Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Red face

Well no disrespect to anyone else but the OP has made a reasonable observation. This is very noticable especially after you have been on DCL.
We have done many trips where we cruise first then go to WDW. The CMs on the cruise are above and beyond personable. Upon arriving at the resorts the difference is considerable- we are not people who like to be pampered but when you are approaching a CM in a hallway and there is no exchange even if you attempt first that is not ok.
We have been going for many years and there is a huge difference then when we first started going.

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post

Remember they have bills to pay, kids in high school or toddlers not sleeping etc.
It is a lot of work to be a great CM at Disney.
Very true. Disney takes a great deal of care to train employees and to make sure they present themselves in the Disney way. They can't be perfect, however, and there are going to be times when the workers behave like a person rather than a CM. It sounds like they did not acknowledge you when you were walking past each other, not that they ignored you when you were trying to get service. I think there's a difference between the two. I wonder what time of day you were in the hallway? If it were morning or late evening, maybe they are not supposed to talk in the hotel corridors to keep from waking other guests?

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #18
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

Fewer than 3 people per day? I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Really, you spent vacation time tracking something like this and let it upset you. I think some people let the littlest things bother them.
Poohforyou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why
Fell for it on 17th birthday
Can't travel in old underwear and socks!
Stop eating with food in your mouths!

Honestly, as long as CMs aren't rude to me, I really don't care. I couldn't tell you how many passed me with or without smiling at me or saying hello. This wouldn't even be a blip on my radar.
Castle Every morning I bring you a cup of coffee, just so I can see a smile on your face. Because I think you are the most remarkable, maddening, challenging, frustrating, person I've ever met. And I love you Kate

Beckett:There is one inexplicable, mysterious phenomenon that I do believe in stillÖ us.

Castle: So whatever happens, and whatever you decide, Katherine Houghton Beckett, will you marry me?

Beckett: Richard Edgar Alexander Rodgers Castle yes, I will marry you.

Castle: Everything Iíve ever done, every choice Iíve ever made, every terrible or wonderful thing thatís ever happened to me, itís all led me to right here, this moment with you.

Beckett: I need you to know that our partnership, our relationship, is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. You're an amazing man and I love you with all of my heart. Always.
Missy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The CMs on the cruise are above and beyond personable
This is pretty much the case on any cruise I have been on..not Disney but particularly Celebrity. The difference being these people are earning their tips which you will be leaving in little envelopes at the end of your cruise, and we were specifically told of the perks they get for glowing comment cards. They HAVE to work that much harder to be friendly.. it pays their bills. And as friendly as they are, sometimes it's too much and I feel like saying "Don't worry I will tip you" because I felt bad for them.

As far as resorts I expect polite, like I do from anyone I come in contact with, but that's about it. I'm thinking of the resort castmembers this past week. The resorts are likely packed, they are likely being run off their feet, and putting out a million fires. My guess is sometimes they are just plain tired.
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
LiveYourLife
Creator of the: "I'm typing. And I'm backspacing. I'm typing. And I'm backspacing." therapeutic response for frustrated DISers.

They were too busy fawning over me. I spent $301.00 a night on my room
Old 07-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #23
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
They were too busy fawning over me. I spent $301.00 a night on my room
I guess you wore them out!
Stinky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #24
Alexander
DIS Veteran

Just speculating here, while the CMs are likely told to smile and greet the guests, I wonder how many come from countries where making eye contact and talking to strangers is not the norm. I always greet them first with a warm hello and friendly how are you. They are working their butts off for us, I feel we should be as friendly to them as they are to us.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #25
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2minnies View Post
Well no disrespect to anyone else but the OP has made a reasonable observation. This is very noticable especially after you have been on DCL.
We have done many trips where we cruise first then go to WDW. The CMs on the cruise are above and beyond personable. Upon arriving at the resorts the difference is considerable- we are not people who like to be pampered but when you are approaching a CM in a hallway and there is no exchange even if you attempt first that is not ok.
We have been going for many years and there is a huge difference then when we first started going.

Linda
But you can't really compare a Disney World resort to a Disney World Cruise. Been on both. You are really pampered on the cruise because you basically have certain people "assigned" to you. It was great to have the fine service on the cruise but the person for us didn't have an entire floor of rooms to clean. She might have had twenty. And our two servers for our dinners only had a few tables. I don't think that's comparable to every single Cast Member at a Disney resort.

I posted earlier about staying offsite this trip. I'm here now and while the front desk person did an amazing job with a big snafu on our check-in process, I've seen other employees and have gotten nothing from any of them. Most just glance the other way. Never have that happen at Disney World.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #26
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

I can't believe people notice such petty stuff while on vacation.

disneyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #27
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

I wouldn't lose sleep over it and it wouldn't ruin my stay.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #28
Texas Barbie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
Really, you spent vacation time tracking something like this and let it upset you. I think some people let the littlest things bother them.
This.

You're at the most magical place on earth. Enjoy it, and don't sweat the small stuff.
Texas Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #29
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
It's kind of funny about different guests having different experiences at different resorts.

I always come back from Pop Century and remark that I was so tired of having to be nice to all the Cast Members I encountered because they greeted me all the time. From the front desk person to the housekeepers to the mainteance people to the trash collectors, etc. I'm normally not a person who speaks first but they all did to me.

So no, resort Cast Members aren't all "lazy". I'm starting a Disney World trip tomorrow and staying offsite. I'll guarantee you I have almost no intereraction with any of the employees there except to get my room key.
I wouldn't necessarily bet on it. We stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek this past May. I have never seen such a bunch of nice, almost overly friendly employees. Everyone we saw spoke to us and almost everyone asked if we were having a good time and if there was anything we needed, to just ask. I just wanted them to leave us alone. I will nod, smile, and even say hello to anyone, but am not one to carry on a conversation with strangers, but my husband never meets a stranger and is willing to talk to anyone for hours at time. I got so frustrated with him (and them). It was like we could never finish a conversation and it took forever to get from place to place.

Last edited by aubriee; 07-05-2013 at 04:02 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #30
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

I remember once at the boardwalk we had a family contest who spoke to the most CMs in one day because they all said hi. I believe we lost track it was so many.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread