Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
DisneyRookie2007
DisDad Member #660

Party of 11 (4 families) - Help !!

I'm helping a co-worker plan her famiy vacation to WDW (1st visit) in 2014. They are 11 in their party (8 adults / 3 children)

Family 1: 2 adults - 1 child
Family 2: 2 adults - 2 children
Familty 3: 2 Parents
Family 4: 2 In-laws

I've never had to plan for such a large group and with 4 individual family groups.

Any recommendations on where to stay (onsite vs offsite) ?

Is onsite even an option given the size of their group - and be economical that is !
2010 (Jan): POR
2012 (Mar): POP
DisneyRookie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRookie2007 View Post
I'm helping a co-worker plan her famiy vacation to WDW (1st visit) in 2014. They are 11 in their party (8 adults / 3 children)

I've never had to plan for such a large group and with 4 individual family groups.

Is onsite even an option given the size of their group - and be economical that is !
It all would depend on their budget. I think onsite the only chance they'd have of staying together would be a 3 bedroom villa (and I don't know off the top of my head the max in those).

Aside from that they're looking at 3 - 4 rooms or 2 family suites (if parents/in laws want same or separate rooms). If you're doing multiple rooms it's just what budget fits. I'd personally only head offsite if they're wanting to stay together - it'd be more cost effective offsite. If they just want their own rooms I'd go onsite with that large of a group.

I'd just price out those options and see which ones they want to start with and then work on it from there - figure out the resort/room situation, start on tickets, work on dining...

ETA: SS 3 bedroom sleeps 12+
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

Quote:

Definitely I would recommend staying onsite. The cheapest way is with the Value Resorts. I like Pop Century a lot. You'll need 4 rooms and you can request (not guaranteed) to be near each other. Also since this is your first trip I would recommend booking a package that includes your tickets and dining plan. I think Disney has their packages set up really easy for first-timers. You can make payments along the way so you can pay for everything a little bit at a time. Since your trip isn't until next year that should allow everyone time to save up. Sounds like you guys are going to have a blast!!!!!!!!!
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Have a look at Port Orleans Resort
Minniesgal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Grand villas sleep 12 + 1 under age 3. They are unbelievably pricey though and may be difficult to get unless you are a DVC member. I've only stayed in them using my own DVC points. They are very nice but they will not provide each couple their own privacy. There will be a master suite with a king bed and then there will be 2 bedrooms with 2 beds in each plus there will be a sleeper sofa in the living area for 2 more.

I've done several large group vacations with my family. Honestly, I prefer separate rooms (have done it both ways). WDW is not a relaxing vacation and having the private space at night is not a bad thing. We've even done it where we were not all at the same resort and it wasn't awful either.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
Smile&Nod
Mouseketeer

Depending on budget and time of year I would consider the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness as well - they would need to but each has a bedroom with one double or queen bed and then a set of bunk beds (the families with kids) and then a murphy bed in the living room. You also have full kitchens to help save on money. The only down side is one bathroom per cabin....just another thought.
Smile&Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Separate room for each family and have it noted that they are traveling together on the reservations so they might get their rooms close to each other. A little space makes for better families sometimes.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
belle912
Mouseketeer

I would recommend seperate rooms at a value resort like the Pop Century. It is cost effective and everyone gets their private down time. We have taken many trips before with the entire extended family (11 - 15 of us) and found that this is the best way to feel more relaxed. No scheduling showers, etc... With a mini fridge in the rooms it is easy to cut back on food costs - if that is an issue for them. We find it so much fun to tour/eat together and then break up at some point with some of us going back early to the room and some staying late or taking a break in the afternoon and relaxing in the pool or taking a nap. With the individual space it is better than having to tiptoe around tired/grumpy kids and adults all in the same house.

We also only make reservations for dinner together - this way we share a meal everyday but it leaves time for people to break off and do their own things (tours or adult time) and still have a plan to meet back up once a day.
belle912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle912 View Post
I would recommend seperate rooms at a value resort like the Pop Century. It is cost effective and everyone gets their private down time. We have taken many trips before with the entire extended family (11 - 15 of us) and found that this is the best way to feel more relaxed. No scheduling showers, etc... With a mini fridge in the rooms it is easy to cut back on food costs - if that is an issue for them. We find it so much fun to tour/eat together and then break up at some point with some of us going back early to the room and some staying late or taking a break in the afternoon and relaxing in the pool or taking a nap. With the individual space it is better than having to tiptoe around tired/grumpy kids and adults all in the same house.

We also only make reservations for dinner together - this way we share a meal everyday but it leaves time for people to break off and do their own things (tours or adult time) and still have a plan to meet back up once a day.
Oh, I so totally agree with this.

10 people, four different "families" (although we are all related in some way). Each "family" had their own room at Pop Century. It was absolutely lovely. We could close doors when we needed, kids could bathe when they wanted, parents could shower when they wanted, TVs were at the volume each "family" needed (trust me, with older people, that's essential with ear splitting volumes at times), alarms were set or not set, things were picked up or not picked up, etc.

All we did was discuss either the night before or that morning of what park we would go to and then whoever was ready headed out and if needed, we met up. Then we'd regroup at night. We have one pizza night with all of us and that was it.

Best.trip.ever.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Mom2Luci
Mouseketeer

We are going with a group of 13 in August. We went with 4 rooms at POP so everyone has their own space at the end of the day.
Mom2Luci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Coronado Springs with similar family make up and got 4 rooms. It worked out great. But, if money is no object, may I suggest a deluxe resort on the monorail, or YC, BC, BW, or swan/dolphin. I recommend one of these for large groups because of easier/quicker access to surrounding parks. It will make up for lost time of waiting around for the slowest group (in the morning, after mid-day break at the resort, and such).
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
DisneyRookie2007
DisDad Member #660

Thanks for the replies to date.

Well I don't believe they want to spend alot for accomodations as it's their 1st visit and will likely be spending most of their days in the parks. I'm trying to sway them towards staying on-site, but I think once they see the cost vs renting a house, they'll decide it's not worth the extra $$.
2010 (Jan): POR
2012 (Mar): POP
DisneyRookie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the replies to date.

Well I don't believe they want to spend alot for accomodations as it's their 1st visit and will likely be spending most of their days in the parks. I'm trying to sway them towards staying on-site, but I think once they see the cost vs renting a house, they'll decide it's not worth the extra $$.

A few things about renting from offsite to consider. You will have to have your own transportation to the parks. I would highly recommend each family have their own vehicle (don't know if you are driving which would be ideal but if not, that's a rental cost). And then you will have to pay $15/day to park. So add all that into the cost.

We rented offsite once and had just two vehicles, one of which was a megavan (we drove). My father-in-law insisted on all of us driving to the parks together. Ever try and coordinate seven people getting all ready in the morning and then when they wanted to leave in the evening? Not a pretty sight. That plan lasted one day and then it was separate cars. There is no way for four families to agree on everything so make sure you have the transportation issues talked about before you even book your accommodations. Trust me, that's crucial.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: