Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #901
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran
 
WDW Princess 71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,834

Your report is amazing and so helpful for us going on the next Greece cruise in 2 weeks! I've only read some of your report so far but it has so many details of things I'd have been curious about!

Couple questions- you mentioned your magnets curling and not sticking on the doors after a few days. This has never happened to me before on any of my cruises on any of the ships, but I'd be so upset if it did. I use the Staples magnet paper and print directly on them. I know some have had trouble just putting little magnetic pieces behind regular paper and those not sticking as well. Which type did you use?

Were there port-specific pins for sale in the stores or available for order? On the Panama cruise I did in 2011, there was a limited edition pin for each port that came out on that day. It was a nightmare. People would camp for hours outside the stores waiting to get them and many times still get there and they'd run out. In the end we managed to get them all but it was so stressful and so much wasted time. Was it like this on this cruise, or did they not have these coveted pins or similar gifts, or if they did was it handled better (like via a room order form?)
__________________
Nicole


September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #902
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
MinnieDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
Your report is amazing and so helpful for us going on the next Greece cruise in 2 weeks! I've only read some of your report so far but it has so many details of things I'd have been curious about!

Couple questions- you mentioned your magnets curling and not sticking on the doors after a few days. This has never happened to me before on any of my cruises on any of the ships, but I'd be so upset if it did. I use the Staples magnet paper and print directly on them. I know some have had trouble just putting little magnetic pieces behind regular paper and those not sticking as well. Which type did you use?

Were there port-specific pins for sale in the stores or available for order? On the Panama cruise I did in 2011, there was a limited edition pin for each port that came out on that day. It was a nightmare. People would camp for hours outside the stores waiting to get them and many times still get there and they'd run out. In the end we managed to get them all but it was so stressful and so much wasted time. Was it like this on this cruise, or did they not have these coveted pins or similar gifts, or if they did was it handled better (like via a room order form?)
I used the Avery brand paper that I got at Office Max. Mindy bought her paper at Staples as well, I believe, and also used additional adhesive magnets on the back that didn't work. If anyone didn't have issues....sound off and tell us where you were located and how you printed your magnets!

There were no port-specific pins . They did them in 2007 and 2011, but skipped 2010 and apparently this year as well, save the Greece one. I was hoping to add to my collection....
__________________



Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #903
cforsythe
Mouseketeer
 
cforsythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 209

GREAT start. I can't wait to hear about the rest of your wonderful vacation!!
__________________
SSR Grand Villa 12/19-12/24/07
PC 08/28-09/02/06,POR 06/02/06-06/10/06
Offsite April 2005
Cruising Western 08/28/04-09/04/04
cforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #904
Stimpy
Is a WONDERFUL Mommy! The TF says so, so it must be true!
 
Stimpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,783

Love it so far! Sounds like you had a great time. You have a lovely looking family.

Hope you can scan the Navigators
__________________
DVC-BCV members
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane!"








Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #905
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?
 
MrsG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Malverne, NY
Posts: 3,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
Love it so far! Sounds like you had a great time. You have a lovely looking family.

Hope you can scan the Navigators
We are a pesty bunch aren't we???? Yes, I am anxiously awaiting your navigators as well.

You mentioned it was cold on the crossing back to Barcelona. I wasn't bringing any warmer clothing (maybe a DCL packable windbreaker at most - or a sweater for the theatre where it tends to be cool) but no long pants. Think it will be warmer in 2 weeks???

Thanks so much!
__________________
MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #906
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,435

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
Just a note about the last sea day when the seas were rocky and it was very cold and windy out on deck. I am not somebody who is prone to motion sickness unless I'm playing a 3D computer game from days of long ago. On the last sea day, the ship was rocking pretty good. I was out on deck during some part of the afternoon (in my fleece hoodie) watching the Funnelvision movie. I actually fell asleep out there. Fine as can be ... no issues.

BUT THEN ... I went on the Art of the Theme tour and then went to our stateroom (big Navigator's window) and started the process of packing. Big mistake. As soon as I went inside and spent about an hour inside, I started getting that clammy, cold, sweaty feeling ... the signs of impending DOOM. What we should have done was gone up on deck as soon as we felt this way ... but we kept on packing instead. Ugh... We wanted to see Dreams that evening (6:30 pm showing) so we thought we'd duck up on deck just before the show. But it was 6:15 when we headed to the show so we thought, let's just get a breath of fresh air outside on Deck 4 first. BIG mistake. There was some foul odour on Deck 4 ... very fishy, gross smell. It make me feel worse. So we gave up and just went to the Walt Disney Theatre. THANK Goodness for the excessive air conditioning in that theatre. As I sat in there, and fell asleep at one point (just for a few minutes), the air conditioning helped me immensely. By the the end of the show, I was feeling much better and revived.

When we headed to dinner, our head server asked us if we were ok (we were by then). Apparently many were not ok. Our assistant server suggested we have ginger ale. I think much ginger ale was served that night. The seas calmed down later that evening.
Hi, pxlbarrel!

We had the same experience. The last day at sea, before arrival at Barcelona was pretty bad.

Our DD gets very sea sick. This day, and the day before we arrived at Athens got to her bad.

I usuallly don't have any problems, but I had the same problem with the packing. I think it was trying to focus on something (folding clothes) while the ship was lurching and rolling so much that really made me woozy. I had to stop and step out onto the verandah periodically to settle down.
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #907
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
MinnieDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG View Post

We are a pesty bunch aren't we???? Yes, I am anxiously awaiting your navigators as well.

You mentioned it was cold on the crossing back to Barcelona. I wasn't bringing any warmer clothing (maybe a DCL packable windbreaker at most - or a sweater for the theatre where it tends to be cool) but no long pants. Think it will be warmer in 2 weeks???

Thanks so much!
I didn't really need warmer clothing...I just stayed indoors that day! The rest of the days were lovely!!
__________________



Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #908
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
MinnieDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,667

More added to Villefranche and started on La Spezia. Pics will have to be added later...
__________________



Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #909
Tired mom of 3 boys
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Leonardtown, MD
Posts: 66

Hi Kim! (and Mindy and Christine and Lisa and....) - what a wonderful two weeks we had. I've enjoyed reading your reports so far! Hope that all of you are doing well! How is Hayley's finger?
Tired mom of 3 boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #910
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
MinnieDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired mom of 3 boys View Post
Hi Kim! (and Mindy and Christine and Lisa and....) - what a wonderful two weeks we had. I've enjoyed reading your reports so far! Hope that all of you are doing well! How is Hayley's finger?
Hi Karen!!!

Mindy updated Haylee's condition on FB. I'll let her comment here on what is happening.....

Did you and Mike ever pursue the room issue??
__________________



Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #911
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
MinnieDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,667

Most of Rome up, as well as La Spezia pretty well done (no pics yet tho)...
__________________



Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #912
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse
 
mindelmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hillsborough NJ
Posts: 2,137

Sorry have been a little behind on dis. Will scan schedule page of navigators and comment I. Next few days. Kim. How should I do that All your posts are at the beginning. Mine will be at end may not mesh. Any ideas?
__________________
Me DH DD DS

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #913
Scraptographer
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 151

Wow, you guys have finally done it, you have dragged me out of lurkdom! Seriously. I have followed your thread since almost the beginning. I truly enjoyed the John Hale course on Greece and Turkey from the Great Courses as recommended by Kim way back when. And finally, when you actually went on the cruise and weren't posting I went into withdrawal and started posting myself!

All that to say thank you for this thread and your report. We are heading off on the next Med cruise with Greece next week, and I am anxiously and happily reading your report.

Two questions based on a couple of comments you made today:

Where did you eat in the Piazza Navona area - we are doing jumping back into eternal Rome and I believe our lunch break is in that area, and

How did Jim's Fitbit work out for the trip? Or more specifically how did he upload the info each day? During our Spring break cruise I simply waited until we got back, but that was only about 9 days, whereas this trip will be closer to two weeks.

Sorry to be so wordy, but again, many thanks for your thread.


Yvonne

DH DW (me). DD (16). DS (14)
Scraptographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #914
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse
 
mindelmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hillsborough NJ
Posts: 2,137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraptographer View Post
Wow, you guys have finally done it, you have dragged me out of lurkdom! Seriously. I have followed your thread since almost the beginning. I truly enjoyed the John Hale course on Greece and Turkey from the Great Courses as recommended by Kim way back when. And finally, when you actually went on the cruise and weren't posting I went into withdrawal and started posting myself!

All that to say thank you for this thread and your report. We are heading off on the next Med cruise with Greece next week, and I am anxiously and happily reading your report.

Two questions based on a couple of comments you made today:

Where did you eat in the Piazza Navona area - we are doing jumping back into eternal Rome and I believe our lunch break is in that area, and

How did Jim's Fitbit work out for the trip? Or more specifically how did he upload the info each day? During our Spring break cruise I simply waited until we got back, but that was only about 9 days, whereas this trip will be closer to two weeks.

Sorry to be so wordy, but again, many thanks for your thread.

Yvonne

DH DW (me). DD (16). DS (14)
As for the fitbit. Jim has one of the newer fitbits and whenever we had wifi he uploaded thru the Bluetooth on the iPhone 5 It sinks automatically with the iPhone app.

The name of the restaurant was ristorante il botteghino.
__________________
Me DH DD DS

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #915
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse
 
mindelmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hillsborough NJ
Posts: 2,137

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post

As for the fitbit. Jim has one of the newer fitbits and whenever we had wifi he uploaded thru the Bluetooth on the iPhone 5 It sinks automatically with the iPhone app.

The name of the restaurant was ristorante il botteghino.
Sorry that was the restaurant in Lucca. I need to look up the name on my cc. Will post later
__________________
Me DH DD DS

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: