Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
opal6779
Earning My Ears

Pirate rooms at CBR

Has anyone stayed in these rooms? Wondering how the beds are and if we will be able to get adjoining rooms? Is there a small pool in this area of the resort? Is the closest drink refill station all the way back at the food court? Thx in advance....
Old 06-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

According to the podcast review, the beds are just a mattress on a board, not a mattress on box springs.

Can't answer the other questions for you, but I'm sure some other posters will have those answers for you.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
opal6779
Earning My Ears

That doesn't sound comfortable? Thank you for the info!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
VeronicaB
Mouseketeer

We had a pirate room at CBR last year and it wasn't bad at all. I was dreading the beds because I had read on here how awful they were, how small, how hard, etc. I don't know if we were so tired from running around the parks all day that we just didn't notice or that we just didn't care and were just happy to be in Disney but we weren't bothered by the beds. The drink refill station is at Old Port Royale or Center Town, it's a 5 minute walk from the pirate rooms. We walked the path many times because the kids loved the main pool. Again, we weren't bothered by the walk or distance. There's an internal bus if you don't want to walk or you can drive your car if you have one.

Me (Disney crazed woman) DH (Just along for the ride) DS 6 DD 2
VeronicaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Phelia325
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronicaB View Post
We had a pirate room at CBR last year and it wasn't bad at all. I was dreading the beds because I had read on here how awful they were, how small, how hard, etc. I don't know if we were so tired from running around the parks all day that we just didn't notice or that we just didn't care and were just happy to be in Disney but we weren't bothered by the beds. The drink refill station is at Old Port Royale or Center Town, it's a 5 minute walk from the pirate rooms. We walked the path many times because the kids loved the main pool. Again, we weren't bothered by the walk or distance. There's an internal bus if you don't want to walk or you can drive your car if you have one.
The rooms are cute but I think they are in the furthest building, which makes for a long walk. I recall reading that that building was always hard to fill because of location, so they turned them into pirate rooms to increase the appeal.
Phelia325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by opal6779 View Post
That doesn't sound comfortable? Thank you for the info!
Some people love them. Others don't. Everyone has different spines. The mattress is not very thick, and there's no room for a boxspring because of the pirate ship frame. I remember DH loving it. I wasn't the biggest fan. DS just loved the room and the mattress didn't matter.

They are VERY narrow beds, though!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Our Pirate room was looking out at POP Century buildings, Bldg 39. We were at the farthest point possible from the main hub. We were only staying one night but I've been in this building before and it's was long walk to the main hub. I do not know if all Pirate rooms are located together. Again one night after a long drive plus a run to airport, I could have slept on a rock so not sure about comfort. Quiet pool was a couple buildings away so not too far.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 7x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 14x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
opal6779
Earning My Ears

These are the only rooms at all that they could offer us with my free dining pin in the moderate category and the more I read about them the less I want to stay here. We have a two room reservation too. It's not a deal breaker I guess that we must get different rooms, I'd rather be in Disney than not, but I really really hope we can get into different rooms before our trip :-(
Old 06-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

It's not my favorite but if you get Free Dining .... that is a huge plus! What I would do is the closer you get to your 45 day mark, start calling often and check. Folks that have to cancel their reservation in your time frame will have to do so by then to get their money back.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 7x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 14x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
USCAnna
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by opal6779 View Post
Has anyone stayed in these rooms? Wondering how the beds are and if we will be able to get adjoining rooms? Is there a small pool in this area of the resort? Is the closest drink refill station all the way back at the food court? Thx in advance....
My family of four (my kids were 7 and 4 at the time) stayed in a pirate room at CBR in August 2011. All of the rooms (or at least at that time) were in the North Trinidad buildings. It was the last stop to pick up and drop off for bus transportation, which was sort of nice in a way. I found the rooms to be nice and did not have a problem with the mattresses at all. It isn't too far from the main areas and pool, but we don't mind walking and actually prefer a little more privacy anyway. There was a smaller pool area in that area too.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

We stayed in a pirate room last may and loved it.

Beds were fine not any better or worst than regular hotel beds.

Refill station at main house. I sent my DH in the morning for coffee and my diet coke.

Most importantly my DS6 loved everything about the room. Tons of great pictures.

For a boy who lives pirates it was well worth it.

Enjoy!
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

We didn't have an issue with the beds, but they are doubles--just know that ahead of time, so you're not surprised (only mod w/double beds).

The pirate rooms are in Trinidad South, which we honestly found really far from everything. However, there is a bus stop nearby, and a quiet pool, so you don't *have* to hoof it all the way to Old Port Royale to swim.

We thought the transportation took a long time since there were so many stops at the resort, but the pirate rooms themselves were really nice and my two boys really liked them.

WDW: Wilderness Lodge 2011 | Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk Inn CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 | Polynesian CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge CL 2013

DLR: Candy Cane Inn 2013 | Candy Cane Inn, Grand Californian 2014
mirage0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
Kes
Mouseketeer

We've stayed in the pirate rooms at CBR a few times now. I actually found the beds more comfortable than the regular rooms. They are doubles so they are smaller than the full size we have at home, but I found that without the box spring, the mattresses offered more support. I have a bad back and like a firm mattress anyway. I thought the pirate beds didn't have that "dip" in the middle the way the beds with the box springs do.

We also never found the walk to be too long to anything. In less than a 10 minute stroll, 5 minutes at a more brisk pace like we'd normally walk, we were at Old Port Royale. And that was in August with the hot temps and high humidity. Heading back there again this summer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: