Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #91
stephen1971
Earning My Ears

I say, bring back the edutainment......... and carpeted walls
stephen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #92
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

Why is EPCOT the only park without Disney's in the name? It's Disney's Magic Kingdom, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom. Why not Disney's Epcot?
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #93
daannzzz
OMG...Theres my favorite scrambled egg salad
Enjoys the magic of Disneyland in December
: I am becoming a bit more adventurous in my dining habits

Disney's Epcotarama.
daannzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #94
Carbonfiber07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
While I still do love Epcot, I'll agree that it is soulless compared to EPCOT Center of the 80's and early 90's.

I think its hard for those that never experienced EPCOT during those years to understand that it was much more than a collection of rides, there was a palatable sense of wonder, a sense of inspiration, that just permeated through Future World. Going through the FW attractions was like attending a giant pep rally for the future, you got the feeling that it was just around the corner and it was going to be AWESOME!

Limitless communication; multiple renewable and clean energy sources; efficient transportation; medical breakthroughs; undersea living; sustainable agriculture- it was all possible, it was all within our reach, if we only had the imagination and the belief that if we could dream it, we could do it.

It was heady stuff, and as a kid it seemed even more magical than anything at the Magic Kingdom, because it was (or at leas could be) REAL.

Compare all of that to today, and yeah, soulless does come to mind. FW is not bad, but it certainly does not possess the "soul" of inspiration and wonder that it once head.

I still enjoy Epcot, and I think rides like Nemo are cute and MS are fun, but I wish that Disney hadn't let the wonder and inspiration slip away.
Yes. Just yes.

Carbonfiber07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #95
Bothepro24
Mouseketeer

Souless

The thing to remember, you are now what EPCOT used to talk about, a mindless. Vacationer zipping around with your cell phone videoing every thing, using all the apps available, texting instead of talking and just moving about at such a pace you need a week at home to recover. I don't think that was Walts vision, we have been captured by people who have mastered getting fools to part with their money and on their terms not yours. Next time forget the apps, just enjoy the parks and just enjoy what you can.
Bothepro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #96
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1971 View Post
I say, bring back the edutainment......... and carpeted walls
Well, then you would have parents saying Future World is boring for their kids so they aren't even going to go there. Vacation does not equal education for a lot of families (not mine but people don't want to think and neither do kids while off school).
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #97
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

We had a spirited debate about almost this very topic last year:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2911487

Funny how some things never change....

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF

Last edited by jhaig; 06-04-2013 at 08:28 PM.
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #98
916chipndale
You've got a friend in me It all started by a mouse

Epcot is my least favorite park. I never did care for it. Don't know why. Just never liked Soarin', used to like Test Track but now it just breaks down constantly, and I could do without World Showcase. Illuminations is alright, but I prefer Wishes and Fantasmic.

Now I am not saying Epcot is a bad park. We all have different likes and dislikes. Which is why Disney is great, there is a park for everyone.
2005-Beach Club Resort
2007-All Star Movies Resort
2008-Polynesian Resort
December 2010-All Star Sports Resort
916chipndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #99
Marshel
Mouseketeer

I think the brass at Disney got spoiled by the amount of money they were able to pull out of corporate sponsors to help fund and operate FW in the 80s and 90s. WoL never reopened despite having 2 popular attraction because they couldn't get a new company to come in. Even MS was sponsored by HP originally. I will come to the defense of MS, Walt always wanted to let park guests experience things like space flight that they wouldn't be able to in real life. While unfortunate that so many are unwilling or unable to do the Orange side, it is as close to the actual experience of being launched into space as the vast majority of us will ever be able to experience. The real shame of FW is that WoL pavilion sits there boarded up and Disney's willingness to let the Imagination pavilion operate with obviously sub-par attractions.
Marshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #100
wookiebeck
Fan of both WDW and USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjallemand View Post

Sigh.
Wow. Better than words! Like looking at my yearbook. Yeah, I know it is 'the old days' but there are still memories and fondness.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #101
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

Soul is where you dig it

DUDES, with Crush at the livin Seas being like RIGHTEOUS n stuff, no way does Epcot lack soul. You are just on the wrong side of the tank. Horizon was cool um knarley but the future is like SWIMMIN TA MARS. Why ride a slow movin people mover thru a talk about motion when you now can like actually MOVE and fast at TT. The Dino dudes are still at Energy, but I still don't like Ellen. VOICE sounds familiar, but I liked her better when she was BLUE. Don't mix up nostalgia with no soul. Find the right current and you'll get there faster.

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #102
bellaally
DIS Veteran

Hey mr. Grumpy gills

So dramatic ....I remember visiting Epcot for the first time, it's like it was yesterday. Oh yea the first time I visited was this year. I love the place soaring was amazing. Mission space was crazy. My kids had a blast with figment. Going though the world is so mind blowing the full immersion from one country to the next. Every single detail the sights, smells and sounds were on point. Add all the beautiful topiaries and colors from flower and garden. I love EPCOT.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #103
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

I thought this thread died already.

Totally agree. I'd rather be in my local Six Flags park where at least things are updated and the theming is consistent.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | Moving to L.A. 2015!

mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #104
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
Nope. I think Epcot is a wonderful park and I thoroughly enjoy it.
I agree.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #105
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaally View Post
So dramatic ....I remember visiting Epcot for the first time, it's like it was yesterday. Oh yea the first time I visited was this year. I love the place soaring was amazing. Mission space was crazy. My kids had a blast with figment. Going though the world is so mind blowing the full immersion from one country to the next. Every single detail the sights, smells and sounds were on point. Add all the beautiful topiaries and colors from flower and garden. I love EPCOT.
Epcot is my family's favorite park, and has been from the first trip. It feels far from soulless to me.

One of my friends hates Epcot, and is not even planning on visiting during her trip next month. To her, it is too educational and not fun.

I think this is another case of different strokes for different folks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: