DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 156

Question about resale with a "can't close until <insert date>" designation

Has anyone bought a resale that can't close until a future date? If so, how does it affect the purchase? If there is an agreed upon price and a contract, does it get signed immediately; does the down payment get paid immediately; when does it go for ROFR etc.

Thanks in advance for any info that can be provided.
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,720

The owners have a vacation scheduled that they want to keep. The purchase proceeds just like any purchase, you just don't close until after the date indicated. If the delay causes you as the buyer a problem, you can negotiate a price adjustment. Specifics are up to the parties involved and the broker can provide you with more info.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Mil leech
Earning My Ears
 
Mil leech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 35

I put an offer in for a "cannot close until August 23rd" contract in April. We completed the contract including the down payment, sent it to Disney, and Passed ROFR in May. Now we wait. We will get the closing documents at the beginning of August so we can close when they return from their cruise. I am guessing everything will be signed and they will submit the closing documents to Disney on the day they return.
Mil leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil leech View Post
I put an offer in for a "cannot close until August 23rd" contract in April. We completed the contract including the down payment, sent it to Disney, and Passed ROFR in May. Now we wait. We will get the closing documents at the beginning of August so we can close when they return from their cruise. I am guessing everything will be signed and they will submit the closing documents to Disney on the day they return.
Thanks for the info. I was kind of wondering if you had to wait until the "close date" and then go through ROFR (which would suck). If you dont mind me asking, were you able to negotiate a more favorable price due to the extended closing date?
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
tb1972
DIS Veteran
 
tb1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 564

We purchased an add on contract back in April and the seller could not close until today, June 27th. They had their last DVC trip planned which ended earlier this week. Today I was notified by the broker the seller backed out...they enjoyed their vacation and decided not to sell after all. I don't know if this is typical or not with changing their mind after a trip...I hope not. I'm very upset with this incident and would not want anyone to experience it.
__________________
meDHDD12DS9
MaxwellSebastian
tb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1972 View Post
We purchased an add on contract back in April and the seller could not close until today, June 27th. They had their last DVC trip planned which ended earlier this week. Today I was notified by the broker the seller backed out...they enjoyed their vacation and decided not to sell after all. I don't know if this is typical or not with changing their mind after a trip...I hope not. I'm very upset with this incident and would not want anyone to experience it.
That's terrible - did you sign a contract? / put down a deposit?
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
cvjw
DIS Veteran
 
cvjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 3,127

We just sold one of our contracts with a "can't close until June 9th" clause. As PP stated, you do everything like a normal contract, except that the contract does not change hands until after the close by date. We put our contract on the market in February, and had a buyer in a couple of days. I guess they didn't need the points for a while. We signed the contracts, passed ROFR and then waited until June to close. FYI - since everything was ready, the contract was closed around June 10th - right after we returned from our vacation.

You had inquired about a price reduction for a later closing. I will tell you our experience. Our contract had no 2013 points, and a delayed closing of several months, and the buyers offered us $3 a point under our asking price ($58 for a 150 point SSR contract). If we had've waited a month, we could have made more money since the resale prices are up significantly.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
tb1972
DIS Veteran
 
tb1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam View Post

That's terrible - did you sign a contract? / put down a deposit?
Yes we did sign a contract, paid deposit, passed rofr and paid the final balance. Now we wait for our full refund and find another contract. Really disappointed today.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
meDHDD12DS9
MaxwellSebastian
tb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1972 View Post
We purchased an add on contract back in April and the seller could not close until today, June 27th. They had their last DVC trip planned which ended earlier this week. Today I was notified by the broker the seller backed out...they enjoyed their vacation and decided not to sell after all. I don't know if this is typical or not with changing their mind after a trip...I hope not. I'm very upset with this incident and would not want anyone to experience it.
Is there some sort of monetary penalty for breaking a signed real estate sales contract?
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
tb1972
DIS Veteran
 
tb1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFlaDisneyfans View Post

Is there some sort of monetary penalty for breaking a signed real estate sales contract?
I thought there would be, but to get a lawyer involved would just be an expense for us. The broker didn't think it was worth it either. He had seen a few of these cases in his experience selling Dvc timeshares. He said it is rare and happens in their company about twice per year.

I guess we just move on and hopefully a better contract pops up.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
meDHDD12DS9
MaxwellSebastian
tb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
twinsouvenirs
Loving Double Trouble :)
 
twinsouvenirs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,059

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFlaDisneyfans View Post
Is there some sort of monetary penalty for breaking a signed real estate sales contract?
That's what I was going to ask! There should be some penalty for the seller not going through with the contract.

You could sue for specific performance but that would probably be expensive too...(I am not a FL licensed atty) http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Se...contrac-212614
twinsouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFlaDisneyfans View Post
Is there some sort of monetary penalty for breaking a signed real estate sales contract?
If a buyer backs out, they lose their deposit. If the seller backs out, the buyer can sue them to force them to perform, but that is unrealistic and costly. The seller is technically obligated to pay the full sales commission, but brokers might be reluctant to enforce this for fear that it might damage their reputation. So basically, there's nothing that anyone can do really. It's one of the downsides of buying resale, but happens so infrequently that you shouldn't really give it much weight.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 24,240
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
If a buyer backs out, they lose their deposit. .......(snip).....
I'm not so sure this is true with timeshares in Florida since the buyer has 10 days to rescind. I believe the deposit must be returned. Could be wrong.
__________________
Best Wishes -



BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
tb1972
DIS Veteran
 
tb1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post

If a buyer backs out, they lose their deposit. If the seller backs out, the buyer can sue them to force them to perform, but that is unrealistic and costly. The seller is technically obligated to pay the full sales commission, but brokers might be reluctant to enforce this for fear that it might damage their reputation. So basically, there's nothing that anyone can do really. It's one of the downsides of buying resale, but happens so infrequently that you shouldn't really give it much weight.
That's what the broker said also, in FL it is hard to collect his commission when a seller backs out. He said the time and expense to attempt to collect aren't worth it.

We bought resale before and didn't have any issues. Hopefully, today's experience is an isolated one.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
meDHDD12DS9
MaxwellSebastian
tb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
twinsouvenirs
Loving Double Trouble :)
 
twinsouvenirs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,059

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1972 View Post
I thought there would be, but to get a lawyer involved would just be an expense for us. The broker didn't think it was worth it either. He had seen a few of these cases in his experience selling Dvc timeshares. He said it is rare and happens in their company about twice per year.

I guess we just move on and hopefully a better contract pops up.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
You could also get a lawyer to write a demand letter for some kind of monetary compensation for the time lost.
twinsouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.