Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
DisneyFanSince71
Mouseketeer

In Orlando; how to get the DIS thrill when not in the park?

The way that my family and I tour Disney is that we have the 10-day, no expiration, park hopper, +10 events ticket and use them for 3 separate Disney vacations.

So on the Disney days we will hit a Disney park at RD, go to a couple of parks, and leave at closing time. The next day will be a slower day of Disney Quest and/or a Water Park. Or go to Universal. After the slow day then we go back to Disney again from RD to closing.

For my next trip, I am looking for other things to do that are Disney, but don't require me to go into the park, and was hoping that the DISers could help me expand the list.

Thus far.....
Hoop De Do Review
Watch a game at ESPN Club and tour Boardwalk
Tour Animal Kingdom Lodge

DisneyFanSince71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Segway tour at FW
Drink/snack around the monorail
Enjoy the boardwalk/epcot resorts
Watch Wishes from the Poly beach and have a dole whip.
Mini golf
Campfire at the fort

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
whencanwegoback
Earning My Ears

A couple of years ago my wife and I had an evening to do just this. We were at a conference without tickets and a 8 day/7 night family trip just 2 weeks away. It was my birthday so we started with dinner at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. Easily one of the best meals we've ever had on property, if not in our lives. From there we went back to the room to change and headed out for our evening.

We took a bus to DTD and grabbed drinks as we walked through from one end to the other. Next was a boat ride to OKW, where we again grabbed drinks from a bar there. Another bus ride over to TTC where we then caught the monorail to EPCOT and back. We switched to the resort monorail and road to the Poly and parked ourselves at Tamu-Tamu. We tried talking the bartender into bread pudding but despite my birthday buttons she was adamant that it was against policy. We took drinks out to watch the MK fireworks from the beach and returned to the Tamu-Tamu bar where we were surprised with a Ohana's bread pudding by the bartender (huge tip for her). From there we bussed back to Coronado Springs ending one of the most perfect birthdays ever. Being with my wife, people watching and enjoying the Disney magic. Who needs theme parks.
whencanwegoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
mummabear
DIS Veteran

Chip and Dale camfire at FW
Any of the character meals at the resorts
Pirates and Pals cruise
Wishes from Poly or FW
DTD
Hidden Mickey Hunt at FW or AK lodges
Night veiwing of animals from AKL
Resrt hop
Drawing lessons at AOA
Boardwalk
mummabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
winthropf
Mouseketeer

Yehaa Bob at POR lounge. Wed.-Sat. starting at 8:30. Great family entertainment.
winthropf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
kmb584
DIS Veteran

• Soak in the Disney atmosphere at DTD with maybe a game or two at Splitsville thrown into the mix.
  • Take in a round of mini golf at Winter Summerland or Fantasia Gardens.
  • Go see La Nouba (Cirque is incredible, period).
  • Do a resort tour.
  • Watch Wishes and the EWP from the Poly beach.
  • Do a night animal viewing at AKL.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Shop for bargains at the Disney Character Warehouses, over at the Vineland Outlet Mall or the Outlet Mall on International drive.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
goofydad621
DIS Veteran

Rent one of the boats on one of the Disney waterways, Over on Bay Lake or seven seas lagoon you can get photo ops that are almost impossible to get otherwise, Try pari-sailing, singles or tandem and a choice of 2 heights 450' or 600' get a view like never before! Our DD wants to do this so badly that we are going to buy it for her on our trip in Jan and will pay for the tandem for her and her friend. Make a scavenger hunt of things outside of the parks, with clues to lead that family around the property, specific items at specific locations. Hidden mickeys on certain signs, pictures in front of totem inside Wilderness lodge and a special desert at Beachs and Cream at the end of the night for all that complete it. There is a ton of stuff you can do if you are willing to put in a littel pre-trip work.

PS Great to meet you last night, Was a AWESOME nigt all around

Goofydad621
Been there done that got the t-shirt and going back
goofydad621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
nugov2
DIS Veteran

We did this on our off days and it was great. Do a CM and then follow up with one of the activities posted above and it will be a great day. There are a lot of great places to eat on property. Also spend part of a day exploring/eating at City Walk at U/IOA. I wish I would have known before we went how nice that was. Better than DTD. Wish we would of have time for that, but we spent our last full day at U/IOA and didn't get to experience until it was too late
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
jkramer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugov2 View Post
We did this on our off days and it was great. Do a CM and then follow up with one of the activities posted above and it will be a great day. There are a lot of great places to eat on property. Also spend part of a day exploring/eating at City Walk at U/IOA. I wish I would have known before we went how nice that was. Better than DTD. Wish we would of have time for that, but we spent our last full day at U/IOA and didn't get to experience until it was too late
I had trouble with this sentence for a long time. I wasn't sure how Disney that would be.

Then I figured out you meant Character Meal!!!
1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997-offsite, 2000-Dixie Landings, 2001-CSR, 2004-FW, 2013-Dolphin (April) Honeymoon and DH's FIRST trip 2013-Offsite/ASSp (Dec) Merry Christmas, 2014-POR (Feb) DH's birthday with the In-Laws, 2014-CBR, YC, and ASMu (May) My B-day and SWW.Upcoming:-CR, WL, and ASMu (Nov) My parents' 15th Anniversary
jkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
wwitt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramer

I had trouble with this sentence for a long time. I wasn't sure how Disney that would be.

Ohhhhh....so glad you clarified! I just giggled & moved on (to each his own), but really wasn't sure about the CM comment =D
wwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

Since we have family in Florida, we often end up in Orlando on non-Disney trips when we are visiting them, but still want a little "Disney fix", lol! That's what DTD and Boardwalk are for, imo. We never spend time at those places if we have park tickets in hand, since I think of them as the "free Disney". But we've had a lot of fun and made a lot of good memories there on non-park trips.

Even though I'm not a big shopper, I still enjoy soaking in the Disney Magic just wandering around DTD, and of course there are a lot of great places to eat there. And you can see Illuminations fireworks from the Boardwalk. Or if you want to see the Wishes fireworks, check out the observation deck at CR.

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA | 2014: POR
Upcoming Trips: 12/14 - WL | 7/15 - ASMusic | 3/16 - DCL Fantasy - W.Car (7 nights)
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramer

Lol...yes character meal
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

* AKL - animals, story time, night vision, tour, food and drinks.
* DTD - World of Disney store!
* Mini Golf
* HDDR

Have fun!
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Mickeys B-B-Q at Ft Wilderness

Tags
offsite

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: