Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #1036
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.
 
lmhall2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Space town, AL
Posts: 5,538

Uber planner, will be there in 68 days!! First time for POR..I know I am not alone, scouring all the pictures I can find of the buildings and imagining our family walking up and taking in all the sites and sounds...but it's very hard to find resort specific pictures...I'm trying to figure out if I make a request which building? So for you multi visit families...any suggestions?

Top on the list...landscaping! I know as silly as that sounds, I LOVE a lush landscape around our room, it just smells amazing to have all those growing things around us!

I would prefer a corner room only because I am a tad bit claustrophobic, okay I'm seriously claustrophobic, I can handle elevators if I do mind games and think of something or talk to people next to me but in a hotel room I either need sliding glass doors or more windows..., once I'm asleep I'm fine, but knowing there are more 'exits' (I'm sure the windows would not be a good exit, it's all mental, makes me rest better.

I do love the look of the AB (we have five) buildings without the brick...and I could be as far from anything, I love to walk! Anyone know a great building that would be lush? And then I read a report today that there are some buildings that have traffic noise from a major street? Can you really hear traffic with all those trees?
Thanks for indulging my planning neuroses!
__________________

lmhall2000 is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #1037
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer
 
Indy Denise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: AndrewLuckland
Posts: 297

Well it's been a long 8 months planning but my trip is almost here. I start my drive from Indiana to Orlando Friday and then hit the Darkside. After that. I will be checking in Wednesday the 10th to POR. WHOOOOOOHOOOO

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to Andre and Venom. Your helpfulness here on this thread was invaluable. Andre, your website rocks and I hope your upcoming trip is pixie dust filled and full of Disney magic. You are so very kind and caring as well as patient with all of us too!!! Happy travels with your journey from across the pond.

I never posted much but I did read here everyday. The information here is wonderful . Thanks again!!!



Denise
__________________
Indy Denise is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #1038
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict
 
andrewilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 5,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
Uber planner, will be there in 68 days!! First time for POR..I know I am not alone, scouring all the pictures I can find of the buildings and imagining our family walking up and taking in all the sites and sounds...but it's very hard to find resort specific pictures...I'm trying to figure out if I make a request which building? So for you multi visit families...any suggestions?
I'm sorry I only have about 2,500 photos of Port Orleans on my website, but if you need more, I guess I'll have to hunt for some... Just Google "Port Orleans" and my site is usually the first one returned after the sponsored links.

There is really no road noise within Port Orleans, the closest I can think of would be where Vista Road skirts along the very northern edge of property, but I've never noticed any noise from there even when standing outside.

What sort of room have you booked? I'd suggest Garden View from your comments, and really just about any of the garden view rooms in Alligator Bayou will be perfect for what you describe, with 26, 28 and 39 being the most enclosed (and probably least requested) buildings. The brick pillars are in the thirties areas (34-39). There are no elevators in the AB buildings, so no worries there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Denise View Post
I just wanted to say THANK YOU to Andre and Venom. Your helpfulness here on this thread was invaluable. Andre, your website rocks and I hope your upcoming trip is pixie dust filled and full of Disney magic. You are so very kind and caring as well as patient with all of us too!!! Happy travels with your journey from across the pond.
Thanks for the kind comments, I'm glad you found my site and information helpful. I hope you have a lovely trip too.

Andre
__________________
Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!


For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #1039
sciteacher77
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamcole View Post
We just returned from an 8 night stay at POR in a Royal garden view. We absolutely loved the resort to the point I'm seriously conflicted about our next trip (considering a family suite at AoA - since there might be 5 or 6 of us).

I thought I'd provide a review with some ideas for anyone traveling with knee issues or little kids. I dislocated my knee a few months before our trip

We stayed for 8 nights (6/20-6/28) - my mom, my daughter (age 4), my son (age 2) and me. We had 6 park days (but returned mid-day almost everyday for some pool time) and 3 days that were primarily resort days (while I was at a conference). The resort had a great balance of disney theming and less stimulation. The kids really benefited from early park days with a mid-day break (even though my son napped in his stroller most days) - it was nice to go to the quiet pool or the kid pool at the main pool area to cool off and chill out. They never melted or had issues at the parks when we took breaks. Every kids different but this strategy worked really well for us. It was also nice to have a sit down meal 1x per day - my kids are used to it and this gave us a nice cool down and eat together period. We found the quick service meals (no matter where they were) to be a bit chaotic and tougher with my sons dairy allergy. We did a bunch of character meals - which also served well since my kids loved them and it kept us from having to wait in long hot lines in the parks.

Mouse-keeping and the resort staff were great with us (kids loved the towel animals we got the first few days) - our room was chaotic with stuff but they did a fantastic job cleaning. On our departure day - my daughter came down with a 24hr stomach bug and she threw-up outside near the ME bus area. The greeter was fabulous at trying to make her feel better and help us clean-up (she was really upset getting sick in public).

Room organization - I can't say enough about bringing hanging shelves, pop-up hamper and laundry bag. They worked wonders. We did laundry 1/2 way through the trip. Easy and convenient with the hamper and laundry bag. Little kids go through a ton of clothes in this type of heat. I packed clothes for each day in a ziplock for each kid. Made getting ready for early park days a cinch. My mom commented that she thought I was a nut when she first saw them a then changed her mind by day 2. Lol. Being able to hang out at the quiet pool and do laundry made it bearable and easy.

Transportation wise - we had a mixed bag. Loved the boat to DTD and FQ. Serious draw for me with the kids. The buses - while convenient most of the time - are tougher for those traveling with multiple strollers. In my opinion - easy and manageable with older kids and adults. Little stroller bound kids - a bit painful. You have to constantly collapse strollers and try to juggle kids and stuff into a busy bus. We rented a car for part of our trip (due to my offsite conference) and I was very happy that we did. I planned to take the buses more - but it was often easier and faster to drive. I rented from the on-property Alamo - pretty inexpensive ($185/wk) and easy shuttle to and from the resort. I would definitely rent again until the kids are older. We brought their carseats with us (flew southwest - free and doesn't count towards baggage). The other plus was we had a number of table meals at other resorts and I didn't have to stress about getting there on time or factor 60-90 min of travel time which is hard with toddlers.


If anyone traveling I similar circumstances has questions feel free to holler - we had a great trip - due in large part to the advice I got through the boards on mobility, allergies, and traveling with small kids. We can't wait to go back - I already want to plan our next disney adventure.
Hi! I have been following this thread forever and am posting for the first time! My family (myself, my husband, and our two kids -my son is 4 & my daughter is almost 2) will be visiting in about a month - August 6-13. We have a royal room with a garden view booked. Your post was awesome because we are in a really similar situation. My daughter can't have any dairy and also has some other dietary restrictions we are still figuring out (hoping for more answers once she is scoped next week.) Did the TS restaurants have milk substitutes? We use Almond Milk, but she can have soy as well. I plan on having some delivered to the room, but am hoping she can some at dinner some times as well. I am assuming no c/s restaurants have anything.

We will not have a rental car and will have a double stroller... Any tips for managing the buses?

Thanks!
Michelle
sciteacher77 is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #1040
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.
 
lmhall2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Space town, AL
Posts: 5,538

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I'm sorry I only have about 2,500 photos of Port Orleans on my website, but if you need more, I guess I'll have to hunt for some... Just Google "Port Orleans" and my site is usually the first one returned after the sponsored links.

There is really no road noise within Port Orleans, the closest I can think of would be where Vista Road skirts along the very northern edge of property, but I've never noticed any noise from there even when standing outside.

What sort of room have you booked? I'd suggest Garden View from your comments, and really just about any of the garden view rooms in Alligator Bayou will be perfect for what you describe, with 26, 28 and 39 being the most enclosed (and probably least requested) buildings. The brick pillars are in the thirties areas (34-39). There are no elevators in the AB buildings, so no worries there.

Andre
I am pretty sure we are garden view! I have spent hours looking at your amazing pictures, the kids (all teens) will ask me to show them again where they are staying I found 4-5 shots of perfect buildings but there is no listing of the building number...I will try and go through here or the other thread and seeif I can sharethem...maybe if I count the picture number you would be able to id it for me? Great to hear about the traffic! Thanks so much!

Image 44/45 or 38 on the AB photos on your website....love 44/45!!!
__________________

lmhall2000 is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #1041
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict
 
andrewilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 5,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
Image 44/45 or 38 on the AB photos on your website....love 44/45!!!


That's building 16, specifically the edge facing towards building 14. You can see the stairway beside rooms 1608 (standard/parking lot view) and 1609 (pool view). The pathway in the foreground leads from the quiet pool to the parking lot.



To be honest, I wouldn't get too bogged down with specific locations. If you don't mind a bit of walking, pretty much EVERY garden view room in AB will give you a nice woodsy outlook.

Andre
__________________
Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!


For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #1042
ILoveMMouse
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciteacher77 View Post
My daughter can't have any dairy and also has some other dietary restrictions we are still figuring out (hoping for more answers once she is scoped next week.) Did the TS restaurants have milk substitutes? We use Almond Milk, but she can have soy as well. I plan on having some delivered to the room, but am hoping she can some at dinner some times as well. I am assuming no c/s restaurants have anything.


Michelle
Don't assume that the CS restaurants won't have dairy free options, Disney is wonderful handling food allergies/intolerances and go out of their way to make sure people are accommodated. Email special.diets@wdw.com and they will send you a list of various locations that can handle your need for non dairy items.
ILoveMMouse is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #1043
LisaTC
DIS Veteran
 
LisaTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciteacher77 View Post
Hi! I have been following this thread forever and am posting for the first time! My family (myself, my husband, and our two kids -my son is 4 & my daughter is almost 2) will be visiting in about a month - August 6-13. We have a royal room with a garden view booked. Your post was awesome because we are in a really similar situation. My daughter can't have any dairy and also has some other dietary restrictions we are still figuring out (hoping for more answers once she is scoped next week.) Did the TS restaurants have milk substitutes? We use Almond Milk, but she can have soy as well. I plan on having some delivered to the room, but am hoping she can some at dinner some times as well. I am assuming no c/s restaurants have anything.

We will not have a rental car and will have a double stroller... Any tips for managing the buses?

Thanks!
Michelle
I'm certain many CS have individual servings of Soy milk. Almond milk, I didn't see, but I didn't look for it, exactly. You could have some delivered from Amazon. You can get a pack of 18/8oz for less than $20.00 and if you have anything else you want/need delivered, if you have over $30.00, you get free shipping. Just have it shipped to your attention at the resort with your conf #. People do it all the time, especially if they are low/no gluten intolerant or dairy intolerant, they will ship their dietary aids to their resort.

Agree with above poster, make sure you email her dietary requests...Disney is VERY good about assisting guests with their dietary needs.
__________________
(ME) (DH) (DD10)


LisaTC is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #1044
Inklight
Earning My Ears
 
Inklight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles04 View Post
I apologize if this has been asked before.

I read on the portorleans.org site that the rooms have Cuisinart coffee makers with coffee pods.

Couple of questions:

1. How many Regular coffee pods do they give you per day? (Decaf does NOT count!) We would need two Regular pods per day.

2. Has anyone had an issue with these not being replenished daily?

I'm considering buying some of the pods online and bringing them along, but if they're good about keeping us stocked, I'd be happy with the complimentary ones.

Thanks!
We just returned from our FABULOUS stay at POR and I am catching up on this thread. This was probably answered for you already, but here goes anyways.

I brought a bag of pods plus a box of individual creamers in my suitcase. I put the box of creamers in a large ziplock bag just in case they were crushed ... but I had no issues with them at all.

We were given two regular pods per day, which were enough for us. I never opened the bag of pods I brought. I did, though, use the individual coffee creamers and was happy I had them in the room. There are individual coffee creamers in the food court ... so next time I may not even bring those.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!
__________________
~Robin
Inklight is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #1045
Stinkerbell's Mommy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Posts: 138

I'm at 60 days today for my room only reservation. I have to wait two days until my package reservation is available for checking (8/31 - 9/2 and 9/2 - 9/9). Silly free dining dates.

Anyway, I remember someone saying you could request a continuation of the first reservation so you didn't (necessarily) have to change rooms if they could manage it. I just started the online check in and never saw an option for a free form request, only the option where you could pick a floor and a corner room.

Did I miss something or do I need to call and have the other information added?
__________________
Stinkerbell's Mommy is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #1046
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran
 
SRUAlmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SC
Posts: 9,338

Same here! I used the site someone posted previously and ordered some pods. We stopped at Goodings on our way in and got creamer ( much to my dismay this meant getting off one exit before the big welcome sign, ha!) Anyway, I was thrilled to see that the in-room pods were Joffreys and were actually BETTER than what I brought. There were 2 reg and 2 decaf, but once they saw that I was using them they gave me 3-4 and a ton of packs of stirrers/napkins/sugar.
__________________
Me DH Our "Baby"
**Christmas 1994 - POFQ
**Christmas 1997 - Polynesian
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #1047
Cinderumbrella
Wench
 
Cinderumbrella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Home of the 2013 Stanley Cup Champs!
Posts: 10,302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbell's Mommy View Post
I'm at 60 days today for my room only reservation. I have to wait two days until my package reservation is available for checking (8/31 - 9/2 and 9/2 - 9/9). Silly free dining dates.

Anyway, I remember someone saying you could request a continuation of the first reservation so you didn't (necessarily) have to change rooms if they could manage it. I just started the online check in and never saw an option for a free form request, only the option where you could pick a floor and a corner room.

Did I miss something or do I need to call and have the other information added?
You need to call 407WDISNEY and have the agent "link" the 2 reservations together, with a request to keep the same room. That information will make it to the room assignors who will do everything possible to make that happen.

HTH!
__________________
Next Trip ~ Grand Wailea Maui ~ November 2014
Yacht Club November 2013~ Pop Century~September 2013~Port Orleans Riverside Royal & Yacht Club Regatta Club June 2013~Pop Century August 2012~
Yacht Club Regatta Club June 2012~Beach Club Stone Harbor Club November 2011~Yacht Club Regatta Club June 2011~Boardwalk Innkeepers Club November 2010~
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #1048
Stinkerbell's Mommy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Posts: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
You need to call 407WDISNEY and have the agent "link" the 2 reservations together, with a request to keep the same room. That information will make it to the room assignors who will do everything possible to make that happen.

HTH!
Thank you! I don't "own" my reservation thanks to using a TA (never again) so I'll have her do it.
__________________
Stinkerbell's Mommy is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #1049
sciteacher77
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMMouse View Post
Don't assume that the CS restaurants won't have dairy free options, Disney is wonderful handling food allergies/intolerances and go out of their way to make sure people are accommodated. Email and they will send you a list of various locations that can handle your need for non dairy items.
Thank you! I will email as soon as she has her scope so I know what other limitations she may have! Thanks so much!
sciteacher77 is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #1050
Cinderumbrella
Wench
 
Cinderumbrella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Home of the 2013 Stanley Cup Champs!
Posts: 10,302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbell's Mommy View Post
Thank you! I don't "own" my reservation thanks to using a TA (never again) so I'll have her do it.
Sorry you feel that way (I use a TA all the time but she is fantastic. I can see how an unresponsive one would drive you crazy).

After you have her do it, I would recommend sending a fax directly to the resort about 7 days before you arrive for the room only, re-iterating (just in case ) See page 1 for details on how to do this (You can definitely bypass the TA for this step )
__________________
Next Trip ~ Grand Wailea Maui ~ November 2014
Yacht Club November 2013~ Pop Century~September 2013~Port Orleans Riverside Royal & Yacht Club Regatta Club June 2013~Pop Century August 2012~
Yacht Club Regatta Club June 2012~Beach Club Stone Harbor Club November 2011~Yacht Club Regatta Club June 2011~Boardwalk Innkeepers Club November 2010~
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: