Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

New Years Eve

Hey all!

So, I just booked by ADR's this morning for my NYE trip to the world. So excited to have gotten Via Napoli on NYE!

This will be my family's first trip to WDW that week and I know it will be very crowded, but what else is there to know? I'd love some tips! Is anyone a regular that time of year?

Also, I obviously plan on going to EPCOT on NYE, when do we have to arrive? What's the latest in the day usually before the park reaches full capacity (if it does). (I know that the ADR does not guarantee park admission.) OR does anyone have an absolute reason why we shouldn't do EPCOT on NYE? I picked EPCOT over MK because a) I just like EPCOT more and b)MK does the fireworks the night before and since we are staying at the WL, I figured it'd be easy enough to watch them from another MK resort.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

disneylovin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

I think your plans for NYE make perfect sense! And I have never been over NYE, but speaking from what I've read here on the boards, I don't think Epcot often reaches the higher stages of closing. It has a much larger capacity than MK I believe.

Dreaming of my next countdown ticker

My awesomely awesome first ever solo trip to the World trip report! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post46328869

Past WDW trips:'86 off-prop., '89 CBR, '94 CBR, '99 off-prop., '01 ASMusic, '01 CBR, '07 ASMusic, '08 PC, '09 3 nights POFQ, 4 nights Wonder, '10 6 nights AKL, '12 AS Sports w/ToT 10 Miler
Previous cruises: RCCL Enchantment of the Seas w/Metro Dance 11/08 (maybe you saw us perform in the theater!)
DisneyBelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBelle27 View Post
I think your plans for NYE make perfect sense! And I have never been over NYE, but speaking from what I've read here on the boards, I don't think Epcot often reaches the higher stages of closing. It has a much larger capacity than MK I believe.
That's another reason why I chose it! I really love EPCOT, but it also just makes more sense to me on NYE (unless the fireworks aren't that good which I doubt). More eating options, more space and so on.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

We've done Epcot on NYE, and while it was very crowded, there was always room to move. It was never shoulder to shoulder. I would recommend it over any other park.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
PrincessBrittany06
Earning My Ears

I worked NYE in epcot's worldshow case in 2011 during my disney college program. Epcot rarely reaches capacity so basically you can show up whenever you want and you'll get in! However, it's a matter of where you want to view the firework show. Personally, for this specific showing I don't want to spoil anything but anywhere in the World Showcase would be considered a good viewing area.

There is also a firework show during the evening and than again at midnight! Epcot also opens up their big access gates and they give you plastic top hats and noisemakers! Although it's super crowded, it was a super cool environment! Personally, I thought the worst aspect about NYE in Disney is that there is ALWAYS a tremendous line for the rest rooms, even the male rest rooms and that's saying something!

I hope your family has a magical trip!
PrincessBrittany06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBrittany06 View Post
I worked NYE in epcot's worldshow case in 2011 during my disney college program. Epcot rarely reaches capacity so basically you can show up whenever you want and you'll get in! However, it's a matter of where you want to view the firework show. Personally, for this specific showing I don't want to spoil anything but anywhere in the World Showcase would be considered a good viewing area.

There is also a firework show during the evening and than again at midnight! Epcot also opens up their big access gates and they give you plastic top hats and noisemakers! Although it's super crowded, it was a super cool environment! Personally, I thought the worst aspect about NYE in Disney is that there is ALWAYS a tremendous line for the rest rooms, even the male rest rooms and that's saying something!

I hope your family has a magical trip!
Thanks for all the tips

I love EPCOT's atmosphere in general (which I've probably made known already) and I just love the idea of celebrating NYE in multiple countries

My next question was actually going to be what time do people generally start camping out for spots? Now I'm starting to think that a 7:45 dinner reservation will get us out too late to get a prime spot. I know there are a lot of good spots but still. Oh well, we'll see it no matter where we are.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
mrsR123
Mad about the mouse
Teacher, teacher, can you teach me?

We're going to Via on NYE, too! Bummed that I couldn't get a BOG ressie for any nit of my trip, but the dining rep encouraged me to keep trying. She said more tables will be loaded later on.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

We've been going for 5 years and will be there again this year. Yes Epcot is a good choice for NYE, that's where we always go. We make both lunch and dinner ressies. The CS places are usually very crowded so go either early or late for lunch. Yes it will be mad crowded, but still manageable. We get there around 10ish (we are not early birds) and have never had a problem. It can sometimes be cold (for Florida) so dress accordingly. There are more rest rooms set up. The old Millenium one in WS is opened and it's huge and never has a wait. There are tons of different "NYE" drinks in the different world showcases and I can tell you they are yummy!! LOL!! The atmosphere is great, DJS are around the park and the music gets people in the mood. Also they do the NYE fireworks at MK the night before also so you can see them then if you want. Don't forget to pick up your hats and horns. They will be around the park and you won't have any trouble finding them. I hope you and your family have a good time. We always have.

Enjoy The Magic!!
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
rluey29
Wish I was in Disney, Hooray, Hooray!!!

Was there couple years ago and at 10:00 in the morning it was shoulder to shoulder with people. We couldn't maneuver our stroller through the people so we decided to leave. If it had been just me and my wife we may have stayed, but with 2 kids it was not going to be fun.
2009 Pop Century
2010 Off-site (June)
2010 Were moving to Florida!!! (August)
2010-present living about 35 minutes from Disney! (every weekend)
2011-first time camping at Fort Wilderness!!!
rluey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Ksquared
Mouseketeer

sorry to highjack the thread but I have a question.

if we went to a park on NYE we would be driving since we are staying outside the resorts. what about once the midnight fireworks are over? does it take forever to get out of the parks and parking lots???
Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
Jenna319
DIS Veteran

We were at epcot for NYE last year and it was probably one of the best nights of my life. Despite it being the most crowded night of the year, I would do it again in a heartbeat. We had a 7pm ADR at rose and crown but after an hour of waiting in the mass crowds we walked over to boardwalk for a hot dog instead. Got back into epcot probably around 930. I agree that the worst part was the long lines for the bathroom. I literally waited an hour, I thought I was going to have to go in a corner it got that bad!! We stayed at BCV and I would def recommend staying at one of the epcot resorts. I would not have wanted to worry about the wait for the buses. The DJs are fantastic- it was awesome to see epcot in this huge party atmosphere. Absolutely amazing.
Jenna319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
Jenna319
DIS Veteran

Oh and DEFINITELY make it over to MK on the 30th for their fireworks at midnight. Best. fireworks. EVER.
Jenna319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Thanks for all the advice

It definitely sounds like EPCOT is going to be an amazing experience on NYE!

Old 07-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
joenan88
DIS Veteran

We are going to Epcot NYE, as well....I couldn't get Rose and Crown so our backup was Biergarten in Germany which we got....we chose that restaurant because I read they celebrate NYE at the time of there country?? we don't want to stay in Epcot till midnight..my kids would be miserable..we are staying at the Yacht club so it is easy for us....is there any other restaurant someone would recommend that is fun? would love to hear from someone who did Germany on NYE our ressie is at 6:00pm..Thanks
(August 2011) Disney 4night Dream Cruise/ Universal Portofino
(December "Christmas 2010 )Disneyland~Grand Californian
(2010Feb) Disneyland/Universal Hollywood (2 rooms)
~(2009 August)The Wilderness Lodge (2 rooms) and The Portofino Club level @ Universal
~(2008 August) Surprised The Kiddies At The Grand Floridian Club Level for son's 8th Birthday and The Portofino Club level @ Universal
~(2007 November) The Polynesian and The Hard Rock @ Universal
~(2003 January) 1st Trip To WDW with my kids 2 rooms @ Disney All Star Movies
joenan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
ninecrayons
DIS Veteran

We did DHS last year for NYE and are doing it again. Last year we showed up around 5 and had a 9:00 reservation at DH's favorite - the Brown Derby. We were able to get a good spot for the fireworks after that too! Looking forward to doing that again this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
sorry to highjack the thread but I have a question.

if we went to a park on NYE we would be driving since we are staying outside the resorts. what about once the midnight fireworks are over? does it take forever to get out of the parks and parking lots???
Since we're localish, we drove up last year. It can take a while to get out of the parking lot. The hardest part for us waiting for someone to give way and let us back up. I would say it took about 30-45ish minutes extra.

"and then the world, / which is round and has only / the colors of these nine crayons" - Margaret Atwood

ninecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: