Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #136
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie170 View Post
We had a bad experience at Crystal Palace. Arrived at 11:00 for an 11:15 ADR. Was finally seated at 11:45 after standing in the scorching heat. For some reason, a couple of the characters skipped our table. We were located in the middle of the room. When I asked a CM if we could get a visit from these characters, she said she would try to see if they would come to our table. After waiting a ridiculous amount of time, we left. Walked out at 1:40. Two hours and forty minutes spent on a buffet where the food was just alright and never got to see all the characters.
The Crystal Palace is known for running a bit behind. You also need to know that an ADR does not guarantee you will be seated at that exact time. It guarantees you the next table that opens up for your party size. Being seated a half an hour after your ADR time is pretty normal at the Crystal Palace.

Also, the characters work the room in set patterns. I think they sometimes forget where they are when the signal to have the parade goes off. We have had to ask to see characters there too.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #137
annie170
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
The Crystal Palace is known for running a bit behind. You also need to know that an ADR does not guarantee you will be seated at that exact time. It guarantees you the next table that opens up for your party size. Being seated a half an hour after your ADR time is pretty normal at the Crystal Palace.

Also, the characters work the room in set patterns. I think they sometimes forget where they are when the signal to have the parade goes off. We have had to ask to see characters there too.
Thanks for this response. If this is the norm for Crystal Palace, it will probably be awhile before we return.
annie170 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #138
peteykirch
Mouseketeer

Ohana.

While it wasn't the food, it was all delicious, the service was just beyond pitiful.

Everything was fine and dandy until the meats were supposed to make their rounds. Well, I guess where my table was it was at the end of where the skewers would run out, and instead of going back from where they ended, they started the rounds at the beginning. Point is there was a 30 minute gap between the time our noodles and veggies were delivered before the first skewer came to the table.
peteykirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #139
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie170 View Post
Thanks for this response. If this is the norm for Crystal Palace, it will probably be awhile before we return.
Ugh! I know that is what happens at most places, but I am glad we only go there for breakfast and always get the 8am ADR when the restaurant opens.

My least favorite restaurant in my opinion is Sci-fi. We dined here twice actually.. giving it another go, just in case we went on an off-night the first time. Well the second time, we were still let down and won't go back. The food was not good and the only thing it has going for it is the atmosphere.. they really should play something better on the big screen though. Seeing the loop over and over again got kind of annoying.

We also will not go back to Tony's in MK. My Mom got so sick after eating there. There were flies all over the restaurant, it was awful! Food was not good. But this was not a recent visit.. we were just so turned off by our experience that we vowed to never go back, as there are so many better restaurants in WDW. MK is definitely lacking on TS... even with Be Our Guest since it is so hard to get into. I am not in any hurry to eat there either. I'd rather dine at one of the monorail resorts.

tinkerbella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #140
starousse
DIS Veteran

Extremely disappointed with the service at BOG. Food was ok, atmosphere very nice, service HORRIBLE
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #141
bigmac5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starousse View Post
Extremely disappointed with the service at BOG. Food was ok, atmosphere very nice, service HORRIBLE
sorry to hear that. Did you go for lunch or dinner?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #142
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

The problems with these types of threads are:

1. There's no common reference point. The only common points across the country are chain restaurants: Cheesecak Factory, Applebee's, Red Lobster, etc. Maybe we should give out opinions on a few or maybe some specific dish most people would recognize. One person's 3 star meal may be another's toss into the trash.

2. The opinions are a point in time. Not multiple reviews over time. Although if most people think a place is bad, then it probably is.

3. I rarely see any flavor descriptors for something they don't like. For example, we bought a pre-made pizza (first mistake) at a local grocery store and it tasted like nail polish. Plain awful. But some people may like the taste of nail polish.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #143
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtatty View Post
For us its California grill.
Service was so bad & slow there, didn't think the food was that special either.
This relates to something I mentioned above. What were your expectations for the service? I'm not criticizing in any way just curious. I always thought the service was well paced, taking about 2 hours from seating to check which is about normal for a restaurant of this kind.
Wilderness Lodge 2004

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #144
DizzneyDi
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure I'll ever return to the Wave. I'd heard such good things about it, but my one dinner there was unsatisfactory on several levels. The food was edible but portions were tiny and everything seemed tasteless and bland, it was so dark that I nearly fell asleep while waiting for the next course, and the service was horribly slow. Two of the three desserts were good but the third one was just gross! The restaurant wasn't at all crowded but our waiter seemed to disappear for long stretches of time. If I'm going to use a huge chunk of park time to have a meal, I want something MUCH better than what I got at the Wave.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus -- Mark Twain

DizzneyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #145
ginnygi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF0wle View Post
The only restaurant I would not return to personally would be Mama Melrose at DHS. The other restaurant that gets mixed reviews is Tony's at MK. Other than I haven't had a bad meal at Disney.
Mama Melrose is the only dining experience at Disney that I can say I was completely unhappy with. The food was not good and the service was pitiful. Worst Disney dining experience ever.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #146
Eastern
DIS Veteran

Here's the ones I don't want to go to because so many people seem to hate them or post repeated poor reviews:

Mama Melrose
Hollywood and Vine
Tony's Town Square
Coral Reef
Crystal Palace
Kouzzina
Captain's Grille DTD

Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #147
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern View Post
Here's the ones I don't want to go to because so many people seem to hate them or post repeated poor reviews:

Mama Melrose
Hollywood and Vine
Tony's Town Square
Coral Reef
Crystal Palace
Kouzzina
Captain's Grille DTD

Interesting. We found Mama Melrose perfectly fine for lunch. Although we did not have the usual Italian meals. Crystal Palace is acceptable for a buffet but it's pretty expensive. I don't expect a lot when that amount of food is being churned out daily. The only reason we ate there in January was because we were on the Dining Plan and my wife's a Pooh nut.
Wilderness Lodge 2004

Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #148
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

I use to adore Whispering Canyon Cafe, but our last couple of visits the food has been just awful. It will be a couple years before I step foot in there again!
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #149
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Wow - where to start? First let me say that there are lots of really good restaurants at WDW. But some of them really need to be just wiped away and re-made.
  • Tony's Town Square - chef BoyRDe
  • Big River Grille & Brew Works - really bad service and food. The beer isn't good enough to redeem this place.
  • Fultons - such a great location and surroundings, too bad its so lack-luster in the food.
  • Le Cellier - tables are way too close and the food isn't up to "signature" restaurant standards
  • Coral Reef - you would think this place could serve a decent piece of fish, but sadly it can.
  • Planet Hollywood - needs to be moved to a different planet and replaced with something that focuses on food, not memorabilia.
  • Rainforest - Again lets focus on food rather than distracting patrons with effects.
  • T-Rex - See Rainforest
  • Whispering Canyon Cafe - "Antics" aren't a replacement for actual service and even mediocre food.
  • Nine Dragons - you have better Chinese food in your home town for much, much less.

Lets see, is there anybody out there that I haven't offended with this list?
I love that we're all different and enjoy different things.
Because, I love Le Cellier, love Planet Hollywood, love Rainforest, love T-Rex and love Nine Dragons. I just left the T-Rex, the rotisserie chicken is amazing!
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #150
SageFemme
Mouseketeer

Tony's for sure! It was the very first Disney restaurant we went to. The food was horrible except for the tiramisu. That was yummy. The server was good. But seriously, that food

Sept. 1998 - Last minute, 3 day (did not get to visit AK), off site, childhood trip.
2006 - Disneyland
May 2010 - Off site, last minute (no AK or Epcot) trip.
August 2011 - Disneyland
Sept. 19-24, 2011 at Pop Century w/ MNSSHP
May 10-18, 2013 - DCL Magic from Galveston
June 22-29, 2014 - RCCL Freedom of the Seas
Dec. 18-24, 2014 - WDW w/ MVMCP
SageFemme is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: