Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

We have stayed in both Deluxe and Moderates, and for my money it's the Mod's

Here are my thoughts on the Moderates.

CBR - Very spread out, 2 stories, no elevators, Super beautiful grounds, and great themed pool, with a hot tub very nice at the end of a long day, also quite pools which are nice to enjoy in the evening. This resorts does not share buses with other resorts, but there are several bus stops. Double sinks with counter space which is nice with 2 DD's, with a privacy curtain which is very practical, with girls. Food court is good, everyone should be able to find something to eat.

CSR - Again another very spread other resort, this is a convention hotel and for us does have that vibe, not as much Disney theming, Pool is nice but super crowded, not a lot of space, Rooms are nice, just not Disney themed. this for us was the most spread out and hard to get around. This resorts does not share buses with other resorts, Food court for us was awful, not only do you have to compete with other vacationers, you have convention people to deal with and they just will run all over you, also the food choice weren't to our liking.

POFQ - This is a very compact resort, nice pool, really nice grounds and theming, Rooms, 2 sinks with counter space, privacy curtain, only 1 bus stop, most of the time does not share buses with POR, depending on the time of the year something you will, Great food court, also walking distance to POR, so you can use there pool and food court as well about a 10 min. walk along the river. Boat transportation to DTD.

POR - We have not stayed here but used the pool and food court, both are very nice, and the food court has really great salads. Boat to DTD, and at times does share buses with POFQ.

I think your DD's will be happy where ever you stay. Enjoy your trip.
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

I'd vote for sticking with BC, particularly because you've been staying deluxe lately. We've stayed in all three categories of resorts over many years (including BC, YC and mods like POFQ, CBR and CSR) but primarily deluxe with kids. I've loved every trip and different resorts have been a good fit at different stages of life and under different circumstances.

Last year, my husband didn't join us for one trip, so we tried POFQ. It was peak holiday season and I just felt the cost of BC/YC wasn't a great value at the time. So we did a split stay - POFQ for a few nights and then YC when the discounts kicked in. At that point, it had been eight or so years since we stayed in a mod and we've been visiting an average of twice/year, so I knew it would be an adjustment to return to a mod. Now, I'd probably rank POFQ among my favorite mods - it was great for a mod - really great. But wow - we were THRILLED to arrive at YC. The location, transportation options, grounds, interior corridors, pool area, balcony and overall atmosphere at a deluxe just can't be beat. The resort is a big part of our WDW trips - not just a place to sleep - so it felt like a different vacation once we arrived at YC.

We've decided that we'll only stay in a mod again if we return during peak holiday season, and even then we might do a shorter stay at a deluxe instead of a longer stay at a mod.

If you do decide to switch to a mod, I'd recommend POFQ and realistic expectations. Realistic expectations really helped us enjoy our time there. Before our stay, I had read several reports from posters who felt POFQ was similar to a deluxe. I wasn't sure about that, so we went in expecting that POFQ would be fun to try, good for the bucket list, and a good value under the circumstances - and it met those expectations. CMs were particularly friendly there, we loved the small size, great theming and it was a pretty non-chaotic food court, which I really appreciated. If we expected it to be similar to a deluxe, however, that may have caused some disappointment.

Good luck with your decision and happy planning!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
cdhale
Mouseketeer

Again, thanks for all the great advice everyone! After lots of thought and talking to my DDs, we are going to make the switch to POFQ. This was a somewhat last minute trip, and really should have been a "budget" trip to begin with. The resort looks lovely and I think we'll have a good time there. We plan to go back in 2015 right before DS turns 3 for his first trip, and then I'm sure we'll return to our favorite... POLY!

Cheryl

Nov 14 ~ Poly * Sept 13 ~ POFQ * Jan 11 ~ Poly * Jan 10 ~ Poly * Jan 09 ~ WL * Feb 02 ~ DTD * Mar 97 ~ CBR * Mar 89 ~ off site

cdhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #19
cdhale
Mouseketeer

Ha ha, now I have to change my ticker!

Nov 14 ~ Poly * Sept 13 ~ POFQ * Jan 11 ~ Poly * Jan 10 ~ Poly * Jan 09 ~ WL * Feb 02 ~ DTD * Mar 97 ~ CBR * Mar 89 ~ off site

cdhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

You made a good choice. I loved my experience at POFQ. We got upgraded to river view and it was beautiful. I would request building 5 as it is close to pool, main building, and boat dock. I am staying at poly for first time this year but am going back to POFQ next March with the kids. They love the pool there and I loved its charming little courtyards and cobble stone roads. For the money i save by staying there i can take more trips. Plus the walk to POR is really beautiful and worth visiting.
I have tried CSR and POR and POFQ still remains my favorite because of small size and convenience. Do take the boat to DTD it is really nice and go have Guirelldi's ice cream Sunday.
Have a great trip
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: