Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #31
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

As you can see from the variety of opinions expressed, it really depends upon the person. As for me, I will never, repeat never, take a trip to WDW again between the end of May and the middle of October.

The heat is just unbearable to me and as much as I love WDW, it pretty much ruins my trip. I mean, the heat and humidity are just unbelievable! It's hard to describe really, but here's a few hints based on my personal experience...

You start sweating immediately after walking outside and your clothes are soaked through shortly thereafter. You reach for your bottle of water, and it's no longer cold, in fact it's almost boiling hot, but you chug it down anyway because you are in survival mode and must have liquid of some sort.

You spray yourself with your water-spray fan-thing, but again, you've just squirted hot water all over your face. All around you, kids are crying and miserable, little babies are rolling around in their strollers with sunburnt faces, and moms and dads are at each other's throats and screaming at the poor little kids that just want to go to the pool.

People are dragging around, soaked in sweat, reminiscent of the Bataan death march. Or maybe "Bridge on the River Kwai" when the soldiers had to stand at attention in the hot, blistering sun until they fainted.

You want to get a lemonade, an ice cream, anything cold - but everyone else wants the same thing, and you have to wait for an eternity in the sun, flirting with sunstroke, sipping your boiling hot water, while you wait your turn for the life-sustaining cold substance. You don't care anymore what you see or do, as long as you are in the air conditioning. You wonder if you can just hide in the big ride vehicle at Ellen's Universe of Energy for the rest of the day because it's so deliciously dark and cool in there.

Finally, you give up and go back to the hotel, but the pool is also boiling hot, so you take a shower and a nap, and go back out to the park that night, thinking that it will be much better and you'll get to do more. But alas, humid is the night and sweaty/sticky is again the result. So you take another shower when you get back to the hotel and fall exhausted into your bed, thanking the higher power of your choice for the wonderful person that invented air conditioning.

Anyway, that's my summer-at-WDW experience. The word "hot" just doesn't do it justice. It's Dante's fifth circle down there in the summer.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Me DH DD:
dizcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #32
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKFan-PR View Post
July-August the sun is set to 'Broil' in Florida. Add the crowds to that and you could have a miserable time if you're not ready / can't handle it. Mid-to-late September is better, and less crowded. If you can push it to October, it'll be even nicer.
Agree 100%, except that July & August weather is MISERABLE.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #33
cantslowdownptwn
Disney Villan Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcrazee View Post
As you can see from the variety of opinions expressed, it really depends upon the person. As for me, I will never, repeat never, take a trip to WDW again between the end of May and the middle of October.

The heat is just unbearable to me and as much as I love WDW, it pretty much ruins my trip. I mean, the heat and humidity are just unbelievable! It's hard to describe really, but here's a few hints based on my personal experience...

You start sweating immediately after walking outside and your clothes are soaked through shortly thereafter. You reach for your bottle of water, and it's no longer cold, in fact it's almost boiling hot, but you chug it down anyway because you are in survival mode and must have liquid of some sort.

You spray yourself with your water-spray fan-thing, but again, you've just squirted hot water all over your face. All around you, kids are crying and miserable, little babies are rolling around in their strollers with sunburnt faces, and moms and dads are at each other's throats and screaming at the poor little kids that just want to go to the pool.

People are dragging around, soaked in sweat, reminiscent of the Bataan death march. Or maybe "Bridge on the River Kwai" when the soldiers had to stand at attention in the hot, blistering sun until they fainted.

You want to get a lemonade, an ice cream, anything cold - but everyone else wants the same thing, and you have to wait for an eternity in the sun, flirting with sunstroke, sipping your boiling hot water, while you wait your turn for the life-sustaining cold substance. You don't care anymore what you see or do, as long as you are in the air conditioning. You wonder if you can just hide in the big ride vehicle at Ellen's Universe of Energy for the rest of the day because it's so deliciously dark and cool in there.

Finally, you give up and go back to the hotel, but the pool is also boiling hot, so you take a shower and a nap, and go back out to the park that night, thinking that it will be much better and you'll get to do more. But alas, humid is the night and sweaty/sticky is again the result. So you take another shower when you get back to the hotel and fall exhausted into your bed, thanking the higher power of your choice for the wonderful person that invented air conditioning.

Anyway, that's my summer-at-WDW experience. The word "hot" just doesn't do it justice. It's Dante's fifth circle down there in the summer.

this really craacked me up!

1983- poly 4yrs
1985- poly 6yrs
1991- cbr 12yrs
1992- cbr 13yrs
2007- por (hunnymoon) 28yrs
2008- por (anniversary) 29 yrs
2010-Boardwalk Villas (son's 1st b-day) 31 yrs
2012- Art of Animation (son's 3rd b-day) 33 yrs
2014- POP or CSR can't decide!!!
cantslowdownptwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #34
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbowtie View Post
we went once in July 4 yrs ago. never again. over 100 every day with very high humidity. I would definitely wait til Oct.
Which is strange, seeing as the record temp in the area is 102°. Ever. All time. And that was in the month of September! Jury's record is 100°...from 1998. So you must have been there when they had their record temperatures!

Actually, the average high in Orlando is 90-92° in the summer. It doesn't usually get past 96°.

Now heat index is an entirely different story.

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #35
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcrazee View Post

LOL!!!!!! This was the best review I have ever read!!! You actually helped to make up my mind to go in mid October!! LOL!!!

ME DH DS
Disneyland- hundreds of times
Disneyland Hotel 6/05,12/05
Disney Fairytale Wedding@Disneyland 6/05
WDW 2/04, 6/05, 5/12, 10/14, 10/15
Port Orleans Riverside 2/04 & 6/05
All Star Movies Resort 5/12
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Port Orleans French Quarter 9/30/15
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Disney Fantasy 10/18/14 & 10/10/15
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #36
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I would actually go even further and say I think it is too hot from April to September. I went April 2012 and had great weather but went April 2013 and we had 90 degree days. So I am ruling out going any time between April and September.

I have been twice in October and the crowds and weather are great in October. And it is still warm enough for pools and water parks.

I love Disney but when I am miserable and sweating I do not like being there at all.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #37
kristinesgeorge
Earning My Ears

We went on our first trip last August and it was pretty hot! I think the heat wasn't as overwhelming for us as the crowds - by noon it was wall to wall sweaty people and strollers. We STILL had a great time but we definitely had to plan to start early, nap during the height of the sun/heat and then come back for the evening. It rained a lot too - but again, a rainy day at Disney is still a day at Disney! We won't be going back in the summer months anytime soon - I have just heard how lovely it can be in the later months. Good luck and have fun!
kristinesgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #38
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
LOL!!!!!! This was the best review I have ever read!!! You actually helped to make up my mind to go in mid October!! LOL!!!
Glad to have been of service. I've been in mid-October and it's a much nicer experience. While it's still warm, the humidity isn't nearly as bad and the crowds are much more manageable. I hope you have a great trip, and give my regards to Ellen if you ride the Universe of Energy. She saved my life that summer.

Me DH DD:
dizcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #39
daneenm
Just call me Pollyanna ...everyone else does!
this is the first time we had tried it
The kitchen is not typically a likely option

We visited last time in late July/early August and will be there at that time again this year. School and summer swim team dictate for us. We were up early, at rope drop, back to the hotel for a swim after lunch and then back out again for dinner. One day out of 11, we would say the heat was oppressive, the rest was very manageable.

FWIW, we are from CA and are not used to the humidity at all.
- DLH: 1999, 2008 (Concierge)
- GCH: 2004, 2006 (Concierge), 2009, 2011, 2012

WDW:
- YC Concierge: 2007, 2013, planned 7/2015

DCL:
- Fantasy, Eastern Carribean planned 8/2015

Wish I could visit more....
daneenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #40
pigletto
DIS Veteran

It's hot but we're headed back for our 5th late August trip so we find it doable. More than doable.. enjoyable. However if it was my one trip for the year and had another cooler week I could go, I would pick that week.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #41
cart-mom
Busy Scout Mom

Yes, like everyone has said, it is going to be hot and humid. We go every year at the end of August. That first step outside is the absolute worst. We manage and my family doesn't usually do well in extreme heat. One thing that nobody has talked about is hurricane season. June to November. Historically the busiest time is late August thru October. That being said, yes, I have been in wdw when a hurricane hot FL. Several times. Does it stop me? Nope. But I am prepared for it better now than ever.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #42
Haygar2
Mouseketeer

We went in September last year. I am not going to lie. It was hot. And really humid. We bought one of the fan/water bottles and neither one of my children (13 & 9) complained about carrying it. We all took turns and it worked out great. There are plenty of things to do to get out of the heat and humidity. As long as you can stand some of it, you should be fine. If you can wait...and you want to wait...go in October. We are getting ready to book our September 2014 trip.
Haygar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #43
3DisneyBuggs
The only way I would fly is if John Travolta is the pilot!
Maroon is my color, like the pom poms!
Now I owe tag tax

We did August 3 years ago for a baseball tournament. It was HOT!! I did survive but walking out of AK with a warm mister fan and all the frozen water gone felt like being stranded in the Sahara desert- not that Ive ever been there!

Last year we went the end of June and the heat was not bad at all. This year we are going in August due to school schedules. I know it will be HOT but we will have fun and survive it!
PS My favorite time to go is the end of October but due to school, not possible.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #44
Linda T.
DIS Veteran

We usually go in July because of everyone's schedules. Yes, it is really hot and humid. But we go to the park by rope drop and then during the early afternoon go back to the resort to swim, relax, and nap. Then when evening comes we head back to the parks for supper, rides, and fireworks/parades.
May, 1979 - Offsite; June, 1995 - CBR; June, 1997 - CBR; June, 1999 - POR; July, 2001 - CBR; April, 2005 - Disneyland; July, 2005 - CBR; July, 2007 - CBR; July, 2010 - CBR; July 2011 - CBR; July, 2013 - CBR; Next Trip - Christmas, 2014 - BCV

Linda T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #45
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda T. View Post
We usually go in July because of everyone's schedules. Yes, it is really hot and humid. But we go to the park by rope drop and then during the early afternoon go back to the resort to swim, relax, and nap. Then when evening comes we head back to the parks for supper, rides, and fireworks/parades.
We went in mid June...same exact pattern as this poster...five rope drops in a row, three of which were EMH.

I am used to heat.outlive in NC and spend time playing golf and at beach...But the sun felt very, very hot at Disney!! If your body does not do well with heat, do not go during these months.

We would do it again, yes! Had a blast but you must get an early start and have a good touring plan that does NOT involve alot of walking back and forth around the parks. Do attractions close to each other!

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect
March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!
October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!
June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip..fantastic!
March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
January, 2015, Art of Animation
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: