Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Agent vs. Direct booking

We have always booked directly with Disney cruise line and are considering using Dreams Unlimited due to the shipboard credit. Any thoughts? Can you still manage your reservation online with Disney. Can I make my own reservations, excursion bookings? Any pros and or cons for both. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
We have always booked directly with Disney cruise line and are considering using Dreams Unlimited due to the shipboard credit. Any thoughts? Can you still manage your reservation online with Disney. Can I make my own reservations, excursion bookings? Any pros and or cons for both. Thanks in advance!
I just used DU for a short 3 night cruise and I am also using them for our upcoming 7 night. I can still go online and book excursions/spa/Palo/etc but I can not call DCL if I have a problem. I simply let my agent know and she takes care of it. So far, we have had no problems and the OBC really helps out.

Working with an online agent is not for everyone. I always know what I want before I request a quote.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

I have booked on-line with DCL and got an OBC for booking on-line and then transferred my res to DU and got their OBC too. There have been some rule changes so I'm not sure you can still do this but maybe you can.

I think the only thing you can't do at the DCL website is make a payment or modify your reservation. You can still do on-line check-in, book excursions and such.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
I have booked on-line with DCL and got an OBC for booking on-line and then transferred my res to DU and got their OBC too. There have been some rule changes so I'm not sure you can still do this but maybe you can.

I think the only thing you can't do at the DCL website is make a payment or modify your reservation. You can still do on-line check-in, book excursions and such.
This doesn't work any more. You can only transfer a res within the first 30 days of booking it and you will not get the full amount of OBC promised as if booking directly.

Bottom line, if you are already familiar with the procedure on selecting a cruise, deck, category and stateroom, do your homework, look for availability, have a couple of backup options, and send a message to a TA with all the information.

I found that DCL was actually much easier to work with than parks CRO when you use a TA. DCL has no issues in answering all your questions except for any financial related ones. Parks CRO basically tell you - call your TA.

Some other tips, contact your TA a few days prior to your PIF date to process payments - you don't want to wait till the last second. Also, you will still do all of the online check-in and port adventures booking yourself in any case. Again, the only thing you cannot do is make payments.

TA will process all payments - including Disney Rewards or Disney Gift Cards. If using a Disney Visa, you'll also be able to use the 6 months no finance option and potentially get the $50 OBC credit as well.

My .02..
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Quote:
This is exactly why we went with DU. I knew what we wanted but I wanted DUs OBC. So we did the quote request and we are all set. My TA at DU is wonderful and she answers all my emails quickly. I even sent one on a Sunday so she would see it Monday and she answered me within an hour on the Sunday!
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We used Dreams Unlimited for our first cruise back in May and now for our upcoming second cruise. We made all of our payments through them, we also got occassional emails from DCL, and I also had a reservation number through DCL that I could log in on the DCL site and see our reservation, we already had a room # assigned. When it came to booking port adventures and dinners when our window opened up, I logged right onto the DCL web site at midnight and booked and reserved away.

No problems or worries at all. Go for it, we got $150 of free moneu from them, plus we booked when DCL was offering $25 OBC, so we got a total of $175 for using the travel agent.

Disney World: 1978, 1995, 2010 PORS, 2011 POFQ, 2012 CBR, 2014 PORS

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Dream, May 2013, Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015.
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
donalduck
DIS Veteran

I have never been on a cruise before. I got a quote from dreams for 2 people for this January and it was a little over 3K. Does this rate usually drop because of specials that they come out with? Or are we going to be paying this much?
donalduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalduck View Post
I have never been on a cruise before. I got a quote from dreams for 2 people for this January and it was a little over 3K. Does this rate usually drop because of specials that they come out with? Or are we going to be paying this much?
The quotes I got from DU were to the penny the same as direct thru dcl. The closer the cruise gets I've been told the more expensive they get.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalduck
We booked through a TA and it was maybe $100 cheaper but we also got a $50 on board credit. I cannot believe cruise is that much for two people! We booked a year in advance and it was only $2800 for 2 adults and 3 kids. Note to self. ..book in advance.

Happy sailing!
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalduck View Post
Price depends on cabin, ship, itinerary, # of pax, ages of pax, and season. Play around with dates and categories on the DCL site; http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/reservations/booking

Sometimes they release discounted *GT rates after paid in full date, 75 days out. Also occasionally available are Military and FL resident rates. Check Specials on the DCL site.

This may be helpful. GTY and *GT definitions.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914256

HTH
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
JAMWDW
Mouseketeer

We used Costco as our travel agent for our June 2013 3-day Dream cruise and it was very easy. Prices they quoted were exactly what DCL was offering. We did however receive a $190 Costco gift card for booking through them which just came in the mail this week. We were also able to use our Disney Chase Visa which got us a $50 OBC. And as another poster mentioned, when you use your Chase Visa to pay for your trip, you have six months to pay off your vacation at zero interest. As everybody else has said, we too were able to use our DCL reservation number to go on to the Disney website and make our port reservations etc.
JAMWDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: