Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaggie View Post
We live our olympus tough. Great camera overall.
I agree, I was really happy with my first "tough". Had 5 good years with it before I broke it trying to show off how durable it was (I threw it on a cement floor to show a friend lol... Don't recommend it). After that it still worked great just wasn't waterproof anymore.

I just got an Olympus TG-2 which is kind of a next generation. It has all the same rugged features but you can attach lenses to it. I bought it and a zoom lens for our upcoming Alaskan cruise, and the add-on lenses are waterproof too (have tested at the beach already).

http://m.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-tg2
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #17
Joan1
DIS Veteran

thanks everyone will check out all the recommendations this weekend
Joan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #18
DreamSweetsLove
Loves Mickey

We just bought the new HDR-GW66V video camera from Sony and it's very good. The video quality is not as good as our main video camera because the sensor is not as big but it's not a very noticable difference. It's small and lightweight and I like that you can charge it by USB with a portable charger so we don't need extra batteries for it and don't need to worry if the extra battery is charged. It also has a built in projector option but that version doesn't come in blue or white and makes the camera slightly larger. This version also allows for a wide conversion lens add on. The summer event starts at TDR on Monday so I will up some videos then if you would like to check it out while it's getting doused in water!

Here is an article with more detail, it should be out or about to be released in the US. I know for sure last years model is available there.
HDR-GW66V

Here is one sample video, it was just released so not many sample videos are out, it shows what the video looks like under water. Sorry about the weird guys feet.
Sample vieo
Old 07-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
motherof2boys
Mouseketeer

My 10 year old has the Kodak Playsport. He loves it. It is a great camera. I used it at Discovery Cove last year. I got the Nikonon Cool Pix for Christmas. We're here now & I've used it in the Hotel Pool. I love it. I'm not sure how much it was, maybe $200something? I used it snowboarding over the Winter too. It takes great pictures!
2013 Celebrating Graduations, 3 nights at Universal Hotel, 8 nights at Wilderness Lodge
2012 Christmas/Anniversary Trip at the Boardwalk, 1 horrible night off property, Wilderness Cabin
2012 Split stay at Tree House Villa's (with Mom, Brother & SIL, Brother & GF) & AKL
2011 1 Surprise night at Nickeloden Hotel & AKL (bought more points at Saratoga Springs at Member Event)
2010 Split Stay BLT & AKL (bought into DVC after last years surprise)
2009 All Star Sports then Surprised the Boys w/2 nights at AKL, booked a 3rd night on-line & got Family of the day & Concierge Level
2008 All Star Movies with the MIL
motherof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #20
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
I have a Kodak Easyshare Sport Waterproof Camera, I think they are around $75 on Amazon.

Good little point and shoot camera, great in the sunlight and indoors if its not to dark.
x2 plus it is cheap enough if you loose it or it gets broken you will not cry too hard. Just be sure to get a bright color, they do not float so if you drop it "in the lazy river" a bright color will make it easier to find.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
DMLAINI
Mouseketeer

Nikon Coolpix. Took great pics & has a fireworks setting.
DMLAINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #22
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMLAINI View Post
Nikon Coolpix. Took great pics & has a fireworks setting.
I think most of them have that now. I know the Olympus Tough line does. They even have a feature of which I'm not sure the necessity, but they have a setting that will automatically take a picture anytime the camera detects a dog or cat's face lol!
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #23
Court475
Mouseketeer

I got a Nikon Coolpix AW100 for Christmas and love it. Had a blast using it at the beach 2 weeks ago.

01/1999 OKW
04/2003 Off-Site
11/2007 SSR
03/2011 OKW
11/2013 - OKW
Court475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #24
dud2001
Earning My Ears

I have brought my Panasonic Lumix to Disney World the last 2 visits. Works great at all the water parks and actually takes decent regular shots as well. My daughter dropped it a Typhoon Lagoon and it bounced down 5 steps. Still worked perfect.
dud2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #25
Cuchman
Imaginary Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
I have a Kodak Easyshare Sport Waterproof Camera, I think they are around $75 on Amazon.

Good little point and shoot camera, great in the sunlight and indoors if its not to dark.
I have one of those too - works great at local waterparks - and you can shoot 720p at 60 fps - makes for EXCELLENT slow motion shots of splashing and falling water.

Take a moment to stop, breathe, and take it all in.

Cuchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #26
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

I just bought a Fuji XP60 from Costco on sale a couple weeks ago and we like it so far. I tried to video some fireworks on the 4th and the video didn't come out great, but other video experiences were pretty good. My kids love that we can put it in the pool and take pictures underwater. Got it mainly for the water parks and so I don't have to worry about my DSLR when we get caught in the August mid-day downpours.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #27
frisbeego
Mouseketeer

For something a little different, you might try the gopro. There are numerous different camera mounts. For example, you can attach it to your wrist, to your chest, to your head, or to your bike handlebars. There is also a floatie so it doesn't sink.

Here is my (non-Disney) vacation video from last year. Most of the pictures and videos in the video are from a gopro, either the one I was wearing or the one that the company used. (The bungy pictures were not taken with a gopro, though I wish I had the wrist mount at the time.)

The gopro looks simple, but it has a ton of features and picture/video options.
frisbeego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #28
lsbgvadvcer
Earning My Ears

We use the Fuji XP as well and really like it. It's been on a cruise to the caribbean, played around in the pool at Disney World and at our local pool/waterpark. Great pics all the time!
lsbgvadvcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #29
jwjulie
Earning My Ears

I have the kodak easy share play sport as well, as some others have said. I've used it at blizzard beach, various hotel pools, a few other waterparks, and on some water rides. I even used it on our last Disney vaca to take regular pictures in the parks. You can also buy a bright yellow ( ours is yellow, I've seen them selling orange ) kodak strap that will float in the water in case it slips from your hands. The strap can be worn, too, so I normally keep it around my wrist.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: