Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
tlovesdis
Disneyland Obsessed!!!
My room has a Mickey theme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyrabbit View Post
Enjoy a nice glass of wine on the patio by WCT in DCA. Also, take your time to notice and appreciate the little things that you might have overlooked on previous trips. How about taking your time to enjoy some relaxing shopping in the parks and in DtD?
I was going to say this exactly!!!

Disneyland - December 6-9, 2014 (Birthday trip)

WDW January 22-27, 2015
Kidani Village AKL
First trip to the WORLD!!!
tlovesdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
Eclectic Goddess
My Ears are a Pair of Devil Horns

One of our favorite things to do was to unwind at the end of the night with a cocktail. These days, we prefer the Carthay Circle Lounge. The Hearthstone Lounge in GC can be nice, too, depending on how busy it is.

We also really like being able to follow our own schedule. Get up early to open the park, take a break mid-day for a relaxing dip in the hot tub or a nap, then go back into the park for some evening fun. (Perhaps after another cocktail!)

Disneyland Trips
Fall 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 ~ Gay Days Anaheim
Winter 2013 ~ Off Season Magic
Fall 2014 ~ DF's Birthday Extravaganza!
*January 2015 ~ Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend*
*Spring 2015 ~ Star Wars Celebration*

Orlando Trips
Fall 2010 ~ Harry Potter Emersion Therapy / Visit to the ‘World
Spring 2012 ~ Taking the HLP on Holiday!
Spring 2014 ~ Princess Half Marathon Weekend / Wizarding World
Eclectic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
GenGen22
DIS Veteran

I would most definately go watch woc or fantasmic & enjoy that the kids aren't irritated that they have to wait for such a long time.

Summer Vacations:
DL offsite 1976 & 1979, DL Best Western Raffles 2004 & 2005, DL Radisson Suites Hotel Buena Park 2010 & 2014, DL Hampton Inn & Suites 2013
Christmas time Vacations:
DL Embassy Suites Anaheim South 2009, WDW POP Century 2011
GenGen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

I often go on an adults-only trip to DLR. It's my favorite way to unwind and...believe it or not...get away from the kids, LOL!! The thing is, I spend the vast majority of my time taking care of others. At DLR, I get to be the kid.

Anyway, some of my favorite things are:

Wine & cheese tasting at the wine bar in DCA. They used to have chocolate and port tasting but they stopped. Boo hoo!!! It was 3 types of port paired with Ghirardelli chocolates. Anyway, you sign up and pay a fee and you get these pairings and explanations about the chosen wines and cheeses. We got a lot of extra samplings, too! It's a lot of fun! Our sommelier (is that the right word? Wine expert?) was lots of fun and told us to be sure and ride Tower of Terror right afterward and he was right--it was a whole different experience

Napa Rose chef's counter. Amazing. We went fairly late, did the thing where they served wine with every course, and were the last ones out. We went and sat by the fire in the lobby and were joined by a very fun couple who were in their 70s. They'd been married forever and he was some famous person in the computer world. They bought a bottle of wine and we sat there having the best time, although we were kicked out at midnight because we were laughing too much so we went to the mirror image fireplace outside.

Do something fun and silly! Four of us (all women) bought tiaras and wore them our entire trip. It was great fun! We had booked the Fairytale Suite so we decided we were princesses and wanted to look the part.

Go have dessert at Napa Rose late at night. We sat by the fireplace and had so much fun--we each bought something different. Their desserts are amazing.

You could try the spa at GCH. I've never done it but I've wanted to have a facial. I plan to try it sometime.

Buy yourself something, like a personalized glass mug from the Crystal Shop, or have a silhouette or sketch of yourself done. Get that shirt or whatever that you really love but wouldn't buy with all the kids along.

There are tons of other things, but that's a start!

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #20
kangamama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMe View Post
I often go on an adults-only trip to DLR. It's my favorite way to unwind and...believe it or not...get away from the kids, LOL!! The thing is, I spend the vast majority of my time taking care of others. At DLR, I get to be the kid.

Wine & cheese tasting at the wine bar in DCA. They used to have chocolate and port tasting but they stopped. Boo hoo!!! It was 3 types of port paired with Ghirardelli chocolates. Anyway, you sign up and pay a fee and you get these pairings and explanations about the chosen wines and cheeses. We got a lot of extra samplings, too! It's a lot of fun! Our sommelier (is that the right word? Wine expert?) was lots of fun and told us to be sure and ride Tower of Terror right afterward and he was right--it was a whole different experience

Napa Rose chef's counter. Amazing. We went fairly late, did the thing where they served wine with every course, and were the last ones out. We went and sat by the fire in the lobby and were joined by a very fun couple who were in their 70s. They'd been married forever and he was some famous person in the computer world. They bought a bottle of wine and we sat there having the best time, although we were kicked out at midnight because we were laughing too much so we went to the mirror image fireplace outside.

Do something fun and silly! Four of us (all women) bought tiaras and wore them our entire trip. It was great fun! We had booked the Fairytale Suite so we decided we were princesses and wanted to look the part.

Go have dessert at Napa Rose late at night. We sat by the fireplace and had so much fun--we each bought something different. Their desserts are amazing.

You could try the spa at GCH. I've never done it but I've wanted to have a facial. I plan to try it sometime.

Buy yourself something, like a personalized glass mug from the Crystal Shop, or have a silhouette or sketch of yourself done. Get that shirt or whatever that you really love but wouldn't buy with all the kids along.

There are tons of other things, but that's a start!
Thanks for all the responses! Dizme, I really loved your post -- it got me dreamily thinking of all the fun my friend and I are going to have on this trip. Maybe Napa Rose can be our splurgy thing to do. I think there will be a dapper day event at Carthay circle lounge, so we would hit that, for sure. Can't wait for drinks at trader sams.
kangamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #21
kangamama
Mouseketeer

Double posting to ask should we make a ADR for dessert at Napa Rose? Would this be better than doing the fantasmic dessert seating!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #22
DizMe
Here we gooooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamama View Post
Double posting to ask should we make a ADR for dessert at Napa Rose? Would this be better than doing the fantasmic dessert seating!
Hey, disneyluvr2, tinkcollector and I will be there at the same time! We're going during the Sept. Dapper Day. We're going to dress up but we aren't part of any organized group. Last year we were there (that was our tiara trip!) and happened to be in Carthay where we saw many people dressed in cool retro clothes. We decided it looked like great fun so...this time we're joining in on the dressing up!

You won't need an ADR for dessert at Napa Rose, I don't think. We never have, anyway. I like to wing it on things like that because a lot of times we don't really know what direction we'll be going later on in the day. I've never done the fantasmic dessert seating and I wouldn't say the two are very comparable. I personally don't like waiting around for check-ins and shows etc plus the cost has held me back. A dessert at NR is about $15 (not counting coffee, which is a must for me) and F! is more like...I can't remember. $50 maybe? Many people find F! well worth it but I've never taken the time to see the whole show. What I did see looked pretty awesome.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #23
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Now that our boys are in college, DH and I just go by ourselves. We are leaving in a few days for a 6 day trip.

We like being able to have ice cream for lunch and call it a meal! We also pick a nice place to eat once a trip which is cheaper for just two.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #24
Eclectic Goddess
My Ears are a Pair of Devil Horns

Quote:

Oh, I like the idea of the wine and cheese tasting! Did you make a reservation for that, or just walk in? Do you remember how much it cost?

Disneyland Trips
Fall 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 ~ Gay Days Anaheim
Winter 2013 ~ Off Season Magic
Fall 2014 ~ DF's Birthday Extravaganza!
*January 2015 ~ Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend*
*Spring 2015 ~ Star Wars Celebration*

Orlando Trips
Fall 2010 ~ Harry Potter Emersion Therapy / Visit to the ‘World
Spring 2012 ~ Taking the HLP on Holiday!
Spring 2014 ~ Princess Half Marathon Weekend / Wizarding World
Eclectic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #25
kangamama
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Hey, disneyluvr2, tinkcollector and I will be there at the same time! We're going during the Sept. Dapper Day. We're going to dress up but we aren't part of any organized group. Last year we were there (that was our tiara trip!) and happened to be in Carthay where we saw many people dressed in cool retro clothes. We decided it looked like great fun so...this time we're joining in on the dressing up!
Yes -- I remember that from the dapper day thread. Keep an eye on the website -- a list of activities will be posted (you don't need to be part of anything organized in advance to participate -- in the past there's been a meet up at the King Arthur Carousel, a ride on the tall ship, a cocktail hour at CCL, stuff like that).

Good to know about the NR dessert. I'm not sure if my friend is into shows or not. We've got some plans to make! Lol
Old 07-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #26
DizMe
Here we gooooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclectic Goddess View Post
Oh, I like the idea of the wine and cheese tasting! Did you make a reservation for that, or just walk in? Do you remember how much it cost?
We walked up and made a reservation, but it wasn't very far in advance. We just weren't sure what the times were as it's not always offered.

Here is some information on it, but it is probably kind of dated. You might try and find out more current info as this still lists the port and chocolate, which was discontinued at least a year ago. They DID tell me that you can go over to Ghirardelli and bring your own chocolate, but that's hardly the same, is it??!! How odd that they discontinued it when Ghirardelli is now in the park.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/0...heese-tasting/

ETA: here is a more current listing of the prices http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/men_wt.htm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: