Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #31
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyenerd View Post
I guess i am still in sticker shock, because that seems like an awful lot of money to me for one experience. I am all for the BBB, etc. and have been known to splurge, but i don't think i could justify this (for doll and some charms at a tea party?). That is like a weeks park pass for the kids at WDW. I agree that memories are precious but i can think of a lot of other memories i can make for that type of price. Yikes!

You are definitely lucky to have experienced this for free!
I dunno. A single day child's Disneyland park hopper ticket is over $130. I don't pretend to understand how other people decide if something is worth it to them.
I'd totally do this as a one time thing.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #32
s3rndpt
Mouseketeer

If we weren't already doing the Royal Sea Package x 2 for my girls, this might be an option. But the price does seem a bit steep for what you get, imo.
s3rndpt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #33
eyenerd
Mouseketeer

Well, i can get a 5 day pass to WDW from undercover tourist for $272 and I just know that with my own kids they would get a lot more out of that as a point of reference :::not saying everyone would, I am sure some would prefer 2 hours with a doll and tea::: I try to make smart decisions with the money we have and for us it would not be smart or worth it looking at the big picture. I don't pretend to understand how other people spend their money because i really don't care and i am not even sure if i know what that exactly means?

However, something rubs me the wrong way about this price and I was voicing my opinion. I feel like it adds more pressure to those cruising with a few girls. I realistically don't feel like this is something that the average family can afford without blinking an eye (or clutching their chest if say they have 3 little darlings and an afternoon of tea is going to cost over $500). I realize we are always going to live in a world of haves and have nots. I just feel like this takes it to yet another level on the disney cruise. I feel like Disney is preying on its consumers so they feel like they created (or more aptly bought) these wonderful memories for their children. Or for people who don't put a price on Disney. They know they will pay for it...because it is disney (Heck, i am even guilty of this at times).

Maybe i will see some spectacular picture or reviews that will someday make me think otherwise (i did with BBB, but this tea kind of makes that look like a bargain now). I am totally not trying to debate it with those who do, because if it was worth it for you, than that is all that matters). And kudos to Disney's marketing people if they pull this off, because I assume it would be very profitable for them.

And i am a little jealous of this poster for totally scoring this for free! Now that is a priceless memory in my book! haha....get it? priceless
eyenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #34
Aura of Foreboding
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyenerd View Post
I realistically don't feel like this is something that the average family can afford without blinking an eye (or clutching their chest if say they have 3 little darlings and an afternoon of tea is going to cost over $500).
Realistically, a Disney Cruise is something that many families can't afford - it is a luxury.

I think that the Tea is a neat idea, and for those who are into dolls, or having a special occasion, it might be awesome. We probably won't do it, but that doesn't mean that it is a bad thing - just something we won't do.
DCL - 2012 (4-night Bahamian on the Dream)

In the works:
August 12-15th - WDW *~* August 16th, 2014 - Disney Fantasy *~* July 2015 - DL

Last edited by Aura of Foreboding; 07-04-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Aura of Foreboding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #35
swimfly
Mouseketeer

I so hope this continues through to our Feb 2014 Fantasy cruise. I'd love to take DD and mom. We'll catch up with DH and my dad later. I personally love the choices and add-ons Disney provides. If I'm going to splurge on spa treatments and special dinners for DH & I and hopefully a cabana at CC, my DD is going to have a special treat as well. I can vividly remember my first high tea with my grandma.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #36
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=PrincessShmoo;48823467 They used to have high tea at Palo. But it was never booked enough. They eliminated the tea so they could expand the brunch hours, which always had a waiting list.[/QUOTE]

I know. That's what they say, but I think it was more of a problem with the time the event was held. It was too close to Palo's dinner hour. They are able to run more people through Palo at brunch with the times it is scheduled. It was always booked so I don't think that is the real reason for the change and eliminating it. Too bad...it was a really nice tea and they don't have nearly enough of that kind of thing on the ship for adults.

Last edited by EeyoreIsMyName; 07-09-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: correction
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #37
pudinhd
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=EeyoreIsMyName;48845928]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

I know. That's what they say, but I think it was more of a problem with the time the event was held. It was too close to Palo's dinner hour. They are able to run more people through Palo at brunch with the times it is scheduled. It was always booked so I don't think that is the real reason for the change and eliminating it. Too bad...it was a really nice tea and they don't have nearly enough of that kind of thing on the ship for adults.
I might be in the minority, but I would love a princess tea thing for adults. We don't have kids and have cruised on DCL 6 times with more cruises booked. I have never inquired about the Tea with (??) because I know seats are limited and didn't want to take a spot from someone with a child. But, it's something I would love to do.
Too Many Trips to Disneyland to Count, 1999 WDW Honeymoon, 2005 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 WDW Vacation, 2009 Backstage Magic ABD, 2011 Disney Cruise to Neverland, 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2012 Alaskan Disney Cruise, 2013 Repo LA to Vancouver Disney Cruise, 2014 Western Caribbean Disney Cruise, 2014 Backstage Magic ABD
pudinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #38
swimfly
Mouseketeer

So take YOUR spot. Character dining isn't reserved solely for children. I dont know the specifics of the "tea" yet but I doubt adults are turned away. We went through 2 years of fertility treatments and darn if I didn't take advantage of character activities. If you feel comfortable, go for it!

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #39
MomoMama
Mouseketeer

I would love to know more about this! I actually am more interested in this than BBB, I like dressing up my DD in princess dresses, but I am not really into putting makeup on her.
Sure, it is not cheap...but as long as there are people willing to pay, that is the price Disney would charge. I am one who is willing to pay...as long as I know my DD will fully enjoy it. DD (3) can be shy sometimes, and may not interact with the princesses or other kids well right now. I would take her when she is a bit older and if she really wants it...I need to make sure I get my $ worth

For $270, I hope this lasts longer than Tea with Alice, and they serve allergy-friendly treats
MomoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #40
tessa67
Mouseketeer

From what I understand the tea is actually going to include BBB, picking out a costume, etc.
tessa67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #41
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

OP, pics please?
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #42
socababy
DIS Veteran

Sorry everyone, I have been laid up on the couch since yesterday. I think I brought the flu home with me. I feel like I have been hit by a truck but no fever. Weird. I have uploaded the pics to photobucket and I plan on uploading them on here either tonight or tomorrow.

In regards to what a pp posted, our tea did not include picking out a dress, etc. Nor was there any mention of doing it in the future.
MAGIC July 2014 Med, Aug 2015 Dover to Barcelona, Aug 2015 Med
socababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #43
tessa67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by socababy View Post
Sorry everyone, I have been laid up on the couch since yesterday. I think I brought the flu home with me. I feel like I have been hit by a truck but no fever. Weird. I have uploaded the pics to photobucket and I plan on uploading them on here either tonight or tomorrow.

In regards to what a pp posted, our tea did not include picking out a dress, etc. Nor was there any mention of doing it in the future.
Well, like you mentioned, they were doing a practice run of the actual tea party portion. I think they have the BBB routine down pat, lol, so they wouldn't need to practice that (or be willing to give away free dresses!) I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Glad you all got to be part of this!
tessa67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #44
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

This is something I would consider for my nieces. They will be 6 and 12 when we go. Might be a stretch for the 12 year old but I think she would enjoy the experience. I guess we'll just have to see whether this comes to fruition and the details of it.
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Castillo Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #45
tinyteen19401
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa67 View Post

Well, like you mentioned, they were doing a practice run of the actual tea party portion. I think they have the BBB routine down pat, lol, so they wouldn't need to practice that (or be willing to give away free dresses!) I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Glad you all got to be part of this!
My 5 year old will loves this.
tinyteen19401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: