Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
disney-inspired

Disney on the brain 24/7/365!
*grumble* stupid cm *grumble*

Traveling with the grandparents - Where do we stay?!

Hello!

In planning on surprising my grandparents with a trip to Walt Disney World (their first visit!) for the 2015 Flower and Garden Festival.

My grandparents are elderly (early and mid-70s) but are very active. My grandma is the one with some mobility issues (joint pain). I know we will be taking full advantage of whatever resort amenities are offered so, what resort would you recommend that is not too expansive but is great for relaxing?

Thank you!
Old 06-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney-inspired View Post
Hello!

In planning on surprising my grandparents with a trip to Walt Disney World (their first visit!) for the 2015 Flower and Garden Festival.

My grandparents are elderly (early and mid-70s) but are very active. My grandma is the one with some mobility issues (joint pain). I know we will be taking full advantage of whatever resort amenities are offered so, what resort would you recommend that is not too expansive but is great for relaxing?

Thank you!
One of the Epcot resorts might be good because you can either take a boat or walk to Epcot from the resort. Plus you will have a balcony or porch where the grandparents can sit when they don't care to go to the parks.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
guppy1013
Mouseketeer

I agree with the Epcot resorts as well. You have a lot of choices for food right there at boardwalk, yacht& beach and swan/dolphin. My parents (60 and 53) loved the Swan because of the location. We walked through Epcot and would take the monorail to MK instead of the bus--the walk through the countries was their favorite even though it took a little longer. If grandma needs an EVP they might rent them at the international gateway entrance to EP too. Boardwalk is busy and louder because of the nightlife but makes for great people watching. Good luck planning, sounds fun! Hope you all have a great time.

July 2014: VGF/BWV split stay
Jan. 2014: AKL-KV- 1st DVC stay
2013- Purchase DVC
Dec. 2012: Swan- 1st family trip!; Dec. 2006: Dolphin; Feb. 2003: WL/ BWV; Feb. 2001: All Star Music

Many previous trips prior to meeting each other!
guppy1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
disney-inspired

Thanks for the responses. Deluxe resorts are a bit out of my price range at the moment (should have made that clear in my first post). I'm thinking more along the lines of a moderate resort. If I'm able, I will definitely spring for the deluxe though.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

The cheapest way to do this would be to stay off site, some place like Wyndham Bonnet Creek. You would have plenty of room and privacy. Two bedroom condos run about $120. A night. Check vacationupgrades.com

You could also do two rooms at Port Orleans Riverside or at a value resort. Both would be more expensive.

You could also rent points and use the vacation club places. I don't know the first thing about doing this other than you can find really good deals on deluxe resorts by doing it. If you check the vacation club threads here you can find more info on it.

I think you are doing a super sweet thing by taking them. Cherish these days that you have with them and make all of the memories you can.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
croppingcafe
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at the Poly, AKL, Port Orleans-Riverside and Port Orleans-French Quarter. And my last trip we did a couple of days at All Stars Movies. My favorite resort is still Port Orleans--either one! The grounds are beautiful and it is one of the quieter resorts. It is very laid back. I did find that the buses seemed to be less crowded going in/out of FQ.
croppingcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #7
disney-inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 View Post
The cheapest way to do this would be to stay off site, some place like Wyndham Bonnet Creek. You would have plenty of room and privacy. Two bedroom condos run about $120. A night. Check vacationupgrades.com

You could also do two rooms at Port Orleans Riverside or at a value resort. Both would be more expensive.

You could also rent points and use the vacation club places. I don't know the first thing about doing this other than you can find really good deals on deluxe resorts by doing it. If you check the vacation club threads here you can find more info on it.

I think you are doing a super sweet thing by taking them. Cherish these days that you have with them and make all of the memories you can.
I'm very anti off-site. I've never done it and don't plan to because it really takes away the magic for me. Also, I think the car rental to get from off-site to WDW would be a hassle (especially if we are transporting an ECV). This will be their first visit ever so I want everything to be perfect (or close to it!)

I am looking into DVC rentals but I need to do more research before I feel comfortable doing it. I have a few friends who are DVC members so hopefully they cant point me in the right direction.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
I'm very anti off-site. I've never done it and don't plan to because it really takes away the magic for me. Also, I think the car rental to get from off-site to WDW would be a hassle (especially if we are transporting an ECV). This will be their first visit ever so I want everything to be perfect (or close to it!)

I am looking into DVC rentals but I need to do more research before I feel comfortable doing it. I have a few friends who are DVC members so hopefully they cant point me in the right direction.
I have always been against staying off site too, but Bonnet Creek IS on Disney Property right next to CBR, and it gets great reviews!! I had thought about staying there this time but I can't pass up the free dining so we are staying at our favorite resort, Riverside.

Since you have friends who are DVC members, they should be able to help you with renting points. That would be very helpful!!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Port Orleans French Quarter. It's a smaller resort and you get the benefits of it being a sister resort to Port Orleans Riverside.

Only downside is shared buses.

If not there, then Coronado Springs but that's really spread out. I'm just not a fan of Caribbean Beach.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post

Everyone talks about the shared buses between POR & POFQ but we were there for 2 trips in April & never shared. POR is our favorite resort & we always book preferred so we get AB & we are close to a quiet pool & the food court & bus depot.

Enjoy your stay!

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Well, you've got a year-ish to get comfortable with the idea honestly the first time is scary, but we are now on rental #4 and wouldn't do it any other way now.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:

Port Orleans French Quarter. It's a smaller resort and you get the benefits of it being a sister resort to Port Orleans Riverside.

If not there, then Coronado Springs but that's really spread out. I'm just not a fan of Caribbean Beach.
French Quarter for sure.... CSR, been there and won't ever go back, for elderly it's too spread out and terrible dining ....

Our last trip, May 2013, POFQ...we did not share buses...we enjoy taking the boat to and from POFQ just for an evening ride... Resort is so quiet and compact....easy to get around...

If you can swing deluxe, WL is a deluxe but way down on the rate scale and compact, themed to death, serene and in the MK area...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
disney-inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's My Favorite View Post
Everyone talks about the shared buses between POR & POFQ but we were there for 2 trips in April & never shared. POR is our favorite resort & we always book preferred so we get AB & we are close to a quiet pool & the food court & bus depot.

Enjoy your stay!
When we stayed in 2006 I never felt like the wait was very long.

Quote:

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside on our first trip and we loved it. The landscaping is gorgeous and we even rented a surrey (not doing that with my grandparents ) .

The carriage ride looks like something they would enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
French Quarter for sure.... CSR, been there and won't ever go back, for elderly it's too spread out and terrible dining ....

Our last trip, May 2013, POFQ...we did not share buses...we enjoy taking the boat to and from POFQ just for an evening ride... Resort is so quiet and compact....easy to get around...

If you can swing deluxe, WL is a deluxe but way down on the rate scale and compact, themed to death, serene and in the MK area...
I was thinking CSR because of the theme but if it's like that, then never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
Well, you've got a year-ish to get comfortable with the idea honestly the first time is scary, but we are now on rental #4 and wouldn't do it any other way now.
I have spoken with my DVC friends and one of them has used David's vacation club and it was very easy and clear cut. That makes me feel better. Also, that he allows you to pay through Paypal.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

I have used both a rental "company" (TTS) and private individuals. I've always purchased trip insurance, used contracts when renting from individuals, and never paid more than $12/point- which adds up to a decent savings vs using David's.

It all comes down to your personal comfort.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
tmbacon
Mouseketeer

We've often gone to WDW with my husband's parents (who are now both in their early 70's), and have stayed at all levels of hotels.

CSR is really spread out, as stated earlier. May be a challenge for mobility issues.

The Value resorts were definitely good for saving some money, but the ambiance was a little "much" for the grandparents. I guess they prefer a bit more subtlety like at the Deluxe or Mods.

POFQ was their favorite - they liked that it was manageable in size and loved being able to take the boat to DTD.

This last spring we rented David's DVC and I would highly recommend it. We stayed at Villas at Wilderness Lodge and thoroughly enjoyed our visit (especially being at least 40% off rack rate ). We would absolutely rent DVC points again.
Disney resorts: Animal Kingdom, Grand Floridian, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Port Orleans French Quarter (twice), Pop Century, Coronado Springs, Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, and a few off-site hotels too.
Did our FIRST Disney Cruise Spring Break 2010.

tmbacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: