Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #1561
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDry View Post

Yes, I'm sure. I've read the same things you have. I have no idea why so many people talk about the need for bringing cash for room service tips. I suspect that some people just like the notion of having some problem that they can make a big production over. "How many $1's and $5's do I need????" and "I guess I'll make a special trip to the bank!" and so on. Just sign the room service tip to your room (even if it's a $0 ticket plus tip) and be done with it. You don't need cash for ANYTHING on board. And yes that's a period at the end of that sentence.
Thank you so much for this info. I always want to order room service but I never remember to bring ones with me. A couple 5s if I'm lucky. So glad I can just charge a tip to the room.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #1562
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure. I've read the same things you have. I have no idea why so many people talk about the need for bringing cash for room service tips. I suspect that some people just like the notion of having some problem that they can make a big production over. "How many $1's and $5's do I need????" and "I guess I'll make a special trip to the bank!" and so on. Just sign the room service tip to your room (even if it's a $0 ticket plus tip) and be done with it. You don't need cash for ANYTHING on board. And yes that's a period at the end of that sentence.
How rude!! You don't need to do ANYTHING that is written here. These are but shared ideas that people have found to work for them. To then belittle and criticize ideas made by people who are responding to requests for suggestions is unacceptable and unnecessary. If you wanted to just say you find something unnecessary, fine -- but you didn't have to do so in this manner. Shame on you.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #1563
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Fwiw, we pay room service tips in cash because it makes it easier to check our bill at the end of the cruise. We tend to order at least once a day, so for a 7-day cruise it can add a lot of charges to sort through on the last night. It just makes it easier for us
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #1564
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post

How rude!! You don't need to do ANYTHING that is written here. These are but shared ideas that people have found to work for them. To then belittle and criticize ideas made by people who are responding to requests for suggestions is unacceptable and unnecessary. If you wanted to just say you find something unnecessary, fine -- but you didn't have to do so in this manner. Shame on you.
Aren't you doing the same thing with this post? Belittling and criticizing?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #1565
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

We bring ones and fives to tip room service. If you add the tip to the receipt it is pooled amongst the room service team including the CMs who answer the phone. Cash tips go to the CM who puts together your tray and delivers it.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #1566
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
We bring ones and fives to tip room service. If you add the tip to the receipt it is pooled amongst the room service team including the CMs who answer the phone. Cash tips go to the CM who puts together your tray and delivers it.
Hmmm....a valid point. Although, we order at least once or twice per day. I don't want to deal with having that many singles around. It's easier for me to put it on the receipt.

It's also worth noting for first timers that there is no ATM on board. While you don't need cash on the ship, we have used American dollars to pay for tours, taxis, etc in Mexico, Cayman, Canada and elsewhere. Last cruise, out of Galveston, I completely forgot to get cash before getting on the ship. Luckily, I had my checkbook and was able to write a personal check for $200 and guest services cashed it. But that is the limit and they will only do it once per cruise.
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #1567
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to post a picture of what I had signed at guest services. It was a plate I got from WDW for $12.95. Guest services asked who I wanted to sign and I said as many as possible. She said usually they only do fab 5 or princesses but she would see what she could do. This is what came back to our stateroom. Admittedly it had Princess Tiana twice but I still love it.

Here is the LINK to the plate.

2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #1568
Hook326
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post
I just wanted to post a picture of what I had signed at guest services. It was a plate I got from WDW for $12.95. Guest services asked who I wanted to sign and I said as many as possible. She said usually they only do fab 5 or princesses but she would see what she could do. This is what came back to our stateroom. Admittedly it had Princess Tiana twice but I still love it.

That is an awesome idea! Did you supply markers or did their markers work on the glass? I guess I'd be worried about smearing but yours obviously didn't.
200?-Pop Century
August 2006-ASMovies
February 2009-ASMusic-1st trip with DS#1
September 2010-CBR
November 2011-POFQ-3rd trip with DS #1 & 1st trip with DS#2! Saw the World at Christmastime
November 2012-POFQ
September 2013-1st DCL trip & MNSSHP
Hook326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #1569
Victoria Samson
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
Many or all of these ideas may have all ready been mentioned in this long but very helpful thread but we find them helpful:
rubber door stop to hold the door open when moving luggage in and out
magnetic clip to keep current navigator on the back of door (we always seem to misplace it otherwise)
high lighter to mark activities in the navigator
bathroom air freshener
printed address labels for our disembarking tags
one dollar bills to tip room service etc.
thank you cards to write a note with our tip cards and for our table mates
suction cup hooks to hang in the bathrooms and closet doors
candy/treats to give our room host each day
disposable shower cap, tooth brush and razor
pre-written address labels for postcards and postcard stamps
travel mugs and large zip lock bags for those trips to the beverage and goofy fast food in the morning

We order room service the first night, getting a coffee carafe, container of sugar packages, carton of milk, salt and pepper and wine glasses. We keep all in the cabinet for use during the entire cruise. We usually get a bowl of fruit too and use the empty bowl to dump our pocket stuff in one place when we come in the room.. Husband seems to misplace items, i.e. pins, lip balm, sun glasses if we don't have a designated place I can move them to.
Great tips thanks!!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #1570
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post

That is so amazing. I love it. I love the plate too. I kind of want to order a couple a month and replace my plates as well.
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #1571
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

I supplied the markers. I just got a pack of different coloured sharpies.
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #1572
aan1701
DIS Veteran

On the room service front. I ordered room service almost 14 straight nights on the Wonder and not once did I ever get a slip to sign, so that meant that to leave my gratuity i would need to have small bills. Glad I did or those poor room service runners would not have gotten a tip from me if I did not have my stash of 1's. so have a stash of small bills is a great tip in my book.

DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #1573
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
On the room service front. I ordered room service almost 14 straight nights on the Wonder and not once did I ever get a slip to sign, so that meant that to leave my gratuity i would need to have small bills. Glad I did or those poor room service runners would not have gotten a tip from me if I did not have my stash of 1's. so have a stash of small bills is a great tip in my book.

I thought I was the only one that never got a slip to sign. No problem for me to give out $1 bills for tips, keep them in the safe next to the door.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #1574
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
I thought I was the only one that never got a slip to sign. No problem for me to give out $1 bills for tips, keep them in the safe next to the door.
Same here. Never got a slip to sign. But I haven't been on the Dream or the Fantasy. My last cruise, I sailed with my mom, her first cruise. We just had a spot where I put our $1s in an envelope and I just told her how to tip. Worked out great.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #1575
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I never got a slip to sign from room service on any of my 6 DCL cruises. Trust me. I keep EVERY slip and even the DCL bag from the gift shop. (I just can not throw those out! But I've never been on the Fantasy or the Dream.

Now the bar is a different story. I'll never forget my husband telling me they already added gratuity. No wonder those cast members always found me on deck.

Mum from Oz, that plate is awesome! Did they draw the middle Mickey? Or did it come like that with the Mickey in the middle? Love it!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 06-29-2013 at 04:36 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: