Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
NickyKnack
DIS Veteran

Concierge on the Magic

Is there any point to concierge on the classic ships? Without the lounge, and the private deck... what's the point of it? Not trashing - honestly just don't get it. I get it on the new ships.
NickyKnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
barbja99
Mouseketeer

Personally, I did it for the gigantic cabin.

New or classic, if you want 1br or larger, you're going concierge.

Disney Wonder: Alaska, July 2013
barbja99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

We've sailed concierge on the Magic twice and the Dream once. Personally, we got more out of the concierge on the Magic because there was no lounge. There's no designated spot to go find the concierge team (aside from the receptions) so the concierge comes to you. We found we got to know our concierge better and our concierge got to know us better on the Magic as a result. All the thoughtful little things that magically appeared or happened for us on the Magic made those 2 sailings completely incredible. I totally attribute that to the more personal one-on-one experiences we had with our concierge. We had a good time and enjoyted the concierge offerings on the Dream but it was far less of an overall impact than what we experienced on the Magic. The private sundeck is a moot point because I'm not laying around in the sun with or without that space. Personally, if I wanted our best shot at a cabana because we aren't yet platinum, that would pretty much be the only reason I would book concierge on the new ships again. Everything else isn't enough to me to justify the extra cost. That's just our thoughts and experience, tho.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
nxb
Earning My Ears

As noted earlier, on the Magic you get concierge service on Cat 3 or better staterooms.

We've been very pleased with the personal attention in sorting out issues with excursions and Palo reservations and there are other benefits such as being able to have meals from the restaurant menus delivered to your room.
nxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
posey74
Earning My Ears

I have only done concierge on the Magic but I loved it. Having a larger cabin was the biggest thing for us but being able to have one person fix everything and getting priority treatment for check in and boarding was nice. The daily treats to the room and game cards were nice as well as surprise tickets to the tea with Alice which we didn't even know about. We have an upcoming Magic sailing and booked concierge again, when I booked there was no main dining seating left, I emailed concierge services and immediately got changed to main seating. Things like that are very nice.

We have considered sailing on the new ships but the price for concierge is just crazy to me. It seems affordable on the older ships in comparison.
posey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
NickyKnack
DIS Veteran

Just goes to show how different things can appeal to different folks.
I'll love having the lounge to chill out on - it will save me from having to the drink station every time we want something to drink, the snacks sound to be of a better quality then I can get on the pool decks, and I love laying out in the sun and prefer to do it with some amount of peace & quite.
Having that less crowded area to retreat to will be a god send for me among the chaos of a ship with twice the passenger load.

On the other hand I don't see the point in paying concierge prices for a bigger cabin (I get the draw for families, but there's only two of us.) and I'm truly hesitant to pay the price in the hope that "maybe" some pixie dust might come my way because of a relationship that I may or may not develop with staff. I prefer to know what I'm paying for in a concrete way, then be pleasantly surprised if I get better.

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it so much though - and very happy for you that you got that magical treatment. As I said, I'm just hesitant to pay big bucks for maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
We've sailed concierge on the Magic twice and the Dream once. Personally, we got more out of the concierge on the Magic because there was no lounge. There's no designated spot to go find the concierge team (aside from the receptions) so the concierge comes to you. We found we got to know our concierge better and our concierge got to know us better on the Magic as a result. All the thoughtful little things that magically appeared or happened for us on the Magic made those 2 sailings completely incredible. I totally attribute that to the more personal one-on-one experiences we had with our concierge. We had a good time and enjoyted the concierge offerings on the Dream but it was far less of an overall impact than what we experienced on the Magic. The private sundeck is a moot point because I'm not laying around in the sun with or without that space. Personally, if I wanted our best shot at a cabana because we aren't yet platinum, that would pretty much be the only reason I would book concierge on the new ships again. Everything else isn't enough to me to justify the extra cost. That's just our thoughts and experience, tho.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
NickyKnack
DIS Veteran

I just realized that I wasn't clear enough in my original question. That's what I get for posting before coffee. How do you feel about concierge on the classic ships for shorter trips (4 day).
Old 06-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
lah3hh
DIS Veteran

I love this thread today especially since I just booked my first ever concierge level 1 bedroom cabin on the Disney Wonder. My sailing is not until October 2014 so I am hoping to read some good to know comments here!

2014 Vacation Plans:

March Las Vegas - RCI/DVC trade into a Hilton Grand Vacation Resort (This was awesome and truly loved the location along the strip!)

May/June WDW Beach Club 3 nights then on to 6 nights at Disney's Hilton Head Resort and then back to AKV for 3 additional nights

October DCL Wonder 5 night double dip followed by 7 nights at SSR

[B]That should be enough vacation time for the year I hope!!
lah3hh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: