Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #91
Wonder2008
Mouseketeer

My sister and I were at Disneyland last in June 2009, so I'm not sure how much of this still applies.

One thing you may want to try is to visit a particular restaurant the day before you want to eat there (this may not be an option for everyone) and get some information from a manager. For instance, I remember eating dinner at the Plaza Inn the day before we had a reservation for their character breakfast. We were speaking with a chef who was helping us with our dinner, and mentioned our breakfast there the following day. We double-checked on gluten-free pancakes and/or waffles and to make sure they can be done dairy-free for my sister. My sister asked about hash browns as well. The chef said they contain dairy but she can let the manager/chef know to make a special batch for my sister. Well, upon arriving the next morning for breakfast, we told the greeter about our allergies (it was on the reservation). A little bit later, the chef came to us and said something like "are you the ones with the special hash browns?"

I understand that communication isn't always that perfect, but I think you should never be afraid to ask for something. The worst they can do is say "no".

I hope that helps! I'm sort of hoping we'll be able to go to Disneyland during the holidays this year, so this thread is very helpful. If anyone writes trip reports with allergies, please link them here. Also, yes, keep the allergy information sheets available. As it has already been said, they give at least an idea of where to think about eating.

Robert
Wonder2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #92
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone.

I am traveling to DL with my 2 DD's both of whom have celiac. We've been to DL many times but this is the first time there since the diagnosis.

I am sad to hear that the lists are gone although I do understand why. I just liked them to have an idea of what is available.

Does anyone know if what they had on the lists is still approximately what they still have that can be prepared gluten free? I guess I don't want to stand in the long food lines only to be told they can't do anything for us.

Anyone been recently that could give me an idea of where is a good place to eat for teenagers who don't like gluten free bread? Ya, I know that knocks out a lot because it means no hamburger buns, etc but they just don't like them. Interestingly enough - gluten free pizza crusts usually are okay to them. Go figure. Actually I think its because they are thinner then a bun and are crunchy...totally different texture.

Thanks!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
kindakrazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #93
SMD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindakrazy2 View Post

Anyone been recently that could give me an idea of where is a good place to eat for teenagers who don't like gluten free bread? Ya, I know that knocks out a lot because it means no hamburger buns, etc but they just don't like them. Interestingly enough - gluten free pizza crusts usually are okay to them. Go figure. Actually I think its because they are thinner then a bun and are crunchy...totally different texture.
For counter service, Rancho del Zocalo or Cucina Cucamonga. Lucky Fortune, but I've heard the GF option is just yuzu sauce, which may or may not be appealing. Harbour Galley has baked potatoes with toppings (used to be at Troubadour Tavern, not sure if those will move back now that it's reopened) or get the soup there, or at Pacific Wharf Cafe and ask for it without the bread bowl. Or there's the old standbys, a salad or burger without the bun.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #94
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Hi everyone.

I am traveling to DL with my 2 DD's both of whom have celiac. We've been to DL many times but this is the first time there since the diagnosis.

I am sad to hear that the lists are gone although I do understand why. I just liked them to have an idea of what is available.

Does anyone know if what they had on the lists is still approximately what they still have that can be prepared gluten free? I guess I don't want to stand in the long food lines only to be told they can't do anything for us.

Thanks!
When I was there a month or so ago, they offered much of the same GF food as is on the old lists. Chefs at the table service places were happy to offer more choices.

We have had GF pizza at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta in DCA. I do not know if it is offered everyday, but they made GF pizza, GF breadsticks, and even GF pita bread. Please note we went during a slow period in between the lunch and dinner rush, so the chefs had lots of time to work with us. But I do know it has been done in the past.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #95
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
For counter service, Rancho del Zocalo or Cucina Cucamonga. Lucky Fortune, but I've heard the GF option is just yuzu sauce, which may or may not be appealing. Harbour Galley has baked potatoes with toppings (used to be at Troubadour Tavern, not sure if those will move back now that it's reopened) or get the soup there, or at Pacific Wharf Cafe and ask for it without the bread bowl. Or there's the old standbys, a salad or burger without the bun.
Wonderful! Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
When I was there a month or so ago, they offered much of the same GF food as is on the old lists. Chefs at the table service places were happy to offer more choices.

We have had GF pizza at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta in DCA. I do not know if it is offered everyday, but they made GF pizza, GF breadsticks, and even GF pita bread. Please note we went during a slow period in between the lunch and dinner rush, so the chefs had lots of time to work with us. But I do know it has been done in the past.
Ooohhh....good to know. Thanks for that idea of eating slightly off the traditional meal schedule. Thats a great idea.

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 05-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #96
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:

Ooohhh....good to know. Thanks for that idea of eating slightly off the traditional meal schedule. Thats a great idea.
Yes, we have found it much easier on everyone if we eat during non-traditional meal times. Easier on me, because I don't mind taking up the CMs time, easier for them to arrange something, an easier on the kids in my party who are GF, since they can ask questions and get something they really want. This mainly applies to counter service. We also avoid the long lines, which are not my favorite things anyway! I hope you have a great trip!

P.S. I left up the GF sheets in the first post so that people have some kind of starting knowledge about what may be available. If I start hearing that things have significantly changed, maybe I will take them down. But to my knowledge, much of what is on the sheets is still available and GF. However, that list is not exhaustive, and there may be modifications available upon request that are not on the sheets. HTH!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #97
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, we have found it much easier on everyone if we eat during non-traditional meal times. Easier on me, because I don't mind taking up the CMs time, easier for them to arrange something, an easier on the kids in my party who are GF, since they can ask questions and get something they really want. This mainly applies to counter service. We also avoid the long lines, which are not my favorite things anyway! I hope you have a great trip!

P.S. I left up the GF sheets in the first post so that people have some kind of starting knowledge about what may be available. If I start hearing that things have significantly changed, maybe I will take them down. But to my knowledge, much of what is on the sheets is still available and GF. However, that list is not exhaustive, and there may be modifications available upon request that are not on the sheets. HTH!

Thanks Archowl - I appreciate it. The sheets are wonderful to at least give me an idea of what may be available or at least what places seem to be a good place to try for the best variety. I appreciate you keeping this thread going.

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

Old 06-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #98
crowdie
Earning My Ears

thank you for the updates!

I am newly GF, and instantly wanted to check out the DLR options. My son would be crushed if we had to eliminate Award Weiners! Thank you so much for the scans of the lists. I'll be sure to update after our next trip in September!
crowdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #99
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdie View Post
I am newly GF, and instantly wanted to check out the DLR options. My son would be crushed if we had to eliminate Award Weiners! Thank you so much for the scans of the lists. I'll be sure to update after our next trip in September!
Welcome! Just so you know, Disneyland no longer gives out the sheets for GF dining. They will tell you to check with the CMs at the restaurant where you would like to eat. So
please double check before you order to make sure what you want is GF. We are leaving the sheets up on this thread as a guide, and to my knowledge, most of what is listed is still GF.

I hope this thread does help you somewhat and you have a great GF visit to Disneyland!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #100
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

My best friend and I were back at Disneyland last week, and I just love eating gluten free there! Everyone was super helpful at Taste Pilot's, Tomorrowland Terrace (I think? The place they do the JTA), and Flo's V8 (this was my fave - the CocaCola BBQ sauce was gf and delicious and you could get it with any meat, and the mashed potatoes had a great flavor even without gravy).

EDIT: The one thing that surprised me was that they don't do the allergy free chicken tenders at DL. I would think since they have them basically everywhere at WDW they would have them here. I was really looking forward to having those again, and was a bit disappointed they didn't have them.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #101
frank430316
Mouseketeer

We went last month and had a wonderful gluten-free time at both DL and CA. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and were just blown away. We ate at both Goofy's Kitchen and Tangaroa Terrace and everyone was very helpful. I had ordered a special gift basket, and they really went out of their way to make sure it was gluten-free. Trader Sam's however was a disappointment. When we asked if a particular drink or entre was gluten-free, this was the only place that answered that they didn't know. They offered to look through the ingredients, but did not seem to know what they were looking for. Definitely a fun place to visit, but I would not order anything more exotic than a Coke.

frank430316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #102
Speechphi
Mouseketeer

Just got back from our DLR trip last week & had the most amazing experience with dd7, newly diagnosed celiac.

It was on our reservations for character meals, so the chef came out & made her waffles or pancakes, and at Minnie's (I think) they made her bacon & sausages too, since they use bread to absorb the grease in the pan.

We got spaghetti in DCA for her with ease, a hot dog at Whitewater Snacks with no problem. Cafe Orleans provided GF pasta with her meal & offered to confirm with the chef that her meal was GF (it was). And the best experience was at French Market: dd wanted a Caesar salad. The CM at the counter was sure if the dressing was GF, so she grabbed the mgr. he confirmed it wasn't & offered Italian, but said he was going to talk to the chef for us (honestly, dd would've been fine with Italian; she just wanted the chicken, parm, & lettuce). The chef came out to see me & said the were making a GF Caesar dressing from scratch for dd!

I did use both the menu database & the sheets on here as guide, but overall had a great experience! Dd was just diagnosed in May, so we're newbies. But it made our vacation so much more relaxing when I knew we could feed dd without too much stress. To the point that dh even said we should just vacation at DLR from now on because it was so easy to keep dd GF

countless trips to Disneyland growing up...1977, 1979, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000

trips with DH , DS 9 , DD 8 , & DD 6
6/2010 Desert Inn & Suites , 11/2011 Portofino, 6/2013 Fairfield Inn, 6/2014 PPH, 12/2014 PPH
Speechphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #103
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Thanks Speechphi. Taking my celiac kids in August and didn't know about the bread in the bacon pan. So big thank you for that warning!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

Old 06-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #104
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Thank you for the update! It is a good reminder to ask for GF options as chefs will often offer options not on the sheets. I am glad you had such a good experience!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #105
BruinEd03
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Welcome! Just so you know, Disneyland no longer gives out the sheets for GF dining. They will tell you to check with the CMs at the restaurant where you would like to eat. So
please double check before you order to make sure what you want is GF. We are leaving the sheets up on this thread as a guide, and to my knowledge, most of what is listed is still GF.

I hope this thread does help you somewhat and you have a great GF visit to Disneyland!
FYI, I know that the chamber of commerce at DCA had the list as of a few months ago. I'm not sure if that is still the case or not as we have not asked for it recently.
BruinEd03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: