Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Aimros
Zip a dee doo dah!

My Disney dreams were shattered - quite literally (need to vent)

DH & I just got back from a lovely 3 night stay at CSR. We had a great room in Casitas 4. I am always so excited to sleep at Disney (among other things I am excited to go to Disney for ) because I sleep great in the resorts! It's probably a combination of exhausting myself during the day and being so happy to be at WDW that I sleep like a rock. Well, except for our last night this trip. We were both snapped out of deep sleeps at 12:10am to our neighbors slamming the door and yelling loudly outside the room. From my best guess, they were teenagers, but there didn't seem to be any adults around. It was quite frustrating, and rude, and I wanted to vent here to find out what the best thing to do if this ever happens again. Call the front desk? These girls were very, very loud and I can imagine any family with small children who were woken at this time would be even more angry than DH & I were (and DH can sleep through A LOT of noise). After the girls left for the pool, we just knew we would hear them when they got back, and sure enough we did but luckily it was short lived. Anyway, it wasn't a trip ruiner, but it did make the next morning a bit more difficult... anyone else have any experience with this type of annoyance?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
soarin_over_nj
Mouseketeer

I have had a similar situation at a few of the Disney resorts. I normally don't make it out of bed to see exactly what is going on. If it is bad enough I have called the front desk but in certain situation I just let it go. During my last trip in January at OKW the room next door clearly had small children and would wake up EXTREMELY early, like 5am. They would be up and start singing It's a Small World and yelling "Yay Mickey" for hours. In this situation I did not want to ruin the magic, but I understand your frustration.
August 1992 First Trip Polynesian, May 1994 OKW, June 1995 OKW,October 1996 OKW, July 1997 OKW, August 1998 OKW, August 1999 OKW, September 2000 OKW, August 2001 OKW, July 2002 Beach Club, November 2002 All Star Sports, July 2003 Yacht Club, July 2004 OKW, November 2004 OKW, July 2005 Beach Club, April 2006 OKW, July 2006 Boardwalk, August 2007 Boardwalk, July 2008 Boardwalk and AKL, November 2008 OKW, April 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, August 2009 Boardwalk, January 2010 Beach Club, August 2010 Boardwalk, December 2010 25th Trip AKL, July 2011 Beach Club, November 2011 AKL, July 2012 Boardwalk, September 2012 (1st runDisney) Boardwalk, January 2013 Saratoga Springs, Wilderness Lodge, OKW, July 2013 Boardwalk, October 2013 AKL, January 2014 (runDisney) Grand Floridian, OKW, April 2014 Caribbean Beach, July 2014 Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, February 2015 runDisney

soarin_over_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Yes, call the front desk.

I've had a couple instances where I've had to call. At PopC, the room above us had their alarm clock go off around 1:30am. It kept going and going and going. I got up out of bed and went upstairs and could see into the room. No one was in there. I called the front desk to have someone come turn it off.

At ASMu we had a very loud lady in the room connecting to ours. You could hear every word she said. She yelled everything at her family....do this, do that, etc. She eventually got quiet once they went to bed, but the next morning she was at it again. I called the front desk to find out when they were going to check out and I explained why I wanted to know. When they told me that they still had a few days, we asked to be moved to a new room. They got us moved right away.

And lastly, we had a group of men come in drunk as skunks to the room next to us at WL one year. At 2am they were talking loudly and slamming things as they entered their room. It was pretty bad. Before too long they did seem to get into bed and it got quiet, so we never called. If they had kept it up, we would have. You can bet we were not careful about being quiet when we got up the next morning.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
gogo
DIS Veteran

I think your situation was a little difficult to make a standard complaint. Let me explain. It was a bad situation due to the fact that you were awakened. And, sometimes it is very difficult to get back to sleep. When you did (or if you did) you heard them again when returning from the pool.

So, if you called the front desk, in all likelihood the girls would have been gone if someone called them or stopped by the room. It's not as if they were staying in the room making a lot of noise. I'm wondering if Disney would put a note under the door to make the offenders aware that they are disturbing others. Sometimes people forget that others are right next door (out of sight out of mind). So, I wonder if a friendly reminder might work in situations such as yours.

I've heard people in other rooms at BWI and Wilderness Lodge because we had connecting doors. Fortunately, it didn't last long. I will say that when you have connecting doors, I could hear people and it was intrusive even if they weren't doing anything extreme.

CSR is a great moderate resort, glad you enjoyed it
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimros View Post
DH & I just got back from a lovely 3 night stay at CSR. We had a great room in Casitas 4. I am always so excited to sleep at Disney (among other things I am excited to go to Disney for ) because I sleep great in the resorts! It's probably a combination of exhausting myself during the day and being so happy to be at WDW that I sleep like a rock. Well, except for our last night this trip. We were both snapped out of deep sleeps at 12:10am to our neighbors slamming the door and yelling loudly outside the room. From my best guess, they were teenagers, but there didn't seem to be any adults around. It was quite frustrating, and rude, and I wanted to vent here to find out what the best thing to do if this ever happens again. Call the front desk? These girls were very, very loud and I can imagine any family with small children who were woken at this time would be even more angry than DH & I were (and DH can sleep through A LOT of noise). After the girls left for the pool, we just knew we would hear them when they got back, and sure enough we did but luckily it was short lived. Anyway, it wasn't a trip ruiner, but it did make the next morning a bit more difficult... anyone else have any experience with this type of annoyance?
I wouldn't have called the front desk. I would have opened the door, yes, in my PJs, and asked the girls to keep it down. Reminded them of the time and, still in a normal speaking voice, tell them that others are sleeping and could they talk quieter and not bang the door so much.

I find that gets more of a response because they see who they are bothering and like a PP said, by the time someone from the front desk (and BTW - you aren't calling the front desk, you are calling a call center so chances you are going to get a timely response are not that great) get there, the girls would have been gone.

Take the matter into your own hands and I'm fairly certain the girls would have been quieter not only at 12:10 AM but when they came back from the pool.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
jaiminee krikit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
I wouldn't have called the front desk. I would have opened the door, yes, in my PJs, and asked the girls to keep it down. Reminded them of the time and, still in a normal speaking voice, tell them that others are sleeping and could they talk quieter and not bang the door so much.
This is exactly what I would've done, and if they got rude after that I would've called the front desk. Last time we stayed at CBR, on our very first night the room next to us was crazy! Around 2 am we heard them get back, yelling and screaming at each other, I'm sure out of excitement. Then they actually started banging on the door between our rooms! This creeped me out a bit. And I was literally about to open the front door and ask them to be quiet when their parents must have arrived and everything stopped. I was going to say something to them the next day, but by the time we got back to our room after going to the parks, mousekeeping was cleaning out their room. They were gone. Phew! Almost every trip I am amazed at how people behave when on vacation! I can only imagine how they behave at home... ugh!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Aimros
Zip a dee doo dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
I think your situation was a little difficult to make a standard complaint. Let me explain. It was a bad situation due to the fact that you were awakened. And, sometimes it is very difficult to get back to sleep. When you did (or if you did) you heard them again when returning from the pool.

So, if you called the front desk, in all likelihood the girls would have been gone if someone called them or stopped by the room. It's not as if they were staying in the room making a lot of noise. I'm wondering if Disney would put a note under the door to make the offenders aware that they are disturbing others. Sometimes people forget that others are right next door (out of sight out of mind). So, I wonder if a friendly reminder might work in situations such as yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post

I find that gets more of a response because they see who they are bothering and like a PP said, by the time someone from the front desk (and BTW - you aren't calling the front desk, you are calling a call center so chances you are going to get a timely response are not that great) get there, the girls would have been gone.

This is why we just didn't do anything, because it's so different than a standard hotel where everyone is staying in one building, and also, we were both half asleep and not thinking clearly. If I had been more awake, I would have opened the door and asked them to quiet down, but I have to say at that point I was pretty angry and don't know if I could have been very nice about it, so I opted against any sort of conversation with them. We have a hypothesis that they may have gotten talked to/yelled at once they were in the pool - we figured they went over to the quiet pool as the Dig Site was quite far from our room and I can't imagine that people in the rooms surrounding the pool would be very happy if they were being as loud in the pool as they were out front of their room. Luckily it was short lived and we were (eventually) able to fall back asleep.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Sadly, this is the type of behavior that we have come to expect from the general population. When you have so many people together in such a small space, you are bound to be close to rude people who have zero consideration for the people around them. We have done both in these instances - called the front desk, and gone out to talk to the rude guests. We now sleep with a white noise machine which seems to help cover up some of the extra noise.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

We've had it happen a couple of times but only once when we actually turned to the resort CMs to help us. I've shut down noisy kids myself.

On our most recent trip we stayed CL at the BC and our next door neighbors were ridiculous. The father and daughter had a screaming, door slamming fight shortly after we checked in and then they kept the TV on at high volume all day and all night. Literally, all day and all night. It was on at 7 a.m. It was on at 7 p.m. I woke up after 3 a.m. and the TV was so loud I could understand the dialog on the program. We called the front desk and heard them call up to the room a couple of times but our neighbors didn't answer. We made it through the night but had the CL CMs move us to a different room the next day once we learned that the noisy neighbors would be there for a few more days.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

I'd call the front desk in that situation. My personal experience at WDW is that they do more than a standard hotel, where they might just come tell the people to quiet down once, never to return again.

Our worst experience involved a wedding party coming back to their bridal suite with 20+ people at 1:30am. The manager showed up and encountered some attitude, then made everyone leave the room except the bride and groom. We ended up getting a partial comp for our room that night.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Similar problem last year

We were at POR last year during one of the dance competitions and had some major problems with the kids in the group - mostly that there were no adults with them (despite the requirement).

When they were running up and down the halls after 1230a, I popped out and politely asked them to stop. One of the kids got smart with me and made a concerted effort to stomp in front of our room as they sped by. I called front desk and they sent someone out. We heard security discussing with the kids in the courtyard (this was a mansion building) and then the next thing we heard was a woman screaming in anger - we presume the chaperone finally came out and 'disagreed' with what was being said. I'm not sure what happened after that, but we didn't hear any of the kids the next two nights.
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Did you know they have elephants at AKL? Not on the actual savannas but staying IN the building!

I know this because we had a herd of not-quite-endangered Screaming Stomper Elephants staying in the room above us at Jambo House; I believe this particular species also wears clogs as footwear. The smallest of the herd apparently was unable to physically walk anywhere at normal speed, instead insisting on sprinting to-and-fro the balcony whilst crashing the sliding door every 3-5 minutes. (I really didn't mind due to them quieting down every night around 9 or so and I know how Disney gets kids amped up like they're on sugar-laden rocket fuel.)

Last edited by Missoutandabout; 06-27-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimros View Post
My Disney dreams were shattered - quite literally
Really???
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
katiee37
DIS Veteran

I've never called the front desk over my neighbors because I feel like we've never had a bad enough experience that would warrant the call. I think the noisiest neighbor we ever had at WDW was a child 2 or under crying in the middle of the night, but you aren't going to call the front desk just because the toddler next door had a bad dream. I wouldn't hesitate to call though if it was something like a bunch of teenagers or if a group didn't stop after being confronted.
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
PrincessTess
Curiouser and curiouser

We took a trip to the Dolphin one time and the tour groups from brazil were staying there. They were literally everywhere. My sister and I were coming back from MK EMH and they were all hanging out on the lawn and lets just say the display being put on by the girls and guys was very disturbing. They were always very loud and had some chant they would cheer.

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is,
because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is,
it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would."
-Alice

PrincessTess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: