Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
SugarPlumFairyUK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkarrows View Post
Guys, after some advice, just read that they are closing the walkway between Saratoga Springs and Downtown Disney, now we are staying in Saratoga Springs and wanted to use the walkway at night, we have asked for the congress park area for this reason, anyone able to advise on alternative ways to get to Downtown Disney without having to go by bus or boat, wanted to just walk round the corner.
Thanks
Does this also mean that there will not be the option to walk to get the buses from DTD? We have planned meals at various hotels and were banking on getting the bus from DTD .... does that mean we cannot do this anymore? I'm really peeved, first no spa, then no gym - and now this
Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sencybil View Post
There is a sidewalk on the east side of Buena Vista Drive, so you could walk out the car exit and use that, though I don't think there are pedestrian crossings at that point so it could be dangerous getting across the highway. Also, I don't know how far you would have to walk around the construction zone to get into DTD Marketplace area. You can check out the lay of the land using google maps.

Using the walkway on the other side - well it depends where your room is and what part of DTD you are heading to. From the ferry dock of SSR to Cirque is not that far at all, but that may be only a fraction of your particular route. Also, I believe this walkway is not lit at night so may not be easy to use after dark.

Hope you find a solution! Completely understand about not wanting to drive.

Sencybil x
There are no crosswalks on Buena Vista Drive except at the lights and it is a very busy street with all the bus traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
We stayed in the paddock area and just walked over to DTD on the sidewalk along the road. Walked through the gate area, and yes the guard asked for id. Are they closing the sidewalk? Its the road with the firehouse on it. It did not take long at all.
That's the crossing that will be closed.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

That's the crossing that will be closed.
Thats what I was wondering. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
Happy99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPlumFairyUK View Post
Does this also mean that there will not be the option to walk to get the buses from DTD? We have planned meals at various hotels and were banking on getting the bus from DTD .... does that mean we cannot do this anymore? I'm really peeved, first no spa, then no gym - and now this
gym was never closed, spa is re-opening in August
Happy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #20
Happy99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Have you tried changing your request to maybe the Springs area which will put you closer to that alternative walkway?
this would be your best options but note that the grandstand pool will be closed Aug 25-Sept 14, 2013. You can use any pool on property. Not sure when you are traveling
Happy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #21
goodferry
DIS Veteran

The gym was most definitely closed while we were there. They did shove a few treadmills and a couple free weights ( up to 15 pounds I think) into a tiny windowless room but that's not really a gym...Not sure if it has reopened, that was in June
Old 07-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #22
Jkarrows
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Your options are limited to either the bus, the boat, or the alternative walkway.
How are you getting to the other parks? Buses are your only option there. There is no other way into DTD from the Congress Park area. Have you tried changing your request to maybe the Springs area which will put you closer to that alternative walkway?
We are using a car to get around normally, no have no thought of trying the springs thanks that's an option I did not think of.
Jkarrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
Jkarrows
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy99 View Post
this would be your best options but note that the grandstand pool will be closed Aug 25-Sept 14, 2013. You can use any pool on property. Not sure when you are traveling
End of October but we never used the hotel pool anyway but thanks for the heads up on that.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #24
Jkarrows
Mouseketeer

Ok looked on google maps and there are a few more options

Option 1 walk to side car entry gate, either walk along side road or cross road, walk along and enter walkway at the end of downtown disney, I guess they are only closing the walk way at Saratoga springs and not the walk entrance to downtown disney?

Option 2 walk to other side of Saratoga springs and cross into the west side of downtown disney by house of blues.

Option 3 drive and park in car park, only issue no drink.

Option 4 drive and park near walkway to west side of downtown disney, walk into downtown disney and back to car and drive back to congress park.

Looked at moving to grandstand area of Saratoga springs but we have asked for view of downtown disney as family who are coming have not had this view before, the grandstand area really does not have this view.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
Jkarrows
Mouseketeer

Any other options I am not thinking off?
Old 07-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
SugarPlumFairyUK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodferry View Post
The gym was most definitely closed while we were there. They did shove a few treadmills and a couple free weights ( up to 15 pounds I think) into a tiny windowless room but that's not really a gym...Not sure if it has reopened, that was in June
We popped into Saratoga last year to check it out and one of the reasons we chose to book for this year was because they had a great gym (an enormous room in the spa building with just about every piece of kit you could imagine plus free weights) so looks like its not open.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #27
pixie2416
Mouseketeer

According to the Disney website, the spa and health club will re-open July 25.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #28
SugarPlumFairyUK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie2416 View Post
According to the Disney website, the spa and health club will re-open July 25.
Yep - the day after we leave!!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:23 AM   #29
Jkarrows
Mouseketeer

It is annoying when something changes and the reason you booked the hotel has either been removed or closed, shame disney can not give a bit more notice on these things.

They gave no notice apart from a few days that's the walkway was closing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: