DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #16
twinsouvenirs
Mother of Dragons :)

Just some key pieces to master if you haven't already--understand use year and figure out what month is best for your visits, visit a few resale sites to see the contracts for sale and their list prices, run the numbers of various properties you may consider paying special attention to the maintenance fees, which will constitute %80-90 of your total cost; initial purchase cost is only about %10-20. Consider buying two smaller contracts instead of one large one to allow you to downsize if you decide to if the Disney vacation regularity slows. Understand banking and borrowing--i.e. you can use up to 3 times your yearly allotment of points by pulling from the year before and after, but look into what happens to those points if you cancel. Make sure you understand the cancellation policies and the reservation process, and consider that unless you pay an additional fee , you get very limited housekeeping. Understand what peak season looks like and understand the 7 and 11 mo booking windows for reservations at your home resort v others. decide if it makes sense to split the points between two home resorts.

These are just the things I though were critical to understand--we recently made the decision to buy and we are taking a scouting trip soon to pick another home resort (we bought some GFV direct--enough to stay a peak week every other year in a 1 bedroom.)

Last edited by twinsouvenirs; 07-05-2013 at 08:10 PM.
twinsouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
Only because then we can get what we want for sure. And I thought I'd read that in order to have access to the Disney and Concierge collections, you have to buy direct? Buying direct isn't set in stone, just what we're leaning towards. I'm open to suggestions as to the pros/cons of resale vs direct!
Do you know what resort you are leaning towards buying? Though you can buy any resort direct there can be waitlists in order to get the points direct for some of the resorts. Disney gets points back for the older resorts from foreclosures and from the ROFR process when they decide to use that and some have to wait until the reaquire points.

Resale - you can get everything except VGF at this time. Since you are going to pay cash that really opens it up to lots of savings by purchasing resale. As you know you can't use resale points for any of the Disney Cruises, ABD etc. but you can still use them for any RCI exchanges and the Buena Vista Trading Co. Be aware that any of these items can be modified at anytime for both resale and direct purchases.

Since you don't necessarily need the points right away that also makes resale a good option since it will most likely take 60+ days from the time your offer until the closing date. And the money saved on 250 points could pay for a cruise or two (or maybe even three).

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #18
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
I guess what I said came out wrong - I'm aware that the DVC vacations are subject to availability. I'm also QUITE aware of how expensive Disney vacations are as we go every year. I'm in the early stages if research. I'm also a regular DISer, so I came to the DVC boards to learn. I really don't appreciate the condescension. We'll be at the Poly in 4 weeks, and plan to tour the DVC at SSR. I'll continue to research. Trust me, we don't even buy a TV without tons of research.
Sorry that you took my advice and comments that way, I don't flower it up. The comments made by others pretty much reaffirmed what I said.

Good luck with your adventure.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #19
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

My advice start small and build it up. We bought in with 220 AKV and have added on twice. While we love AKV we have found we also love BLT and now wish we had originally bought half and half. It takes time to see exactly how and where you will want to use your points buying several smaller contracts gives more flexibility.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #20
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

We're an older couple - grown children with no prospective GCs - so we decided to choose the minimum buy-in with the highest incentives. We've added small contracts on at different venues to get the home resort 11-month reservation advantage. We base the number on every other year usage for 6N. We don't like to cook nor are we big eaters so studios work for us.

We will probably eventually sell our larger contract just because it's so large - 160. We prefer the 55 to 100 number. We allowed our guide to steer us towards the 160 which if we were 1BR people would've been a good number for us.

We don't spend much time in the room so when we do travel with our grown children sharing isn't a problem. We only use our kitchen to make coffee and the fridge holds beverage of choice.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

I agree with the buying smaller contracts (and at multiple resorts if you like). Smaller contracts are easier to re-sell and go for a little bit more money...if you ever need/want to re-sell. I also like owning at multiple resorts for the 11 month booking advantage. We own OKW, HH and AKV. Since buying the original 200 OKW, we have added on in 25-100 point increments and wish our OKW was broken up too, but it works fine for us (MIL and FIL LOVE to stay at OKW in a 1BR and use our points).

I will tell you another thing that works for us...a sort of vacation pattern we fell into. We do every other year at WDW with AP/PAPs (bought with DVC discount) and do 2-3 shorter trips (hard for us to do longer than 4-6 days with kids' schedules and DH's work) in that year (we used TIW card for dining too). Then the alternate years we use our points for the DVC beach places...HH or VB (we prefer HH and will go there from now on). This year is a PAP year (5 day trip in Jan, 3 day sans kids trip in Oct and 5 day big family Xmas trip)...next year is HH. That way we save money, every other year, on park passes and flying from MD to FL (we can drive to HH).
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #22
rackle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
I agree with the buying smaller contracts (and at multiple resorts if you like). Smaller contracts are easier to re-sell and go for a little bit more money...if you ever need/want to re-sell. I also like owning at multiple resorts for the 11 month booking advantage. We own OKW, HH and AKV. Since buying the original 200 OKW, we have added on in 25-100 point increments and wish our OKW was broken up too, but it works fine for us (MIL and FIL LOVE to stay at OKW in a 1BR and use our points).

I will tell you another thing that works for us...a sort of vacation pattern we fell into. We do every other year at WDW with AP/PAPs (bought with DVC discount) and do 2-3 shorter trips (hard for us to do longer than 4-6 days with kids' schedules and DH's work) in that year (we used TIW card for dining too). Then the alternate years we use our points for the DVC beach places...HH or VB (we prefer HH and will go there from now on). This year is a PAP year (5 day trip in Jan, 3 day sans kids trip in Oct and 5 day big family Xmas trip)...next year is HH. That way we save money, every other year, on park passes and flying from MD to FL (we can drive to HH).
Completely off topic but I'm also from Maryland and that's our plan too (alternating HH and WDW every year). Hopefully one day maybe a DisneyLand trip in there too.
rackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post

Sorry that you took my advice and comments that way, I don't flower it up. The comments made by others pretty much reaffirmed what I said.

Good luck with your adventure.

Bill
It's all good. Thank you!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #24
Dizneefamily+4

Thanks again everyone! There's definitely a LOT to consider. I'm glad we're not in a rush and can take all the time we need to really figure this out!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Old 07-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #25
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackle View Post
Completely off topic but I'm also from Maryland and that's our plan too (alternating HH and WDW every year). Hopefully one day maybe a DisneyLand trip in there too.
Yeah...we wouldn't mind visiting DL or Aulani one day. Probably wait and do those when the kids are off at college and it will be just DH and I (2 airfares instead of 5).
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #26
twinsouvenirs
Mother of Dragons :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
Yeah...we wouldn't mind visiting DL or Aulani one day. Probably wait and do those when the kids are off at college and it will be just DH and I (2 airfares instead of 5).
I keep wanting to go on as many vacations as possible while the babies are free
Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #27
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So we've received the Fed Ex packet and read through all the DVC propaganda. I've perused the DVC boards. We're starting to get serious about purchasing. I know that your number of points depends on the amount of your investment.

My question is how many points do you get at say the minimum investment? And then how much more is the next level and how many points are allotted then? I just haven't found anywhere that explains this, and I'm not quite ready yet to call and ask. Thank you!
There is a lot of info about your situation we don't know to help us answer the question. You mentioned staying at the Poly so I'm assuming you have at least some Disney experience including in deluxe resorts. Assuming you are experienced enough with Disney to predict your future likely trips the next few years I'd say simply buy the number of points you think you'd use in a 2 BR at DVC resorts, less if you don't have several years of on site experience. I wouldn't buy any extra as a buffer in this situation though unless you expect your situation to change near term. Personally I'd suggest resale for the resorts available for a much reduced rate esp since those other options that you'd lose with buying resale actually add to your long term cost rather than reduce your vacation costs. Plus you'd have to buy more points to use for both than just for your DVC stays but a lot. I'd only buy GF if you plan to stay there most trips. Realize that the Poly should be selling in a few years so if that's an important location for you, you might want to hold out or buy a lot less and make due until it comes available.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #28
Dizneefamily+4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
There is a lot of info about your situation we don't know to help us answer the question. You mentioned staying at the Poly so I'm assuming you have at least some Disney experience including in deluxe resorts. Assuming you are experienced enough with Disney to predict your future likely trips the next few years I'd say simply buy the number of points you think you'd use in a 2 BR at DVC resorts, less if you don't have several years of on site experience. I wouldn't buy any extra as a buffer in this situation though unless you expect your situation to change near term. Personally I'd suggest resale for the resorts available for a much reduced rate esp since those other options that you'd lose with buying resale actually add to your long term cost rather than reduce your vacation costs. Plus you'd have to buy more points to use for both than just for your DVC stays but a lot. I'd only buy GF if you plan to stay there most trips. Realize that the Poly should be selling in a few years so if that's an important location for you, you might want to hold out or buy a lot less and make due until it comes available.
Great advice, thank you. We've taken 6 trips in the last 9 years - and have been going annually for the past 3 years. We've only stayed moderate and deluxe, with our deluxe experience being at Poly and WL. We'll actually be at the Poly in just under 4 weeks for an 8 day stay.

I know that DVC construction at the Poly is set to begin next year. Not sure if that's where we'd want to buy yet however. I know that we have no interest in GF. After some more research and from much of the advice, I'm starting to see the advantage of resale. We're also looking at renting points for our 2014 trip to get the DVC experience. Dh and I might even try a point rental for a trip without the kids (in addition to our regular trip with the kids.) Lots to consider!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Old 07-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #29
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Great advice, thank you. We've taken 6 trips in the last 9 years - and have been going annually for the past 3 years. We've only stayed moderate and deluxe, with our deluxe experience being at Poly and WL. We'll actually be at the Poly in just under 4 weeks for an 8 day stay.

I know that DVC construction at the Poly is set to begin next year. Not sure if that's where we'd want to buy yet however. I know that we have no interest in GF. After some more research and from much of the advice, I'm starting to see the advantage of resale. We're also looking at renting points for our 2014 trip to get the DVC experience. Dh and I might even try a point rental for a trip without the kids (in addition to our regular trip with the kids.) Lots to consider!
DVC is a different feel with less service, limited housekeeping so I think renting is a great idea. It'll give you time to save up if need be as well. Where are you leaning to as your main place to stay? If you simply want to be in a good option and save money, SSR tends to be the best value but OKW and AKV can be good as well. BWV for standard view reservations can overcome higher prices and shorter length of RTU for some.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #30
Dizneefamily+4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
DVC is a different feel with less service, limited housekeeping so I think renting is a great idea. It'll give you time to save up if need be as well. Where are you leaning to as your main place to stay? If you simply want to be in a good option and save money, SSR tends to be the best value but OKW and AKV can be good as well. BWV for standard view reservations can overcome higher prices and shorter length of RTU for some.
We're kind of leaning towards OKW, but AKV is a close 2nd. The thought of Poly DVC is awfully attractive too, but we'd obviously need to find out more about it once more details are made available. In any case, if we rent points, it'll likely be at OKW or AKV.
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: