Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
This is what I meant generally.

And if the meals are the same, is the presentation the same?

If it is that is amazing kitchen work.

I have only sailed out of the east coast.
On any cruise there may be variations of what is actually plated. This is due to prices and availability of specific items. The biggest differences we've ever noticed is that the veggies that are plated with the meat may be different than what has been described on the menu.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
So considering the potential different sources of food from one cruise originating in PC/USA, to the other sources, originating elsewhere, the question arises in my mind, has anyone that has done both itineraries within a close time frame, noticed a difference in the food?

It appears ships out of PC have a supplier. The ship out of Barcelona has another. I'm sure the ship out of Puerto Rico has another. Are all the dinners the same in the Med and Southern? I'll guess they are knowing DCL. lol

So has anyone noticed a difference one way or the other, regarding the meals, on this side of the pond, or the other?

Which are better? East, West, or Southern? lol.

It's an interesting angle I never gave any thought to prior to this thread.

TIA
When we did the Baltics cruise in 2010 we were talking with one of the chefs and he was very impressed with the quality of the cheese being used on board for those cruises. He told us to make sure we tried the pizza from Pinocchio's since the cheese was so good. He was right, that's been the best pizza from there on any cruise we've done in 14 years.
He also told us the fruits were much better on the European cruises than the ones sailing out of the US. But also mentioned, the better quality also came with a higher price tag for all food products bought in Europe.

They did have Krispy Kreme donuts on those sailings since they have many, many locations outside the US.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #18
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsters41 View Post
This is what stood out to me the most... As an American living these past 20 years in Europe, I was kinda hoping for American specialty foods, like Krispy Kremes, Rice Krispie treats, anything peanut butter, anything (even resembling) maple syrup, marshmallows, corn dogs... etc. Can anyone who has done the Med cruises let us know if any of these kinds of things are available on board?
I'm on the Magic right now (last full day of cruise -- *sniff*). Any fresh foods appear to be locally-sourced (dairy products, fruits, vegetables). The donuts don't appear to be Krispy Kreme to me, but I haven't tasted the ones on the ship so I can't compare. We did get Rice Krispie treats at the Gold/Platinum Castaway Club reception. Topsiders breakfast buffet does have the individual packets of Smuckers Peanut Butter. Those are shelf stable and I'm guessing probably were stored while in the states. I've never seen real maple syrup on the ships, but the buffet has the fakey stuff available. I don't recall seeing marshmallows on their own on any sailing. Corn dogs aren't available at Pluto's, but I don't know if they are perhaps on the kids dinner menus.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
Have they every used maple syrup on the cruises? I though they supplied corn syrup but no maple syrup?
Sadly, no, there is no REAL maple syrup on any of the ships.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
liberty6201
Mouseketeer

Did they have mickey bars on the med cruises? Last time we did the med they didn't have the and since that trip my boys have been calling chocolate lollies on stocks 'Donald duck beak lollies' bc that's what the servers called them
liberty6201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty6201 View Post
Did they have mickey bars on the med cruises? Last time we did the med they didn't have the and since that trip my boys have been calling chocolate lollies on stocks 'Donald duck beak lollies' bc that's what the servers called them
During previous years, they did have Mickey Bars at the beginning of the season. At some point they used them all up and had to start serving regular ice cream bars acquired in Europe.

On our WBTA in 2010, we didn't have Mickey bars until we got back to the Caribbean (where they could re-supply with a Disney provider).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the answers, I hope I did not hijack the thread. I am resigning myself to the fact that being on the last cruise of the season that I will not have anything from America, but instead have chocolate croissants, etc, which I grew sick of years ago! The grass is always greener on the other side of the pond!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #23
Stimpy
Is a WONDERFUL Mommy! The TF says so, so it must be true!

Quote:
Our servers called them European Mickey bars on the Baltic...we've been calling them that ever since

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #24
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

The Galley!

Did I win?

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder, Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #25
slindamood
DIS Veteran

On our WBTA several years ago, the biggest difference was the quality of cheese (already noted) and the abundance of fresh berries. Bowls of raspberries and blackberries at Topsiders each morning for the first part of the cruise. Then, berry cobblers appeared, followed by a few days of no berries at all.

At that time they bought local produce. We enjoyed watching all of the food being loaded, as the earlier photo shows. The main complaint then was the quality of the pancakes. The supplier in Europe provided a mix more like cake mix and the pancakes were strange. I assume they use U.S. mixes now.
November 2007 Thanksgiving Wonder
August 2007 Westbound Transatlantic Magic
November 2005 Thanksgiving Wonder
December 2002 pre-Christmas Magic
December 2001 Christmas Magic
DVC member since 1998 - BoardWalk Villas
slindamood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #26
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They won't have them as they only have two suppliers for them one in florida and one in California, and flying them over to europe isn't a feasible option.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #27
nxb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Yes they did have Mickey Bars on the June 15 Med cruise. We asked for them for dessert in the main restaurants after dinner and they appeared.

Talking to the Palo chef, we gathered that they do get a lot of their ingredients from their US based suppliers. For instance, he said the lamb they served at Palo came from their usual Colorado supplier.

Fresh ingredients are picked up locally apparently. As a case in point, the small milk cartons they offer at Topsiders are from Europe.
nxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #28
tea for girls
Mouseketeer

When we traveled on the 2010 WBTA the food was its normal Disney quality. We did notice some small differences- things like European yogurt. The only two negatives were my daughters missed the Mickey ice cream bars and there wasn't any lobster on that trip-both items had been highly anticipated during our 14 day cruise.
tea for girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #29
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxb View Post
Yes they did have Mickey Bars on the June 15 Med cruise. We asked for them for dessert in the main restaurants after dinner and they appeared.

Talking to the Palo chef, we gathered that they do get a lot of their ingredients from their US based suppliers. For instance, he said the lamb they served at Palo came from their usual Colorado supplier.

Fresh ingredients are picked up locally apparently. As a case in point, the small milk cartons they offer at Topsiders are from Europe.
not all things can be transported as easily as others. Just because they can get meats from the same supplier doesn't mean they can get Mickey Bars. If not having Mickey Bars on your cruise will "ruin your vacation" then just be careful with the med cruises later in the summer when the stocks they have on board from the TA run out.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #30
heatherbelle
DIS Veteran

The ice cream bars in Europe are far nicer than the US. But being a Brit I would say that. American Mickey bars have plain chocolate on them and are not very sweet. Most Europe choc ice types of ice cream have milk chocolate on them.
Onshore look out for snicker ice cream bars, those are very nice.

If anyone gets chance when you are in Spain look out for melon ice lollies you guys might call them ices, they are delicious.
2005 - WDW -Off site LBV, 2006 WDW Regal Palms, 2007 - WDW Regal Palms, 2008 - Disney Old Key West, 2009 - Disneyland LA/SD, 2010 Yacht Club, 2011 Med Disney Cruise. 2012 Yacht Club again! 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med, 2014- Carnival Breeze & Yacht Club .
heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: