Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
ahain
Thankful & Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacruiser View Post
...... due to our recent cruises, 11 DCL cruises in last 30 months. And ready to get back on to be completely honest.

WOW! I am sooooooo envious! 11 DCL cruises in 30 months!! What a blessing tihs must be!!! Maybe someday for DH and I, but I can only dream of that right now as we need to try to schedule cruises 1) at times when DD won't miss any school, 2) when DH & I have vacation days available, and 3) when the "budget" says we can swing it!
Disney Wonder - Alaska - 6/2015 ......Disney Dream - 4 night Bahamas - 4/2015...Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2014...Disney Fantasy - 7 night Eastern Caribbean - 4/2014 .....Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2012
ahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Haven't read through all of them, but I made a conscious decision to be 'present' in each moment. In other words, if I wasn't sleeping, I was fully taking in everything. (Not like my Carnival, where I laid my forehead on the seat in front of me in down time waiting for something to happen.) It really worked! 2 weeks later, I decided to write a trip log, and I was able to remember enough to fill 20 fully typed pages (normal font) with just 1 hopping WDW and surprise dinner at the Contemporary, and then the 3 day Dream cruise.

One thing I would NOT do is focus on "I only have this much time left". We filled our trip to the brim at times. Others, we sat on our veranda and enjoyed a margarita or tea. Twinkie wanted a spa morning. Even when we were in line for 40 min Aquaduck, we took in the sights and smells and views (as we left CC) and some of the Junglebook scenes playing on the Funnelvision or a nice German couple we met, or the nice family man who told us "Nah you won't get wet on it!" Ha! We saw him later in the elavator-soaken to the bones! We all laughed about it. Even in line on Pelican Plunge, I remember the puddles under my feet, the spray shooters, etc.

I'm not sure how to describe it except that you take note of the entire experience and kinda meditate on it while you are there. I'm amazed still how many memories and details just writing this is coming up with.

You can still be busy, be relaxed, and be mentally present in all of it. Also, don't be too busy to have at least one person with you on the trip who is a photo freak. It may be annoying at the time, but you are so glad when you have them to document all the places and good times to relive for later.

Happy memory building!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahain View Post
WOW! I am sooooooo envious! 11 DCL cruises in 30 months!! What a blessing tihs must be!!! Maybe someday for DH and I, but I can only dream of that right now as we need to try to schedule cruises 1) at times when DD won't miss any school, 2) when DH & I have vacation days available, and 3) when the "budget" says we can swing it!
It's taken a long time to get where we are able to avoid fixing a roof, buying new bedroom furniture and living room furniture. I still need all that done, but we had decided to put some of that on the back burner.

However, we did get our DD raised and her college and my college all paid for. We have no credit cards and only have a house payment. We gave up stuff earlier in life so that we have a little more flexibility. And, yes still not too old so we can enjoy some trips now and then. Sailing out of Galveston has really been nice while it has lasted.

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacruiser View Post
It's taken a long time to get where we are able to avoid fixing a roof, buying new bedroom furniture and living room furniture. I still need all that done, but we had decided to put some of that on the back burner.

However, we did get our DD raised and her college and my college all paid for. We have no credit cards and only have a house payment. We gave up stuff earlier in life so that we have a little more flexibility. And, yes still not too old so we can enjoy some trips now and then. Sailing out of Galveston has really been nice while it has lasted.
Hehe. Your priorities, as always, crack me up! But I agree! Who wants to fix a roof? In our case, it's our dilapidated deck... blah..who wants to rebuild a deck...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy32 View Post
Nothing beats a three hour dinner at Remy!
:

You could also try some of the other things we do to kick back

A Remy Lunch or a Palo Brunch (oh what the heck a Palo dinner as well) & you can't help but relax.
Throw in catching a sunset or 2, hitting the Rain Forrest and you have it made.

We also find doing a 7 day cruise gives us more time to plan different activities as well as spending time together just relaxing & enjoying our cruises.
darkwing818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
smmast
Welcomed Guest

We try to treat the ship like its the destination. Unless we are in the med, the ship is why we are there. I used to feel guilty about missing the MDR or a show, but since vacation doesn't come as often as we would like I have let go of the guilt. I still tip the wait staff as if we were there, but allow myself the freedom to may order room service instead. I like the idea of being "present" and I'm still working on it.
smmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
sunryzez
Mouseketeer

I first took a seven night cruise with a ton of family and I felt so stressed the entire time like I had to do everything and it really did go by fast. After that I just kind of relaxed and do what I want to do. I also let my family do what they want. I do not pressure my kids to go to the clubs or not, see a movie or not, what to eat etc..It is vacation and I want us all to enjoy it. I remind myself that the whole trip so even on shorter cruises now I just try to remember that. My last cruise was great, I skipped Cozumel since we had gone before and spent the the whole morning at the gym, rainforest and adult pool..I cant remember the last time I had 4 solid hours of just relaxing!
So anyway, my advice is to just always remember it is your vacation and you should do what you all truly want to do...and take time to relax!

sunryzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
time4dis
Mouseketeer

Don't waste time on administrative stuff. figure out your tips and photo package beforehand, and whatever else to keep you in the moment, and out of the administrative details. Plus tracking 'when I have to go to the front desk' makes you acutely aware of the time and date, subconsciously telling you that the trip is half-over, almost over, etc.
time4dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4dis View Post
Don't waste time on administrative stuff. figure out your tips and photo package beforehand, and whatever else to keep you in the moment, and out of the administrative details. Plus tracking 'when I have to go to the front desk' makes you acutely aware of the time and date, subconsciously telling you that the trip is half-over, almost over, etc.
yeah, this stuff always ruins my stressless moments completely.

I am getting better, and I will definitely this cruise do these things to alleviate this total issue for myself saying this to myself over and over again:

"1) Get the photo package before hand. I know I'm going to want it, I know how I feel about the money for the pictures: RAPED! but it's these photos that have become priceless to me now."

"2) Just drop the damn future cruise card off, girl! - You are not specific about dates yet, you know it, and you know all there is to know about the types of cruises offered and what ship you want to be on! Good God, girl, just stop standing in line!"

"3) you can call guest services when you have an issue, you really can. They're not going to fix it any faster standing in the line and being face to face. Just call first. Then they will tell you to come down or not."

"4) Pre pay tips." This isn't going to be hard for me because I switched to this two cruises prior, but it's worth saying to others, really, the point above is awesome!

"5) (and this one's going to be hard for me to stick to, but I need to) YOU ARE NOT GOING TO WIN ANYTHING AT THE SPA OPEN HOUSE! You aren't and even if you do, girl, is it worth the time you just took on your first day to stand there and listen to that and go through the pulling of names?! NOOOO!!! You think the sales pitch is bad for a treatment you booked and paid for?! Well, you ain't seen nothing yet for the ones you win!!!" Please dear Lord, let me remember this come February!

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #25
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

No matter the length of the trip - it always flies by. My best advice is to book the longest trip (whether land and/or cruise) you can afford. My recent 14-night Magic Transatlantic cruise was a few dollars less than my December 7-night Fantasy cruise. I initially wasn't terribly excited about it due to its limited ports, but the Transatlantic's "ship life" turned out to be the best of any of my cruises.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: