Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #31
pumpernickel
Mouseketeer

I say no stroller. If the kids doesn't have the stamina, it is time to go back to the room for a nap.
pumpernickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #32
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Just did five days of parks, and stepdaughter decided to bring one of those light umbrella strollers for her almost five year old. We were able to move along faster for example from bus to admission gate as the adults and bigger kids walk so much faster. The stroller also had a cover to protect her from heat. In retrospect she was glad she brought it.

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #33
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpernickel View Post
I say no stroller. If the kids doesn't have the stamina, it is time to go back to the room for a nap.
I honestly don't understand why some think leaving the park is a better option than having the tired child ride along in a stroller. Why should the vacation grind to a halt because a little one's short legs can't carry them as far as the adult's legs can?

I think a stroller for a 5 year old at WDW is pretty normal. I would either budget the money for one or bring one along. If you end up not needing it, then great! But if you do end up needing one at least you have it along or have the money to rent one. Not every family likes to take breaks. Do what makes your family happy.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #34
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I honestly don't understand why some think leaving the park is a better option than having the tired child ride along in a stroller.
I don't think it's ALWAYS better, but I think it's just as valid a choice. There's also the option of slowing down the pace of the trip so that the younger kids don;t get exhausted in the first place. The posts that baffle me are the ones where people seem to think that a stroller is an absolute necessity. It may be a necessity for touring in a certain specific kind of way (adult pace), but there's no law that says that certain specific way is the only way you can tour.

Personally, if I found that I was running my healthy school-age children so ragged on vacation that they were physically unable to walk by the end of the day, I would have to stand back and take a good hard look at why I felt the need to drive them that hard instead of letting them have a good time and set the pace. If I still decided to do it, it would be with the understanding that it was a choice I was deliberately making for some reason, not that I just "had"to do it by default.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #35
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

For a four year old? I'd bring one.

I'm not one for big kids in strollers but the amount of walking you do is going to wear out a four year old and even if all he needs it for is the ride back to the hotel, I think it's probably worth it. Grab a cheap umbrella stroller. No need for a behemoth.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #36
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
I don't think it's ALWAYS better, but I think it's just as valid a choice. There's also the option of slowing down the pace of the trip so that the younger kids don;t get exhausted in the first place. The posts that baffle me are the ones where people seem to think that a stroller is an absolute necessity. It may be a necessity for touring in a certain specific kind of way (adult pace), but there's no law that says that certain specific way is the only way you can tour.
I actually agree with you. There are a few choices--people can tour at a slow rate, and walk at the child's pace. They can walk a bit faster and take breaks. Or they can walk a little faster and have their child in a stroller. Each are valid ways to tour. It just seem some posters are very anti-stroller, and think stopping the vacation to go back to the resort is the ONLY way to tour.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #37
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
Personally, if I found that I was running my healthy school-age children so ragged on vacation that they were physically unable to walk by the end of the day, I would have to stand back and take a good hard look at why I felt the need to drive them that hard instead of letting them have a good time and set the pace.
When you write something like this - with all the exaggeration and the coded words and the hyperbole - are you trying to come across as really judgmental and witchy? Or is it accidental?

Here's the thing. A four year old doesn't have to be driven or run ragged or whipped or run or flogged to get tired by the end of the day at Disney World. Sometimes a four year old just gets sleepy, or wants a comfortable place to sit, or wants to feel a little safe and removed from the crowds or could walk but would just rather not.

All the rude posts in the world won't make your hypothesis (that only children who are "run" half to death and driven like cattle and aren't allowed to have fun want a stroller) true. It's truly bizarre how narrowly some people see things.
Love Tink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #38
ChitownFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorkovsky View Post
I know that's a individual decision, but from your experience....

My youngest will be almost 5 when we go (trip Sept, birthday Dec.). I doubt we will spend more than 5-6 hours at a time in a park, and her daddy will undoubtedly carry her on his shoulders from time to time. I have a great jogging stroller I'd rather take (rather than rent, I mean) if I'm going to need a stroller, and based on what a lot of you guys have said, I'm starting to think I'd be an idiot not to take it, but I originally thought we'd be fine without. We are flying, so I'm not lugging it unless you guys tell me I'm an idiot, lol!
I bet you spend more time in the park than you think we said we would leave if we needed to...and we never left. Yes bring a stroller, that way everyone can be comfortable & not sweaty/hot from carrying a child.

Cruise March 2013 (RCI-LIberty of the Seas)
11/28/12-12/8/12 art of animation (Nemo)
Spring 04- offsite, Universal/IOA, Discovery, DW
Christmas-New Years 02-offsite (Been there, Done that!)
ChitownFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #39
stephm0188
Mouseketeer

We took the stroller last year for our then four year old and I don't have any regrets.

He's five now, and we're taking it because it works for our family. Going back to the resort for a nap was disasterous for us. He didn't want to rest, and we all ended up snapping at one another out of frustration. He's up for being in the parks open to close, but sometimes he just needs a little break. He'll sit in the stroller, pull the shade down, and take a few minutes to just chill out. If we give him that time, he's happy as can be going forward.

We know our kid and what does and doesn't work for him. Plus, I kind of like the cupholders
stephm0188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #40
thr33boys
Mouseketeer

From my perspective, when you're trying to please a variety of age groups so that no one feels they are sacrificing valuable time, it doesn't make sense to me to have to leave the park or split the group up to take the tired ones back to the room when a stroller could solve the issue. My boys will be 9, newly 6 and a couple of months away from 5 when we go in December. I know my 4 year old will need one, so I'll probably get a double, since they're only a little more than a year apart in age. Otherwise, fighting over it will be a whole other issue. This will allow us to stay as late as we need to so that my 9 year old has a great time and the other 2 can doze off when they feel like it. My 2 youngest's are way beyond napping but a little bit of time off their feet will go a long way in keeping them happy and content and allowing us to do what we came for.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #41
mummabear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
Not another stroller thread. Do what's best for your family.
Wow how rude! Should we add not another..FP+ thread, GAC thread, Is photopass +worth it? thread, Should I do BBB or PL? Is xxx doable? etc etc etc. Everything is repeated.

OP-Personally I would probably use a stroller at that point but I understand it can be alot of hassle pushing it around and parking it etc if it's not being used all the time. Maybe take it with you and decide after day 1 if you will take it into the parks that way you have it if you need at for the rest of the trip...
mummabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #42
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

I'd say bring it, like others have said they are also great for holding stuff.

I am torn with this too, for my 8 yr old...yes judge all you want, but we are RD people, my daughter has never been one to nap, so I really want to bring the stroller for when she needs to take a break, but DH doesn't want it this year.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm Possible." ~ Audrey Hepburn

WeLoveLilo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #43
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

DS was 4 and a half when we took him to the World last October. We didn't take a stroller, didn't need one and were very glad we didn't lug one down on the plane with us. Here's why it worked for us:

-DS had not used a stroller at all for more than two years.
-DS is very independent and does not like to be confined. He also never asks to be carried.
-I've never met anyone with as much energy as DS has--child or adult.
-DS is extremely active.
-We don't find it necessary to bring a lot of stuff with us to the parks. We take one backpack with refillable water bottles and a few other things (ponchos, etc.). No need for a gigantic rolling luggage rack.
-We chose to go at his pace. To me it just makes sense to default to what the smallest member of your party can reasonably handle. So if DS got cranky, we'd stop for a rest and a snack. If he still felt tired, we'd head back to the cabin for a nap. (Some days we left and came back, other days we stayed all day.) Also, his "tired" wasn't necessarily just sore muscles and tired legs--things that a stroller might help--it was more like overstimulation. The only way to solve that is to go somewhere with less stimulation.

DH carried DS from the Epcot gate to the bus stop on our first night. He didn't ask for it; we just realized he was beyond exhausted because we had gotten up before sunrise to get to the airport that morning. It was no big deal though, and that was the only "issue" we had.

Last edited by GenevieveRaqs; 07-04-2013 at 08:52 AM.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #44
DISHoppy
DIS Veteran

I always cringe when I see this question posted. My take is that you know your kids the best, so you should know the answer to the question already (not being mean spirited). Our DDs walked the parks since they were three (two years apart), and I don't mean light walking either. Ample breaks for drinks and snacks help. However, they have cousins that wanted to ride in strollers until they were six when we walked the boardwalk on the NJ shore for a mile or so. And we aren't talking about frail little kids...a very good-sized boy and a his sister. Much of it depends on how they have been parented in the past. In this case, the cousins were a tad pampered, IMO. We're not gung ho by any stretch, but we do have our DDs involved with lots of physical activities.

-Kevin
May 1998 - WDW offsite
Oct 2007 - WDW offsite (DDs first visit)
Dec 2008 - WDW @ POR
Mar 2009 - WDW @ POP
Feb/Mar 2010 - WDW @ SSR (home)
Dec 2010 - WDW @ SSR
Dec 2011 - DCL Disney Dream
Dec 2011 - WDW @ SSR
Jun 2012 - DLR @ DLH
Nov 2013 DCL cruise Dream booked
Nov 2013 WDW @ SSR booked
DISHoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #45
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISHoppy View Post
Much of it depends on how they have been parented in the past. In this case, the cousins were a tad pampered, IMO. We're not gung ho by any stretch, but we do have our DDs involved with lots of physical activities.

-Kevin
I have to say this is pretty insulting. Not all kids are the same, and not all kids have the same level of stamina, in sports or not in sports. Saying kids are "pampered" and that is why they may need a stroller is ridiculous. I'm also not sure why there is always the implication that parents who have their kids walk are somehow superior parents. Whatever works for your family and your kids is what you should do.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 07-04-2013 at 10:40 AM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: