Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #46
becca1976
Mouseketeer

Yay - an Alaska trip report for this year! I can't wait to get some time and sit and read through all of this!
becca1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #47
travelvr
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiburple View Post
Symptoms include thinking about your cruise on a daily basis, dreaming your back on board, and even repeated episodes of checking Disney's cruise website to see what you can do to get back on the ship . More serious symptoms can even include plotting underhanded ways to sneak back on.

You have been warned
I'm doomed! I'm ALREADY doing #1 and modified #2 (dreaming what it's like to be on board)!!

Question: If you have main seating for dining (is it 5:45?), does that mean you have to get back from the excursions early to make it to dinner (on days when the ship leaves late)? Can you go to main dining room for lunch? Is it too cold to swim in the pools? Do we need to arrive early to see the shows?
travelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #48
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelvr View Post
I'm doomed! I'm ALREADY doing #1 and modified #2 (dreaming what it's like to be on board)!!

Good luck! You'll have a support group back here waiting for you on your return

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelvr View Post
Question: If you have main seating for dining (is it 5:45?), does that mean you have to get back from the excursions early to make it to dinner (on days when the ship leaves late)? Can you go to main dining room for lunch? Is it too cold to swim in the pools? Do we need to arrive early to see the shows?
You don't Have to have dinner in the MDRs. Beach Blanket as well as the pizza, hotdog, burger area are still open. Also room service is available 24 hours although not great. However if you want to make it to the MDR, then yes, you would have to return early. I highly recommend making it to Animators Pallet when it's serving it's regular rotation menu. I also love the Grand Marnier Soufflé at Tritons. Yes, the MDRs are sometimes open for lunch. Your navigator will tell you which ones are available on each day - however, you won't always get your dining team for lunch.

The kids didn't seem to think it was too cold to swim though I certainly did. I also saw a couple adults in the adult pool but not many. I did however very much enjoy the hot tub .

You don't need to arrive too early to see the shows. We had a bigger group so we tried to be about 15 min early just so we could get good seats all together, but really that wasn't super necessary.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #49
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Thanks for sharing. Its great to relive my Alaskan adventure from last year.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #50
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Enjoyed reading this, especially about the aquarium as we are planning on going there.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #51
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Awesome report! Planning a 2015 cruise- the wait is going to kill me!

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #52
Angrypenguin
Disney n00b!

How funny! We may have passed each other during check-in at customs. We were on the Princess cruise that was boarding at the same time. Fun to see how the Disney Cruise was!

Thanks for sharing.

Wedding pics here, here, and here

Disney World pictures here and here and here

My flickr: www.flickr.com/kevinkyen
Angrypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #53
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypenguin View Post
How funny! We may have passed each other during check-in at customs. We were on the Princess cruise that was boarding at the same time. Fun to see how the Disney Cruise was!

Thanks for sharing.
We were the confused people causing delays at passport control.

Actually, I'm just as curious about the Princess cruise. Having only ever cruised Disney (only 2 cruises) I've been wondering what the other cruise ships are like. Is there gambling on the Princess?

Last edited by chiburple; 06-25-2013 at 09:39 AM.
chiburple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #54
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Awesome report! Planning a 2015 cruise- the wait is going to kill me!
I wholeheartedly empathize. We're thinking about a 2015 Caribbean and having just gotten off the ship there's nothing I want more than to just skip next year entirely.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #55
Crown_princess
Disney vacation addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiburple View Post
We were the confused people causing delays at passport control.

Actually, I'm just as curious about the Princess cruise. Having only ever cruised Disney (only 2 cruises) I've been wondering what the other cruise ships are like. Is there gambling on the Princess?
Funny, you should ask, as I have my own little write up here! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3125459

There is gambling on Princess, although we don't gamble. Didn't stop us from pretending though:

IMG_0399 by kevinkyen, on Flickr

Here's a view of the Wonder while we were in port...we were very tempted to make a left turn instead of right and sneak onboard!

IMG_0199 by kevinkyen, on Flickr

We usually do everything Disney, and were planning on going on your cruise, but I think what pushed us over the edge (besides the price) was that Princess goes to Glacier Bay. We decided that this one time, since Alaska was the destination and not the ship/cruise itself, we would break and save the money (just this time!) for excursions. We were a little disappointed in Princess, but NOT disappointed in the fact that the difference in price allowed us to take a float plane in Misty Fjord in Ketchikan and some other things.

Misty Fjord:

IMG_0538 by kevinkyen, on Flickr

IMG_0553 by kevinkyen, on Flickr

Glacier Bay:

IMG_1785 by kevinkyen, on Flickr

calving by kevinkyen, on Flickr

I'm definitely looking forward to going back. Maybe next time we'll do the Disney one and you can do the Princess, and we'll compare notes!

March 2009 FairyTale Wedding PJ
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post25294663

Wine and Dine Half Marathon 2013 Planning and TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3088379
Crown_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #56
Angrypenguin
Disney n00b!

Oops! I just realized I was logged in under my wife's name! Don't worry, she was on the cruise too

Wedding pics here, here, and here

Disney World pictures here and here and here

My flickr: www.flickr.com/kevinkyen
Angrypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #57
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_princess View Post
Funny, you should ask, as I have my own little write up here! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3125459

There is gambling on Princess, although we don't gamble. Didn't stop us from pretending though:

Here's a view of the Wonder while we were in port...we were very tempted to make a left turn instead of right and sneak onboard!

We usually do everything Disney, and were planning on going on your cruise, but I think what pushed us over the edge (besides the price) was that Princess goes to Glacier Bay. We decided that this one time, since Alaska was the destination and not the ship/cruise itself, we would break and save the money (just this time!) for excursions. We were a little disappointed in Princess, but NOT disappointed in the fact that the difference in price allowed us to take a float plane in Misty Fjord in Ketchikan and some other things.

I'm definitely looking forward to going back. Maybe next time we'll do the Disney one and you can do the Princess, and we'll compare notes!
OMG! Your pictures are amazing!! Especially Glacier Bay - I totally see how that visit would have made it worth taking the Princess.
Oh, that was your trip report . I actually read it and now remember being jealous of your pictures. I couldn't help wonder if it was the same Alaska that we went to!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #58
SacCruiser
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the great pictures!

1st DCL:
December 14th 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
2nd DCL:
November 28th, 2015, Fantasy Western Caribbean
SacCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #59
MickeyRocksInPA
Earning My Ears