Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #31
Bluer101
Waiting till vacation comes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschaen View Post
We just completed our first visit to UOR. Planned 3.5 days and ended up buying ap's and going for 6. Can't wait to return! There is plenty to do and things you will want to repeat to be sure. You will not be bored!
Another family hooked!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #32
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation_junkie View Post
We are in the same situation kinda. We do Disney every year.. Stay onsite and run like a lunatic through each park.
Right now we have a split stay on the agenda for January. That's only because we feel like if we go to Orlando it's just not a trip if we don't visit Disney. I know that sounds silly.
My concern is that if we go with the Orlando flex pass and nix Disney that there won't be enough to keep us busy for 8 nights. I speculate universal , ioa, sea world are all 1day parks.. Or are they 2 day-ers for 1st time visitors?
I don't want to switch our usual busy disney routine and hear the dreaded I'm bored.
I can easily spend 5 days at the Universal Resort but 4 is enough. I feel rushed if we do less. I don't mean complete days necessarily either. We leave to dine or swim or shop.

SeaWorld can take more than one day. The park is big plus there is the waterpark.

We also like to spend at least one day doing something different in the Orlando area. There are a lot of things to see.

I'm like you though to where I think that we should spend at least some time at WDW. I really need at least two weeks to do it all.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #33
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I can easily spend 5 days at the Universal Resort but 4 is enough. I feel rushed if we do less. I don't mean complete days necessarily either. We leave to dine or swim or shop.

SeaWorld can take more than one day. The park is big plus there is the waterpark.

We also like to spend at least one day doing something different in the Orlando area. There are a lot of things to see.

I'm like you though to where I think that we should spend at least some time at WDW. I really need at least two weeks to do it all.
We always like to visit the flea markets and the outlet mall. I like the idea as well of not spending all day.. Every day in the park. We can leave , go shop.. Come back and enjoy some more .
Family Adventures Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cocoa Beach/Daytona/ Texas/ St Thomas USVI/ Cuba/ Belize/ Jamaica/ Bahamas/ St Maarten/ Cozumel/ Costa Maya/Puerto Vallarta/ Honduras /Dominican Republic / Cayman Islands & Many...MANY Disney Land trips & Most recently Sailed the Disney Magic[/FONT][/SIZE]
vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #34
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i know i posted that a newbie could do the parks in 3 days.

i need more than that and i'm a regular darkside goer.

i'll be there onsite for 11 days on my next trip.
it's such a relaxing atmosphere at the hotel, and amazing time in the parks, i could stay longer than what i have already booked.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #35
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I speculate universal , ioa, sea world are all 1day parks.. Or are they 2 day-ers for 1st time visitors?
I've been a first-time visitor to Universal, and I disagree. I've also been a second, third, and fourth-time visitor, and I still disagree. Our first visit was 4 park days and we left wanting...nay, needing, more. Came back inside a year. Upgraded to APs. Came back inside a year. Renewed our passes! Went back for a way too short visit. Going back in October then January. At minimum.

But I don't just "do" a park. I want to *experience* it. I want to re-re-re-ride. I want to sit on a bench and drink in the parks. I want to swim at my resort. Do some shopping (that is almost never said by me at Disney).

I've never been to Seaworld in Orlando, but in San Diego it's a two-day park for us. For my brother and his wife, it's a year-long thing; they get annual passes and sometimes head over there just at lunchtime. They love it there.

I can't imagine the Orlando version of SW is *less* than San Diego's version!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:30 AM   #36
MommaBearof4
Earning My Ears

It honestly depends if you are a park family. We always say that we are going to take it easy, not do full days at the parks, and we are always wrong. We never have enough time there. We always want to do more. Both Universal parks, we do a minimum of 4 days. Sea World, we usually do 2, but that's only because we usually stay onsite at Disney and Universal and it's easier to get to those parks. Do you like rides? Then the you will need more days. The Wizarding World is awesome, but it gets crowded quickly. You will need to stand in line or come back later in the day. Time is your friend at the parks. I always say, you can never have enough there.
MommaBearof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #37
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

Quote:

We are in the same situation kinda. We do Disney every year.. Stay onsite and run like a lunatic through each park.
Right now we have a split stay on the agenda for January. That's only because we feel like if we go to Orlando it's just not a trip if we don't visit Disney. I know that sounds silly.
My concern is that if we go with the Orlando flex pass and nix Disney that there won't be enough to keep us busy for 8 nights. I speculate universal , ioa, sea world are all 1day parks.. Or are they 2 day-ers for 1st time visitors?
I don't want to switch our usual busy disney routine and hear the dreaded I'm bored.
We have stayed a week at Universal and we were never bored.
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #38
chs27
Mouseketeer

You can upgrade to club level for about $100 more a night and the whole family will enjoy lots of food choices. This actually saves a lot on food during your visit.
chs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #39
glocon
DIS Veteran

Since you are staying at the RPR for 2 nights, you will have a vacation like you never have before. It is not like WDW, it is not like UO when staying offsite, it is unique and wonderful! The resorts are so deluxe and beautiful, and so close. The boats if you choose to use them to get to the parks are easy to access and a quick short ride to the parks. Or you can walk the pretty paths to the parks in a few short minutes. It is all so close and convenient.

And the biggies of early entry and unlimited express pass will give you a vacation like you have never imagined, because there is nothing else like it out there. You will feel so spoiled!

The hard part is once you have stayed onsite at UO once, you will want to do it again, and maybe split a stay with WDW. And that is expensive, to split stays between two theme parks (even though that is what we usually do-it just is too hard to be in Orlando and not do both for us).

I think you will have a great time and become one of us- families that love both the motherland and the darkside...
Old 07-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #40
MommaBearof4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwlovin'family View Post
We have been thinking about surprising the kids with a last minute trip to wdw in August. I was pricing things out today and was surprised to find out that a 5 night/4 day stay at the Royal Pacifica was $700 less than Pop Century -- this includes park tickets and dining plans in both packages.

But, I'm nervous. We had not considered UO until now because of height requirements, but that isn't an issue now. One of my children is still pretty sensitive and gets scared easily. I am worried that the the rides will be over whelming.

My husband is also disabled. He will be using a power chair for our visit. He can transfer out easily, but has issues will long distance walking and standing. WDW has always been good to us with his disability. Will getting from the resorts to the parks be an issue at Universal. One thing I dread at wdw is using the busses and waiting for handicap space on them.

We are intrigued by the unlimited express pass. How short does this pass really make the lines? Do you walk on most rides or does it just make it more manageable?

5 days 4 night really doesn't sound like a long time a wdw, but I am worried that it will be too long at Universal. What do you think? Will we get bored of the theme parks with that amount of time? I thought of splitting our time in between wdw and uo, but that sounds more stressful than we want it to be.

Would it be worth it to buy 1 annual pass to get the ap discounts? Is there a place to go to check out all the different discount scenarios? I can't find ap discounts on the universal website.

Lastly, the express pass is worth it, right? A offsite stay at the embassy suites would save us $1000 vs. disney.

I truly am a lover of Disney. I almost feel like a traitor going over to Universal, but maybe it's time for a change.

Oh, and I know it will be HOT. How long does it take to get to the parks from the Royal Pacifica? We will plan to go back to the room to cool off during the day.
We love staying onsite at Universal. It is soooo much easier to get to their parks than Disney's. Don't get me wrong, we love Disney, but being able to walk to and from your hotel in the time it takes to get to the disney bus stop or monorail is a huge plus.

The express pass is awesome. The only time we ever had to wait ( and we travel in August) was when we wanted to get on the front car at Dragon Challenge. That took about 10 mins, everything else was walk on. This August, we are travelling with family (2 different groups at different times) and they are only doing Disney. So for the ease of connecting with them we are just staying at Disney for the full 3 weeks, but we are doing Universal. Having stayed onsite at Universal our last 2 trips ( at the Hard Rock..love it) we can't go to Universal without the Express Pass, so we are opting to purchase it separately. The only rides it isn't accepted at are the Rip Ride Rocket( did it once, never again. It terrified me), the Forbidden Journey Ride in the Wizarding World ( this will be a long line, but so worth it, especially if you are Harry Potter fans) and Ollivander's ( the wand choosing experience) at the Wizarding World. There's a new Transformers ride, I'm not sure if you can use it on that one.

We are only doing 3 Universal days this trip, but I am worried that we will feel it hasn't been enough. We've always done a minimum if 4 full days and a couple of partial days before.

So, to summarize, an onsite stay at Universal is super convenient. The short trek back t the room makes midday breaks to cool off or get out if the rain super easy.

Th express pass is fantastic. I really wish Disney had an equivalent. We wouldn't do Universal without it. The rides are great. There are many with lots of different thrill levels. Ben and Jerry's ice cream at Universal Studios is a great place to take an afternoon break. It's quiet and air conditioned. We usually get ice cream for lunch. It is a vacation after all. Te water rides there are super wet and a great way to cool off and that express pass men's no wait.
MommaBearof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #41
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBearof4 View Post
We love staying onsite at Universal. It is soooo much easier to get to their parks than Disney's. Don't get me wrong, we love Disney, but being able to walk to and from your hotel in the time it takes to get to the disney bus stop or monorail is a huge plus.

The express pass is awesome. The only time we ever had to wait ( and we travel in August) was when we wanted to get on the front car at Dragon Challenge. That took about 10 mins, everything else was walk on. This August, we are travelling with family (2 different groups at different times) and they are only doing Disney. So for the ease of connecting with them we are just staying at Disney for the full 3 weeks, but we are doing Universal. Having stayed onsite at Universal our last 2 trips ( at the Hard Rock..love it) we can't go to Universal without the Express Pass, so we are opting to purchase it separately. The only rides it isn't accepted at are the Rip Ride Rocket( did it once, never again. It terrified me), the Forbidden Journey Ride in the Wizarding World ( this will be a long line, but so worth it, especially if you are Harry Potter fans) and Ollivander's ( the wand choosing experience) at the Wizarding World. There's a new Transformers ride, I'm not sure if you can use it on that one.

We are only doing 3 Universal days this trip, but I am worried that we will feel it hasn't been enough. We've always done a minimum if 4 full days and a couple of partial days before.

So, to summarize, an onsite stay at Universal is super convenient. The short trek back t the room makes midday breaks to cool off or get out if the rain super easy.

Th express pass is fantastic. I really wish Disney had an equivalent. We wouldn't do Universal without it. The rides are great. There are many with lots of different thrill levels. Ben and Jerry's ice cream at Universal Studios is a great place to take an afternoon break. It's quiet and air conditioned. We usually get ice cream for lunch. It is a vacation after all. Te water rides there are super wet and a great way to cool off and that express pass men's no wait.
Rip Ride Rocket now accepts express pass.

The ONLY rides that do not : Forbidden Journey, Ollivanders and Pteranodon Flyers.
The new Transformers also has express pass
Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #42
rschaen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri

Rip Ride Rocket now accepts express pass.

The ONLY rides that do not : Forbidden Journey, Ollivanders and Pteranodon Flyers.
The new Transformers also has express pass
EP line for RRR was still 30-45 mins when we were there in June. Ugh!
rschaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #43
goofyfigment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschaen

I was there last week and both days we rode rrr the standby line was only 10 minutes
1984 First Visit Off Site 1987 Off Site 1996 All Star Sports 1997 Howard Johnson Enchantedland 1998 The Spas @ Resort World 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH 2007 Sheraton Vistana Villages and HRH 2008 Parkway International and RPR 2009 All Star Sports 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas 2011 Club Seville 2011 All Star Sports 2012 Sheraton Vistana Resort and Windsor Hills 2012 Westgate Leisure Resort and POP 2013 Westgate Vacation Villas 2013 Birthday trip Royal Pacific 2013 Portofino Bay 2013 POP 2013 All Star Movies 2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas 2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Boardwalk Villas2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Bay Lake Towers2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas2014 Saratoga Springs
goofyfigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #44
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

Yes with the express pass with the hotel, you usually almost just walk right on the rides, at very very peak times, there maybe a bit of a wait, but probably not more than 10 minutes
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #45
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschaen View Post
Might have gone down due to technical issues and had a line when it came back up?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: