Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #61
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
Sure!

Alaska Stone Art
125 Main St.
Ketchikan, AK 99901
(907) 247-3332

StoneArt.AK@gmail.com

Item # BR6032-F "Small Black Orca Bear w/fish"
List price: $42.50

I paid $33 + 6% tax in store with end of summer clearance on 9/1/12.
On 9/23/12 I ordered it by mail and it was further reduced to $30 + $20 shipping. (Did I say $10 before? sorry, fuzzy memory.) No tax since it was shipped out of state.

He is only 2 1/4" long incl fish and 1 1/2" tall. They had larger ones but I liked the little one & the price was reasonable.
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it!
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #62
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Bumping up and hoping that some of the recent Alaskan cruisers might have some great finds to share.

Also wondering if anyone has found some of the beautiful Ulu knifes that I have read about elsewhere?
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #63
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Like the ulu knife and bowl set!!!!! I missed that one. Might have to get that one for my landlord I might have to make a list of all the things I like.

Thank you again RweThereyet for starting this thread

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #64
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

I love the Northern Lights and Glacier Ice necklace pendants that I bought at a small, friendly store in Juneau. Also the Whale Tail necklace. We were on the late August cruise and stores were already starting their end of season sales, so I got great prices! Wearing them brings back memories of a fantastic cruise.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #65
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

We bought several souvenirs from our recent Alaskan cruise, however I have one that is sort of silly but I love it!! I saw this in two different stores in Ketchikan so I'm sure they are well known. It's a "water/rain globe" like a snow globe. On the outside at the bottom it says, "Even in the rain I love Ketchikan". Inside it has a miniature scene with a fishing boat, whale tail, the Ketchikan sign, totem pole, bear, bald eagle, a house, and a mountain in the back. You turn it over and it fills with the water inside, turn it back upright and it makes it look like it's raining inside. I just fell in love with it and it's very soothing! lol Funny thing - it didn't rain a drop for all us all cruise, but it's still an awesome memory and I have it sitting on my desk where I work so I can see it.

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013. Next: 10/2015 WDW/MNSSHP/F&W
DCL (Platinum): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy, 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I), & 12/2014 Wonder Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #66
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

Eskimo YoYo

"The Eskimo yo-yo is a training version of the bolo weapon. To play with an Eskimo yo-yo, get the two orbitals spinning in opposite directions—it’s harder than you might think! Seal fur and leather colors vary from yo-yo to yo-yo."

I bought several in a little shop in Kodiak. Spousal unit remembered her grandfather had brought her one from his around the world cruise in the 60's, so when I was AK bound she asked me to look for some . . .

http://www.alaskamuseumstore.com/db30-eskimo-yo30.html

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #67
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_BJ View Post
Eskimo YoYo

"The Eskimo yo-yo is a training version of the bolo weapon. To play with an Eskimo yo-yo, get the two orbitals spinning in opposite directions—it’s harder than you might think! Seal fur and leather colors vary from yo-yo to yo-yo."

I bought several in a little shop in Kodiak. Spousal unit remembered her grandfather had brought her one from his around the world cruise in the 60's, so when I was AK bound she asked me to look for some . . .

http://www.alaskamuseumstore.com/db30-eskimo-yo30.html
Love this! The technique sounds similar to Hawaiian poi balls. At least if you loose control, it doesn't hurt much when it hits you!!!!!!!
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #68
DVC Mary
I must have missed the lobster

The Back Alley Rock Shop in Skagway is locally owned has similar sculptures to the cute bear one. We bought one there.

I'd like to put in another vote for the quality of Salmon etc. in Ketchikan. We bought a case of our favorite & had it shipped home. We gave them out as gifts too.

My favorite gift is a thick soft hoodie I got on the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour--also our favorite excursion. It says I survived the Bering Sea on the back & I always get so many questions about that I feel like I get to relive it every time I talk about it. The boat was used in the show Deadliest Catch.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/b...mans-tour.html
WL'99, OKW '00, BWV/AKL '01, AKL '02, BCV '03, VWL '04 & DCL '04, SSR/AKL CL '05, VWL & DCL '06, BWV '07, Queen Nana's 1st trip 80th B-Day GF CL/BWV '08, BWV/ VWL '08 , BCV DCL AKLV '09, BCV '09, Poly CL / AKV 2010, Alaska DCL 2011, AKV CL, BCV, Canada Magic & Fantasy DCL '12,VWL'13,BWV/AKL CL X-mas'13,Univ/VWL Summer '14, DCL AK ?? '15
DVC Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #69
mouselike-harrier
Mouseketeer

Question

Did you find that a lot of the local shops take credit cards???

mouselike-harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #70
Spart02
Mouseketeer

Every shop we went to took credit cards. We couldn't believe the inexpensive coats, t-shirts, hats, and stuffed animals in the Alaska ports! I'm talking super cheap! It was so much fun shopping in each of the ports.

May 98 - CBR - Honeymoon
Jan. 02 - Offsite - DoubleTree Club
Jan. 04 - POP
Jan. 06 - POP
Sept. 06 - Disneyland Hotel
Dec. 07 - POP
Jan. 09 - Wilderness Lodge
Jan. 10 - Dreams Villas
Oct. 10 - Dreams Villas
Jan. 12 - Disney Dream Cruise, then Bay Lake Tower
June 13 - Wonder - Alaska!
May 14 - Magic - Transatlantic
Spart02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #71
mouselike-harrier
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spart02 View Post
Every shop we went to took credit cards. We couldn't believe the inexpensive coats, t-shirts, hats, and stuffed animals in the Alaska ports! I'm talking super cheap! It was so much fun shopping in each of the ports.
Great! You just made me and DD's Day!

mouselike-harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #72
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

We picked up some gorgeous soaps, hand cream, lip balm etc from the Glacier Silt Soap Shop in Juneau. They gave us lots of free samples and some birthday bubbles for DH when they overheard one of our fellow cruisers wish him happy birthday

I also bought a lovely silver whale charm in Juneau to celebrate spotting some from the ship that day

In Skagway I got a great T-Shirt from the Skagway Brewing Company for my brother

Oh and the chocolates from Ketchi-Candies in Ketchikan are delicious gifts but be sure to save some for yourselves
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #74
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

I like to buy items that I would only get in Alaska. On the shops on the Wonder I bought the character totem pole, A Alaskan Minnie doll for my best friends little girl, the photo frame, and the Alaskan cruise blanket I think that is my favorite. In Skagway I bought another Russian nesting doll. I collect them. Very reasonable and a great selection, The Christmas ship in Skagway has mostly hand made items that were made in Alaska the one in ketchican are made in china. Lots of hand made items. I also looked at the Alaskan T shirt company large store think Walmart prices. I got 2 t shirts for $12. In Juneau we stopped at an art gallery and next door had some wonderful jewelry. I bought the Alaskan state flower forget me not earrings. We went to a place called changing tides which is a cross stitch and embroidery store and get several items and Christmas items too. My friends got me some Russian doll fabric which they sent me after the cruise and made into a pillow! We also stopped at the Red Dog and got the t shirt and I bought my husband and Ulu knife. The cruise line will keep it until we arrive back in Vancouver. Ketchican had some great buys don't forget about Creek Street lots of authentic things and some great items on sale for rain jackets and polar fleece with Alaskan on it. I think they were about $19. We did the bearing sea fishermans tour and bought some t shirts and coffee cup for my husband. In Seattle I bought some cute little sleep pants with Sleepless in Seattle.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #75
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Can anyone tell me a price range for the whale necklaces? Sounds like a great souvenir since we'll be whale watching!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: