DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #31
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyduck49 View Post
We must be the exception. We have never paid for extra towels and request them often. Same with shampoos, etc. We do try and catch the cleaning team.
The rules in place say you will. Obviously you're bypassing those rules, hopefully not intentionally. Some systems don't have charges for such issues but DVC does.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #32
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniethepooh2 View Post
That's the dilemma I face. I realize the cost is going to go up annually BUT 15 years from now (or anytime after my break even from upfront costs is realized) paying even $3,000 annually for a weeks stay seems like it would be worth it when you take into account that the hotel cost at that time would more than likely have increased also. Agree?
This was the way I viewed DVC when buying in. For ex., All Stars are priced at $155 per night rack rate in Oct., thats where we were staying until purchasing DVC. Best rate we ever got there, $50 per night, but circumstances were 9/11 had just happened, so travel was slim those days.

We knew the price for rooms would continue to rise, so buying in DVC got us bigger rooms, more amenities, and eventually we would reach a break even point.

As others have mentioned, your vacation habits will change. Ours did. No more up at crack of dawn, running around like wild people on a mission, coming in at night cranky and mad, tired, and doing all the same the next day. We now relax

Our 1st contract, $72 per pt, steep in those days, knowing many had bought in at low 50s. Next contract, $75, next, $81, last, $83. All were tough to swallow, but we have gotten so many great trips out of those pts.

Which brings me to now...knowing what I know as a member since 2001, I would have to go resale at the steep prices buying direct are. Buy where you want to stay for sure, and if VGF is where you want to be, thats got to be your personal decision, but if you looked at resale market(DIS sponsor, The Timeshare Store is one such resaler)you may see things in a different way, as prices are roughly half of what you are looking at now.
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #33
Dacky619
DIS Veteran

We've owned for a few years now and have no regrets up to now. As others have mentioned, it is best to use your points at Disney (when we don't use them we rent them and use that money elsewhere). You know exactly where you want to buy in and that's good, it is just too bad there aren't resale options. We bought into BLT when there were really no resale contracts (and those that were out there were almost the same price as direct) and it has worked out for us, but sometimes I still think about how much I could have saved buying resale at another resort.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #34
CPTJAK
Mouseketeer

One suggestion I would make is to purchase 200 points instead of 400. This would allow you to take your next trip on points by borrowing, verify you want to continue with DVC at Grand Floridian. Perhaps by the time you are ready to add more points you will want a different resort and/or be able to purchase Grand Floridian resale. Just a thought.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #35
Daisyduck49
Mouseketeer

Just to close on the extra towels/soap - we certainly aren't trying to go around the rules. If we see a mouse keeper and need an extra towel they have always been great. We are very mindful of the little things - turning off lights, checking out early or on time because we know how anxious the next family is to get their room. Clearly we all pay through our maint fees for the soap, towels, everything. We know not to expect the daily service - knew that when we bought. We do bring extras - hangers is the one that we always run short on .
Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #36
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Not sure we'd do anything different.
  • bought the minimal amount to get the most incentives.
  • financed, which we're more comfortable than depleting our bank account
  • bought strictly to save $$ on hotel rm - not to stay in a larger rm

We're not typical TS buyers (we don't own any others)
  • when we vacation elsewhere we don't stay more than 2 or 3 nights
  • WDW FL has been the only place that we're comfortable staying for a whole week
  • only 3 places we returned repeatedly and the others aren't worth more than a long weekend

We would like to buy in one more WDW FL area but we don't have the need to own every venue. Not a big flyer or driver - just don't like to sit in an airplane for hours on end - my time is worth more than the destination after 3 hours. When we drive to our destination our goal is to park with the next time we get into the car is for the ride home.

Long winded way to say DVC is relevant. It allows us the experience environments I won't travel to experience for real and I bet it's cleaner than those destinations.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
Old 06-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #37
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Just to close on the extra towels/soap - we certainly aren't trying to go around the rules. If we see a mouse keeper and need an extra towel they have always been great. We are very mindful of the little things - turning off lights, checking out early or on time because we know how anxious the next family is to get their room. Clearly we all pay through our maint fees for the soap, towels, everything. We know not to expect the daily service - knew that when we bought. We do bring extras - hangers is the one that we always run short on .
Not to nag, but you are going around the rules if you stop a housekeeper and ask for an extra towel. Of course they are great. They don't always understand the rules of DVC. All they know is they are supposed to fully clean or just provide trash and towel service to a specific villa.

All those "stop the housekeeper in the hallway" wind up adding extra costs for the members at that resort. If you need extra, call Housekeeping, ask for an extra towel pack and ask for it to be added to your bill.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #38
Daisyduck49
Mouseketeer

But you see you are nagging. Unbelievable
Old 06-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #39
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Perhaps she is just trying to make sure that you understand that you are circumventing the rules that have been put in place to keep dues down for all of us and wants to make sure you understand that.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #40
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
I'm sorry. Ask your forgiveness.

(And,thanks, crisi, for explaining for me.)

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #41
Daisyduck49
Mouseketeer

Thanks. None needed. I thought I had tried to explain with the earlier post. We have really enjoyed this board and all of the knowledgable members. We try very hard to be good stewards. My wife won't leave the room without making sure every light is out. Really meant to just say we have hard great experiences and on those occasions when we did forget something DVC and the cast members have been great. We certainly would never try to take advantage
Old 06-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #42
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Not to nag, but you are going around the rules if you stop a housekeeper and ask for an extra towel. Of course they are great. They don't always understand the rules of DVC. All they know is they are supposed to fully clean or just provide trash and towel service to a specific villa.

All those "stop the housekeeper in the hallway" wind up adding extra costs for the members at that resort. If you need extra, call Housekeeping, ask for an extra towel pack and ask for it to be added to your bill.
To a degree. However, I see this as a management training issue. DVC should be consistent, otherwise why have the fees in the first place (which I said from day 1 I thought were somewhat unreasonable). DVC and the resorts should find a way to track and charge consistently or not at all. It should not be up to the members to have to worry about it when they ask a person who's reasonable to ask (mousekeeping). You train them to let the member know there's a charge and track them or you train them to say no, call the front desk and you put a sign on the carts prohibiting people from simply taking items. Then it's on the members and those that then violate are truly at fault. Personally I think they should do away with the charges altogether and train the staff/management to say no when people are unreasonable.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #43
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Thanks. None needed. I thought I had tried to explain with the earlier post. We have really enjoyed this board and all of the knowledgable members. We try very hard to be good stewards. My wife won't leave the room without making sure every light is out. Really meant to just say we have hard great experiences and on those occasions when we did forget something DVC and the cast members have been great. We certainly would never try to take advantage
I am one of the few here who understand your logic and don't think you're working the system for your own selfish benefit to the detriment of those who follow the rules. (Or those who simply wash the towels!)

DW and I also follow the good stewardship model -- we don't drive drunk in school zones.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #44
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyduck49
Sorry, but you can say that you aren't trying to go around the rules all you like, but by asking the mousekeepers directly for extra supplies that is exactly what you are doing. It may not be your intent to circumvent the rules, but you need to understand that by "catching the mousekeepers" you are indeed circumventing the rules. Simply saying that you're not doesn't really change anything. So if you truly pride yourself on being a good steward and not taking advantage, perhaps you will choose a different method of procuring additional towels and toiletries?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #45
Daisyduck49
Mouseketeer

What are you the DVC police! Lol
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: