Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
ElizabethG
When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
As I've said, if it works out financially, great - for us, it's always either been more to rent points than using a discount, or it's been only a minimal difference that wouldn't, for me, make up for the loss of daily housekeeping.
Everyone has such different experiences and priorities.

I am a control freak. I could never have rented DVC because I could not leave so much in the control of another. Buying into DVC was the only way for me to stay there.

My control issues also make me hate to have housekeeping. I like that they don't come everyday. On the days when they are supposed to clean our room, I leave the 'do not disturb' sign on the door.

That said, I think that DVC rentals are great. It benefits both the renter and the rentee.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:58 AM   #17
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cuteDISkids View Post
We just rented a 2BV at OKW. Rack rate for 2014 would have ran us $5700 for a week. Renting will cost us $2300. I don't see Disney offering a discount that good. Not only that but I would have to wait until mid fall to even know the discounts that will be offered. No thanks. I happily booked at 7 months and I know exactly what it is costing me!
As I've said, repeatedly, I'm glad it works for you, but I've not seen points at under $10/pt when we would be going, which is what it would have to be to make it worth it for us. We've always been able to get discounts without a problem, I could manage my own reservations, and I didn't have to do without housekeeping.
OurBigTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #18
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacky619 View Post
If this is what works for you, that's great. But you are either getting some amazing discounts somewhere or you are looking at renting from the wrong people (Or there are some room types where you don't save as much as others).

But DVC rentals aren't for everyone, if you want your daily housekeeping that is one thing we have to give up.
I don't really consider the AAA "an amazing discount" (20%), but it's always worked out better for us than renting points, on the rare occasions when we weren't able to get something better.

For example, using this year's rates, a 2BR at BC would be $6633 with AAA discount, and $6335 with the price paid for points at BC in the another post on this thread. And it's rare that I haven't been able to do better than AAA, either with AP, which I'll buy if the rates are good, or with a military discount.

I don't doubt for a second that it works out much better for some people, it just doesn't for us.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #19
Dacky619
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't really consider the AAA "an amazing discount" (20%), but it's always worked out better for us than renting points, on the rare occasions when we weren't able to get something better.

For example, using this year's rates, a 2BR at BC would be $6633 with AAA discount, and $6335 with the price paid for points at BC in the another post on this thread. And it's rare that I haven't been able to do better than AAA, either with AP, which I'll buy if the rates are good, or with a military discount.

I don't doubt for a second that it works out much better for some people, it just doesn't for us.
I'm not doubting that it doesn't work for you, but a 2 BR at BC next week would be $4900 if you rented from a site like David's. That means if you rented privately you could get it for less than that. I'm not sure what time of year the other post mentioned but the only time more expensive than now is Spring break and the Holidays. I didn't see the other thread so I apologize if I'm off base here (and I'm assuming it is a 7 night/8 day trip).

and I do consider getting 20% off from AAA a great discount. The most they have offered us was 5% (not counting the Disney public discounts).

Last edited by Dacky619; 07-02-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Dacky619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #20
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If this is what works for you, that's great. But you are either getting some amazing discounts somewhere or you are looking at renting from the wrong people (Or there are some room types where you don't save as much as others).

But DVC rentals aren't for everyone, if you want your daily housekeeping that is one thing we have to give up.
Or you are comparing apples and oranges which many people do. I have seen people compare the price of a discounted hotel room with renting a 2 bedroom villa. Obviously in that case renting points is not going to be cheaper but you are getting much much better facilities for a good price.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #21
Dacky619
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
Or you are comparing apples and oranges which many people do. I have seen people compare the price of a discounted hotel room with renting a 2 bedroom villa. Obviously in that case renting points is not going to be cheaper but you are getting much much better facilities for a good price.
Everyone is looking for something different. Some compare offsite villas to DVC and only look at the price and space.

It is easier looking at a DVC Villa through renting points or a cash reservation with a discount and what is better for people. It is comparing apples to apples on this one I'm just curious as to the times where it might be cheaper to pay cash over renting points.

Dacky619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #22
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
All true. We've always been able to get the 20% AAA discount at the very least, and usually either AP or military discounts, so for us, renting has never made financial sense, as it will have to save me at least $500 before I'm willing to give up the daily housekeeping, but that's just me.
And the really funny thing??? I hate daily housekeeping! It's one of the things I love about staying on points! In fact, I usually hang out my 'privacy please' hanger when not staying on points! I hate having people in my room. I hate having to worry about returning midday only to find my room is still unmade up..and the housekeeper is two doors down. No privacy!!

I have seldom found a AAA discount that is all that great. Maybe up to 10% but usually less. Renting points (or using someone else's reservation) is not for everyone. But, I have 'rented' out a reservation through David's site and it worked out great. The people that 'used' my reservation at BWV got a great deal. But it's not for everyone.

For instance....I'm staying at SSR, in a studio, this Dec. From Dec 3-9. I am using 78 points to do so. If I booked that same room through WDW, it would come to $3024. If I booked it through David's DVC Rental site? $1014. Now, that is rack rate. Even if you got a 40% discount, that would still be around $1800 through WDW. And that 40% discount isn't going to come around very often. That's a lot of money to pay for daily housekeeping. You can get daily housekeeping in a DVC unit. It will cost you but not nearly what it costs to pay for the same unit through WDW!!!

Last edited by goofy4tink; 07-02-2013 at 10:13 AM.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Everyone is looking for something different. Some compare offsite villas to DVC and only look at the price and space.

It is easier looking at a DVC Villa through renting points or a cash reservation with a discount and what is better for people. It is comparing apples to apples on this one I'm just curious as to the times where it might be cheaper to pay cash over renting points.
I believe the examples are 1-2 bedrooms in the summer, with a discount. There are periods of time when Disney is in value season but DVC is not In Adventure season (the DVC equivalent to value season).
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #24
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm not doubting that it doesn't work for you, but a 2 BR at BC next week would be $4900 if you rented from a site like David's. That means if you rented privately you could get it for less than that. I'm not sure what time of year the other post mentioned but the only time more expensive than now is Spring break and the Holidays. I didn't see the other thread so I apologize if I'm off base here (and I'm assuming it is a 7 night/8 day trip).

and I do consider getting 20% off from AAA a great discount. The most they have offered us was 5% (not counting the Disney public discounts).
My bad, I wasn't clear - the $6635 number is based on a 14 July arrival date for 10 nights at a BC 2BR Villa, using the $13.43/pt in a previous post about BC. David's would be more, $6900+.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
gaunce78
Earning My Ears

Quick question, we have reservations already, but are waiting to see if we can get our full stay through buying points from a DVC member. We have all, but one night so far & the plan is to stay at the AkL. Does anybody know how easy it is to cancel the reservation we already have and switch it to the one we want? Will there be any fees involved? Also, what about the dining reservations we already have, will that be a problem getting things switched over? Thanks! 8
gaunce78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #26
jtwibih
Mouseketeer

dining reservations

I don't know about the ease of switching but I will say that your dining reservations shouldn't change at all. They are not linked to a reservation number.

Past: Apr 2014 - DCL; Nov 2013 - BWV/AKV; Apr 2013 - DLH; Nov 2012 - AKV; Nov 2011 - WL; Nov 2010 - WL; May 2010 - CSR; Jun 2009 - AKL; Apr 2008 - AKL/WL; Jul 2007 - SS; Aug 2006 - POFQ; Aug 2005 - POFQ; Aug 2004 - offsite
jtwibih is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: