Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #331
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

I confess I am a goody two shoes.
I've never taken food off of the ship (even packaged foods.)
I follow the written dress codes.
I put my bags out when we're supposed to.
I tip at or above expected levels.
I keep my kids out of the quiet cove even if it means backtracking and going downstairs to avoid it.
I don't save seats in the theatre.
And yes, I still have a wonderful cruise!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #332
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by railagainst View Post
Nobody has stiffed the staff on tips? Brought food off the ship at dock as a snack/lunch? Those amnesty barrels aren't there to hold the docks down. Spill it.
Once, we didn't tip the head server. He was horrendous. He was rude to our servers, whom we thought were awesome, and only came by our table once...ONCE...on a 7 day cruise. While I understand that servers (cruise ships, restaurants) work for low wages, that is their choice to employ themselves in that environment, in which tips make up the majority of their wages. Therefore, in order to earn that tip from me, I expect a certain level of service. You are not going to get tipped for bad service, plain and simple. Serve me well, and you will be rewarded above the mandatory/minimum tip level.
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #333
wcw57
DIS Veteran

uh oh! a tipping post.....!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #334
JPapenfuss
Earning My Ears

We had a horrible head waiter only once out of 11 cruises. We still tipped the minimum. Everyone else we tip as much as we can ( usually way above the customary amount) I wish we had not tipped at all- maybe he would got the message? Come by and visit us maybe just once? My confession is that I hate dressing up. I know others love to and most families look pretty sparkly and awesome! I usually show up to dinner in sweat pants and a T Shirt. Once- bingo was running late and I was tired from the day. I showed up to the dining room on formal night in sweat pants and a T shirt. No one said anything to me and dinner certainly did not taste any different due to my dress code that night!! I appreciated the fact our servers still treated me wonderfully. They could see I was worn out & tired and just wanted to enjoy my vacation! One of the reasons we keep going back is for that reason!!!
JPapenfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #335
Slappy32
Mouseketeer

Reserved two cabanas during my concierge window, so I could drop one later and a 75 day window friend could have one.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #336
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy32 View Post
Reserved two cabanas during my concierge window, so I could drop one later and a 75 day window friend could have one.
Will you be my friend??

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #337
shmoogrrrl
Tigger Goddess
Has discovered the mysterious and elusive tag fairie
Has a fondness for 7624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post
Once, we didn't tip the head server. He was horrendous. He was rude to our servers, whom we thought were awesome, and only came by our table once...ONCE...on a 7 day cruise. While I understand that servers (cruise ships, restaurants) work for low wages, that is their choice to employ themselves in that environment, in which tips make up the majority of their wages. Therefore, in order to earn that tip from me, I expect a certain level of service. You are not going to get tipped for bad service, plain and simple. Serve me well, and you will be rewarded above the mandatory/minimum tip level.
I've never understood why the Head server is a tipped position. I mean if he/she is in charge of the restaurant in a manager's position, he should be paid as such. I think that in five cruises we've maybe interacted with him once, and that was just him stopping by to say hi. Disney really ought to pay him/her as a Staff member and not a tipped position.

That said, we've always tipped what we were supposed to, but we always tip a little more to our servers and room steward, and not that position.

Now, back on topic, I'm not sure what other confessions I can make, besides our love of flying grapes and plank walking Mickeys.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #338
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post
ROFL...

Ummm, I have the Doubloon (excursion in St Thomas) flag tattooed on my left shoulder!

Did you have that done in prison?
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #339
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Our head waiter was amazing! We tipped well over for him! It's the first time in years a head waiter did anything for us. I agree about earning it.

We have never not tipped, even on the very less than stellar CCL last few times (because we know they are dependent on it.) However, we did not tip over that at ALL for them. On our DCL, we definitely did.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #340
eblong
Summer in the Med!

OOOOH - This is going to hurt, but here goes anyway

We have a granddaughter that doesn't like her food to touch. When she eats dinner at our house, she gets to use this plate:

or -
She gets to use this plate:

To be fair, we picked up a snack at a buffet and told the dish-hander-outer CM that we were taking it to our room, and that we were considering stealing it because our granddaughter would love it. He said to go ahead. Of course, now we know they never say no,and the second one -from the Fantasy (is a bit more blatant), but still...

BTW - we do have two AP butter knives from the Fantasy, but we bought them in the shop.
Disney Fantasy: Maiden Voyage 04/12 (WC), 12/12 (EC)

Dis Magnets at http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/...ney%20Magnets/

Photos at http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l599/ebslong/
eblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #341
tdunaway
Mouseketeer

confession good for the soul

Okay....the only other person who knows this story is DD who was on the ship with me and was sworn to secrecy....3 years ago I learned the hard way not to forget to leave pants out when you set your luggage out.....I realized it about 2 hours after they picked ours up...I was so lovely the next morning in my pajama capri bottoms (bright yellow and orange polka dots) and a blue shirt.....going through immigration, checking into the Polynesian, standing in line to shake the crews hands....they never batted an eye but it was the most embarrassing day of my life!!!! I laugh about that day at least once a week!
tdunaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #342
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgarv View Post
One time as we were leaving the ship, I passed a stateroom that was open, and saw the red "Dream" pillow under the bed.......so I took it.

Just Kidding......
Omg. This is hysterical! I read that other thread!!

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #343
princess slink
Earning My Ears

We have a secret regarding the waive phones. Both kids had their own waive phone with strict instructions to look after them - we paid an extra daily rate for an extra phone so we could contact both kids.

Hubby and I were relaxing at the adult pool and I happened to drop our waive phone in the pool!!! (After a couple of marguaritas) Shock horror, it all seemed to happen in slow motion. We tried to dry it out for a day or so and it did come back on but was not working properly. We were very sneaky and took it to customer services saying it was on but not working correctly for some unknown reason!! They gave us a temporary phone in the meantime. A couple of days later they gave us back the original phone with no charge. No one knows to this day it was my fault, but at least we got away with not paying the $250 replacement!!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #344
Meredisney
DIS Veteran

Location: "second STAR to the right, and straight on 'til morning"

This thread is great!!!

I confess that DH and I both fell asleep during our couples massage! We scheduled them on the first night of the cruise and we must have been exhausted from traveling!

I confess to bringing a few bottles of red wine on board and taking glasses of juice from breakfast back to my stateroom to make sangria. I also confess to putting said sangria into a DCL insulated mug and consuming it in places other than my stateroom.

I confess to skipping dinner in the dining room so that we could order room service or go to Topsiders/Cabanas instead.

I confess to missing pirate night because I fell asleep.

I confess to wearing nothing under my robe in the Rainforest room.

I confess to not wearing panties under my long formal gown to avoid visible panty line.

Future: Disney Fantasy - 11/07/2015
Completed: Disney Dream - 11/14/2014; Disney Dream Charity Preview Cruise - 01/21/11; Carnival Dream - 07/31/10; Disney Wonder - 11/05/09; Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 03/30/09; Celebrity Solstice - 11/21/08 charter pre-inaugural 2 day cruise to nowhere; Disney Wonder - 11/01/07; Caribbean Princess - 9/24/05; Carnival Fascination - 11/08/04; Disney Magic - 03/27/04; Disney Wonder - 10/02/03; Disney Wonder - 5/16/02
Meredisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #345
MickeyEarrings
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa1970 View Post
Omg. This is hysterical! I read that other thread!!

Link, please?.....
MickeyEarrings is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: