space when we came back to BLT around dinner time. We often had to park in a back corner of the lot furthest from the resorts. Once the parade and Wishes ended, the lot clears right out and half the lot is empty. I canít imagine how it is during the busy times. Itís very frustrating to come back to your resort and not be able to find a space.

I'm not sure how well they are enforcing a three hour time limit. We've had parking lot views a few times and have never seen a tow truck but maybe since the very back corner still has parking, maybe they don't bother enforcing it.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #40
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
YES THEY DID!!!!!

If it is a policy then they should tell people about it when they come in or have signs posted. Otherwise they cannot expect people who vacation there to know this is a rule. There is no reason to think that you can't park there if you drive through a gate and they don't say you have a 3 hour limit or give you a pass. Just because people here think it is a rule doesn't mean that it is, I've searched the WDW website and cannot find any policy on resort parking and the guidelines. Only parking at the parks.
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #41
leannak
Mouseketeer

Red face

We did that once - our first trip to DW. A CM at Epcot TOLD us to do that. We had no idea what we were doing and simply asked her advice on how to go about getting over there. We had paid to park at Epcot and then had an early dinner reservation at chef mickey's. We walked over to MK for a few hours after that. She said it was absolutely expected and allowed. Guess we won't be doing that again!
leannak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #42
DisMama3
Mouseketeer

I never have a car, so this doesn't apply to me, but does this mean people can park at the MK resorts and avoid paying to park for the day at MK? Same for the Epcot resorts?
DisMama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #43
fabulousfive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannak View Post
We did that once - our first trip to DW. A CM at Epcot TOLD us to do that. We had no idea what we were doing and simply asked her advice on how to go about getting over there. We had paid to park at Epcot and then had an early dinner reservation at chef mickey's. We walked over to MK for a few hours after that. She said it was absolutely expected and allowed. Guess we won't be doing that again!
I think what you did was different though -- you parked at Epcot. As far as I know that's completely fine. There's not limit as to how long you can park in the parks during open hours. You had a ressie & hopped on the transportation to get there.
fabulousfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #44
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMama3 View Post
I never have a car, so this doesn't apply to me, but does this mean people can park at the MK resorts and avoid paying to park for the day at MK? Same for the Epcot resorts?
Yes.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #45
leannak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousfive View Post
I think what you did was different though -- you parked at Epcot. As far as I know that's completely fine. There's not limit as to how long you can park in the parks during open hours. You had a ressie & hopped on the transportation to get there.
No - we didn't hop on transportation - we drove from Epcot to CR and parked and ate and walked from there to MK. This is what the Epcot CM at the gates told us to do when we asked advice on the best way to get to the Contemporary and MK afterwards. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we were doing anything wrong since that's what the Disney person told us to do. We thought it was just another ADR benefit that we were unaware of - like getting into the park early for a pre-rope-drop reservation. We didn't know about that either!
leannak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: