Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #3286
SPOERLX3
DIS Veteran
 
SPOERLX3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mesquite, Tx
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon006 View Post
Thank you. I do know it is not guaranteed. Our last trip with just me and dh we requested and didn't get a king. We are going in September , just me and dh and are hoping to get a king this time
Going in September, I hope your travel dates are during the time that allows you to take advantage of the free dining!

Pixie dust coming your way for a king bed and don't forget during check in, if there is no king rooms available on the day you check in, just ask the CM if there is a posibility to move to a king room during your stay. (If you don't mind packing up and moving) September is a slower month so hopefully you will get one from the start.
__________________
me DH DS DDNL DGS10 DGS7 I am Blessed!!
SPOERLX3 is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #3287
chimilady
DIS Veteran
 
chimilady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: America's Birthplace
Posts: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanzie72 View Post
For those of you that bring your beer, wine, or booze with you, how have you packed it if you are flying?
I just thought I'd mention that it's illegal to transport alcohol over state lines.
__________________
chimilady is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #3288
jimsanfilippo
Mouseketeer
 
jimsanfilippo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 274

Refurbished Rooms

I read that PC has had a number of rooms recently refurbished. We will be staying there for the first time in September and I was wondering if anyone knows which group(s) of rooms were already completed so we could request one of them when we arrive. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
__________________
2014 Animal Kingdom Villas, 2013 Pop Century Resort, 2012 Orbit One Villas/Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2012 (Disneyland) HoJo Plaza Hotel Anaheim, 2012 Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 2012 Bay Lake Towers, 2011 (Disneyland) Grand Californian Villas, 2011 Windsor Hills Resort, 2010 (Disneyland) Peacock Suites, 2010 The Palms Hotels & Villas, 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas, 2009 Liki Tiki Village, 2008 Magical Memories Villas, 2006 Coronado Springs/Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2006 Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2005 Wilderness Lodge, 2004 Universal Studios Area Hotel, 2003 Wilderness Lodge, 1997 Wilderness Lodge/Niki Bird, 1991 Small cheap motel, 1990 Small cheap motel, 1981 Orlando Area Campground
jimsanfilippo is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #3289
jcarwash
DIS Veteran
 
jcarwash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,352

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsanfilippo View Post
I read that PC has had a number of rooms recently refurbished. We will be staying there for the first time in September and I was wondering if anyone knows which group(s) of rooms were already completed so we could request one of them when we arrive. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Unless I've missed brand new news, Pop Century's last room refurb was done in 2010. All buildings were included in that project.
__________________

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR
jcarwash is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #3290
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy
 
Minnesota!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow!
Posts: 8,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaEA24 View Post
Just back from a week at Pop and have to agree with the comments on the menu changes at the food court. Some of the items are just gross but my family made do with the pizza, cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets. I also enjoyed the Tuna sandwich. I have sent an email to Disney with my thoughts.

I had read here earlier about fans being available so when we got to our room I called but was told there were no fans. I don't know if she meant there were none available or if they don't have fans. Anyway, maintenance came and lowered our thermostat since we couldn't get it below the preset 68.

We had a preferred pool view but don't know if we'll do that again. Loved walking out of my room to the pool but, as had been mentioned here, there was a lot of noise. Due to thunderstorms/rain almost every night, the pool ended up closing early most nights so thankfully it wasn't an issue for us.

No problem with buses. With one exception, I don't think we ever waited more than 15 minutes. Mears buses picked us up 3 times. The resort didn't seem crowded by any means but the parks were packed!
They do have fans - they must have either been all being used, or they were "lying". We have requested and received them each time.

Re: the menu - did you not like what was offered (not to your tastes) or was the food actually bad? The menu looks fantastic to me, so just wondering if it's individual taste vs. the actual execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady View Post
I just thought I'd mention that it's illegal to transport alcohol over state lines.
Not in MN. I just did a quick search and it seems like only a small handful of states have any stipulations on it.

43 days till WDW....45 till Pop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that I am excited or anything
__________________


Minnesota! is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #3291
KELLY
DIS Veteran
 
KELLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Wells,me,usa
Posts: 5,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
They do have fans - they must have either been all being used, or they were "lying". We have requested and received them each time.

Re: the menu - did you not like what was offered (not to your tastes) or was the food actually bad? The menu looks fantastic to me, so just wondering if it's individual taste vs. the actual execution.



Not in MN. I just did a quick search and it seems like only a small handful of states have any stipulations on it.

43 days till WDW....45 till Pop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that I am excited or anything
I'm right there with you 52 til pop, 53 til cruise than 58 til back at pop again. Geesh I have whiplash now.
__________________

Many Trips the past 6 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 8 and DD 6
KELLY is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #3292
Kat016
DIS Veteran
 
Kat016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pottstown, Pa
Posts: 2,758

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady

I just thought I'd mention that it's illegal to transport alcohol over state lines.
According to the FAA website you can...just an fyi
Kat016 is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #3293
DanaEA24
Earning My Ears
 
DanaEA24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
They do have fans - they must have either been all being used, or they were "lying". We have requested and received them each time.

Re: the menu - did you not like what was offered (not to your tastes) or was the food actually bad? The menu looks fantastic to me, so just wondering if it's individual taste vs. the actual execution.



The person I spoke with in Mousekeeping sounded really surprised when I asked about the fan. Maybe she was new or just didn't know for sure. It ended up not being a big deal since we had brought a small fan with us. I just thought the big fan might help keep things cooler but maintainence lowering the thermostat took care of it.

As far as the food, my 9 year old thought the "bun" on the kid's cheeseburger was gross. I'm not sure if it was because it was wheat or if it was the shape (fish) that freaked her out but she didn't like it. I ordered the beef stroganoff but that had a weird taste as well. It said it came with dill pickle, which I wrongly assumed would be served on the side, but it is actually cut up into the stroganoff, giving it a weird taste. Maybe some people put dill pickle in stroganoff but I have never had it that way and didn't like it at all. My sister had the chicken and dumplings and said that were tasteless. She did say the rotiserrie chicken was good. I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. I'm sure some will enjoy the new menu.
DanaEA24 is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #3294
shannon006
DIS Veteran
 
shannon006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOERLX3 View Post
Going in September, I hope your travel dates are during the time that allows you to take advantage of the free dining!

Pixie dust coming your way for a king bed and don't forget during check in, if there is no king rooms available on the day you check in, just ask the CM if there is a posibility to move to a king room during your stay. (If you don't mind packing up and moving) September is a slower month so hopefully you will get one from the start.
Yes, we have free dining We are on the fence to changing to CSR. If we stay at the POP, we will upgrade to DDP. This will be the first time ever to do so. We have had QSDP, but never DDP. It has made me crazy with reservations
__________________
Offsite 1995,,2000,2002,2009, CBR 1995, CR 1995,ASMO 1998,AKL 2010, POP 1/12, POP 5/12 POP 9/13 AKV 1/14 CSR 12/14
shannon006 is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #3295
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,663

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady View Post
I just thought I'd mention that it's illegal to transport alcohol over state lines.
oh come on! we have traveled with alcohol in our checked bags when flying , numerous times. TSA rules are you can bring only 5 litres per bag. and they know we are traveling from one state to another.
and we have NUMEROUS times broughts it ove state lines while driving. not just for disney trips.

just wondering why you would tell people this...?
smidgy is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #3296
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!
 
Sandi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA
Posts: 5,291

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
oh come on! we have traveled with alcohol in our checked bags when flying , numerous times. TSA rules are you can bring only 5 litres per bag. and they know we are traveling from one state to another.
and we have NUMEROUS times broughts it ove state lines while driving. not just for disney trips.

just wondering why you would tell people this...?
The person who posted that is technically correct. But, provided you are not transporting large amounts for sale or even personal use, no one enforces the law. The FAA is more concerned about the "hazardous" nature of alcohol than in the actual use of the product. It's sort of like speeding -- not legal, but as long as you aren't crazy over the limit, not penalized.
__________________
Have a Disney Day! -Sandi

Need to plan a trip!
Sandi is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #3297
SPOERLX3
DIS Veteran
 
SPOERLX3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mesquite, Tx
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon006 View Post
Yes, we have free dining We are on the fence to changing to CSR. If we stay at the POP, we will upgrade to DDP. This will be the first time ever to do so. We have had QSDP, but never DDP. It has made me crazy with reservations
When DH and I take our solo trips, we always upgrade to the DDP when we stay value during free dining.
2 adults staying at POP with free QS for 6 days/5 nights is $1250, upgrade to DDP and the cost is $1430 so only $180 difference. Upgrading to CSR to get the DDP for the same trip is $1787 which is an additional $357 over the DDP at POP. Now, we could go to CB for $1618 which is just an additional $188 over the price for the DDP.

NOW I will say that when we go and take our grandkids, we do not upgrade. It is just to hard to work around reservations with kids. Having to stop what you are doing in the park to get to a ressie can be time consuming. They ask you to check in for your ressie 15 min ahead and then another hour+ for dinner. The kids just want to be in the park (or at least that has been our experience)

Truly we love POP, it really gives you the Disney feeling being there. We aren't fancy people and we aren't in the room enough to justify the additional cost. Plus with AoA just across the lake it is fun to go over there and emerse yourself in the giant movie sets. We have stayed at POP our past 7 trips, prior to that we have stayed at CBR, CSR, ASsp, ASmo. We have not ever stayed anything above moderate. POP is our Disney home away from home and it has always been a great experience for us whether we take our grandkids or it's just the 2 of us!

Some of our favorite ressies on the DDP normally include:
O'hana- our favorite!!! We always do this on our MK day so we can jump on the monorail and get over there and back pretty easily.
Le Cellier - we only use 1 persons DDP (so 2 credits) since my favorite thing on their menu was the spicy chicken sausage appitizer and now they have taken it off the menu-not sure if we will do Le Cellier again . Before my DH would eat a steak with the DDP and I would pay OOP for my appitizer.
Teppan Edo- DH likes this more than I do since we have a hibachi grill locally that we can go to.
Sci-Fi- WE LOVE THIS PLACE for burgers and onion rings
Tusker House for Breakfast - DH loves this breakfast (i dont think I get my moneys worth) It is great for kids.
Yak and Yeti- only been once and it was yummy.
We also like Whispering Canyon but havent been in a couple of years, Boma but the flavors are a little bit to much for my DH.
We really want to try during our next trip: Via Napoli, and we may have to find a new steak house
__________________
me DH DS DDNL DGS10 DGS7 I am Blessed!!

Last edited by SPOERLX3; 06-27-2013 at 09:41 AM.
SPOERLX3 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #3298
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!
 
Sandi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA
Posts: 5,291

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOERLX3 View Post
Truly we love POP, it really gives you the Disney feeling being there. We aren't fancy people and we aren't in the room enough to justify the additional cost.

* * *

We really want to try during our next trip: Via Napoli, and we may have to find a new steak house
We're also not fancy people and just love Pop. With the money we save on accommodations, we can have nicer meals. (Our upcoming trip is to celebrate DD's graduation, so we're splurging a bit and staying at BWI, but I consider Pop our "go to" resort.)

Anyway, we love Via Napoli's pizza. Some day I'd like to try another dish, but the pizza is so enjoyable we always get it. That and the shared salad is a perfect meal.

As far as a new steak house, I wanted to suggest Yachtsman Steakhouse at the YC. We enjoyed that as much as Le Cellier and found that the servings were larger. (As DD says, portions big enough for Dad.) Service was excellent.
__________________
Have a Disney Day! -Sandi

Need to plan a trip!
Sandi is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #3299
SPOERLX3
DIS Veteran
 
SPOERLX3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mesquite, Tx
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
We're also not fancy people and just love Pop. With the money we save on accommodations, we can have nicer meals. (Our upcoming trip is to celebrate DD's graduation, so we're splurging a bit and staying at BWI, but I consider Pop our "go to" resort.)

Anyway, we love Via Napoli's pizza. Some day I'd like to try another dish, but the pizza is so enjoyable we always get it. That and the shared salad is a perfect meal.

As far as a new steak house, I wanted to suggest Yachtsman Steakhouse at the YC. We enjoyed that as much as Le Cellier and found that the servings were larger. (As DD says, portions big enough for Dad.) Service was excellent.
How fun! We have always loved visiting the BWI! Tell DD CONGRATULATIONS!

I am adding Yachtsman to the list! Looks delicious (now for me to find something to eat) DH loves steak, me...not so much I really hate that Le Cellier took the spicy chicken sausage and sweet corn polenta off the menu. It was amazing!

Thank you for the recommendation!
__________________
me DH DS DDNL DGS10 DGS7 I am Blessed!!
SPOERLX3 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #3300
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!
 
Sandi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA
Posts: 5,291

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOERLX3 View Post
How fun! We have always loved visiting the BWI! Tell DD CONGRATULATIONS!

I am adding Yachtsman to the list! Looks delicious (now for me to find something to eat) DH loves steak, me...not so much I really hate that Le Cellier took the spicy chicken sausage and sweet corn polenta off the menu. It was amazing!

Thank you for the recommendation!
You're welcome. Yachtsman has more than steak. My favorite thing there was the truffle mac n cheese. I had the fillet and switched out the mashed potatoes for the mac n cheese. Ooooh, I'm making me hungry.
__________________
Have a Disney Day! -Sandi

Need to plan a trip!
Sandi is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: