Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Ohana v Spirit of Aloha with two little ones

Let me preface this by saying that our oldest was born in Hawaii and loves anything having to do with the culture, and DH and I both loved the Spirit of Aloha show when we saw it years ago.

That said, I am wondering if Ohana would give us the same Hawaiian 'feel' for less? We will have our 1yo DD and 7 yo DD with us, and the 7 year old really likes the idea of a luau (she can't remember going because we left Hawaii when she was 2 1/2) but I'm thinking the family style meal and ambiance would be enough for her and a lot easier than trying to wrangle a 1 yo through the whole SoA show. Plus, we could save a TS credit for another meal later in the trip.

Thoughts? We have never eaten at Ohana, but I know it's a top pick for many, so that's another perk I see. Do they do music and other island 'feel' things as well?
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
deakam
DIS Veteran

We learned to do the hula at O'hana. They have coconut races and lots of other fun stuff, plus tons of leis. Our 7 year old had a blast. It is more interactive than the luau. No fire dancer though.
deakam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Ohana
Old 07-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakam View Post
We learned to do the hula at O'hana. They have coconut races and lots of other fun stuff, plus tons of leis. Our 7 year old had a blast. It is more interactive than the luau. No fire dancer though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Ohana

Thank you!!! I didn't relize Ohana had activities for kids! I also like the idea of doing an early dinner ADR and going down to the beach for fireworks - we used to sit at the beach and watch the fireworks at the Hilton Hawaiian Village when we lived there, so I think it would be great for an end to a night! Mahalo for the advice!!!
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

The other plus for 'Ohana is that it is not weather dependant.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
Let me preface this by saying that our oldest was born in Hawaii and loves anything having to do with the culture, and DH and I both loved the Spirit of Aloha show when we saw it years ago.

That said, I am wondering if Ohana would give us the same Hawaiian 'feel' for less? We will have our 1yo DD and 7 yo DD with us, and the 7 year old really likes the idea of a luau (she can't remember going because we left Hawaii when she was 2 1/2) but I'm thinking the family style meal and ambiance would be enough for her and a lot easier than trying to wrangle a 1 yo through the whole SoA show. Plus, we could save a TS credit for another meal later in the trip.

Thoughts? We have never eaten at Ohana, but I know it's a top pick for many, so that's another perk I see. Do they do music and other island 'feel' things as well?
Another vote for Ohana. We've been to both SoA and Ohana and while we thought the luau was great, Ohana is a lot of fun for kids .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Ride View Post
The other plus for 'Ohana is that it is not weather dependant.
OOOH, I hadn't even considered that! That is definitely a plus - when DH and I did the luau, the weather was iffy up until 30 minutes before the show and the fire dancer was questionable. We ended up getting the full show, but it would be nice not to stress about the weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Another vote for Ohana. We've been to both SoA and Ohana and while we thought the luau was great, Ohana is a lot of fun for kids .
That's so good to hear. Our 7 year old loves any excuse to get up and move around, and if our newest is anything like her sister, she'll love taking the whole ambiance in!

YAY - now I'm totally excited and I have more than a year to wait! At least I have an extra TS credit to contemplate in the meantime!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: