Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #361
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I see, I see!!!!! Not great, not horrible. Good flight times going in; only 9 am and 2:30 pm going out....

If we fly into FL should Joshua and I stay the night in FL or cab it to Miami and stay there as it'll be easier in the morning?

Did you look for yours yet?

I got mine, will be getting in to FLL at 5:00. That's exactly the question I'm trying to figure out. It seems that hotels are cheaper in FL than Miami. I'm not worried about getting to the port in the morning, the company I used in January was fantastic, SAS transportation. And not all the hotels in Miami offer transportation to the port. I wasn't factoring in all these extra expenses. But I really don't want to fly in the morning of the cruise because of potential weather problems at home. I wish RCI had something close, but it doesn't seem so.

Quote:
I still haven't decided what we're going to do after and today is the 7th month mark. Have you decided? I feel like a total spazz!
I know, me too. I almost booked OKW yesterday, had the screen up and everything. Not sure why I didn't just book it. But after looking at hotel prices in FL and Miami I'm definitely going up to WDW.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #362
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
I got mine, will be getting in to FLL at 5:00. That's exactly the question I'm trying to figure out. It seems that hotels are cheaper in FL than Miami. I'm not worried about getting to the port in the morning, the company I used in January was fantastic, SAS transportation. And not all the hotels in Miami offer transportation to the port. I wasn't factoring in all these extra expenses. But I really don't want to fly in the morning of the cruise because of potential weather problems at home. I wish RCI had something close, but it doesn't seem so.

Miami hotels are so expensive. We'll over $22 for the night. It does include the shuttle to the port though. I booked the Hampton just in case but if we fly into Fort Lauderdale, which we are, that's a bust because I think the hotel is at the airport.

I agree to not fly in the morning of. I'd love to fly in Friday and maybe stay with our friends in Coconut Grove for 2 nights but we never know if they'll be home. I don't want to stay there with the many and kids.

That's about what time we'll land too. I tried to buy our flights today but because Joshua's ticket was bought in part with some old credits, the whole amount has to be flown by 9/20 so were going to use it for business for Michael. I have to wait until I get home to book because I need more points and the points part of SW is firewalls for some odd reason.

Quote:
I know, me too. I almost booked OKW yesterday, had the screen up and everything. Not sure why I didn't just book it. But after looking at hotel prices in FL and Miami I'm definitely going up to WDW.

Are you going to go to WDW after then? I'm so envious. Joshua doesn't want to miss more school so I'm trying to see if it'd be worth it to go for just two nights. I mean, I guess it's always worth it. We'd just do resort time unless some windfall of money comes unexpectedly.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #363
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
I love your coupons! You always know where to get the deals. It's awesome! Where did you go?
It was a place called Harvey's in HB. Not great but we got $100 off dinner and the certificate cost $50 and had to be used by a party of four. It's Fran who finds the deals not me!

Quote:
Park Estates? That's a nice area. They'll be rented in no time.
It's a unique building too. The only small complex over there. They will rent, I just want to get good tenants in there. No whiners, trouble makers or deadbeats.

Quote:
So she just filed a motion for a hearing? What a waste of everyone's time. I'm sorry she's stalling the process. Hopefully the judge fines her for wasting tax payer dollars on nonsense.
No, every construction project in Long Beach has to appear apply for permits etc. Our building happens to be located in a historic district so we have to appear before the historic commission, however our architect has complied with all the requests of the city, so the city is recommending approval.

Quote:
Thats what so hard, waiting on others. I know he has a job, any idea when he can get to it? Hopefully at least by the weekend at the latest.
Yesterday we got all the blinds up in #4. I have to size the bathroom horizontal blind, but the verticals are done. We have to get a curtain for the front door, but we're thinking Anna's for that. The contractor's guys are re-coating the stairs today, so we can't get up there today. Tomorrow we have our own stuff to do, so hopefully Thursday we will wrap it all up.
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #364
Pinkocto

Quote:
Miami hotels are so expensive. We'll over $22 for the night. It does include the shuttle to the port though. I booked the Hampton just in case but if we fly into Fort Lauderdale, which we are, that's a bust because I think the hotel is at the airport.

They're so expensive, I just wasn't expecting this. I'm going to hold out for a deal, I really don't want to pay more than $100, we'll see if that's possible.

Quote:
I agree to not fly in the morning of. I'd love to fly in Friday and maybe stay with our friends in Coconut Grove for 2 nights but we never know if they'll be home. I don't want to stay there with the many and kids.
They can't guarantee they'll be home?

Quote:
That's about what time we'll land too. I tried to buy our flights today but because Joshua's ticket was bought in part with some old credits, the whole amount has to be flown by 9/20 so were going to use it for business for Michael. I have to wait until I get home to book because I need more points and the points part of SW is firewalls for some odd reason.
Quote:
Bummer, but at least you won't lose that $50.

Quote:

Are you going to go to WDW after then? I'm so envious. Joshua doesn't want to miss more school so I'm trying to see if it'd be worth it to go for just two nights. I mean, I guess it's always worth it. We'd just do resort time unless some windfall of money comes unexpectedly.
Well I thought about just flying home but I'm sure I'll regret leaving the Florida warmth earlier than necessary. I think two nights is definitely worth it!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14
Old 06-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #365
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
It was a place called Harvey's in HB. Not great but we got $100 off dinner and the certificate cost $50 and had to be used by a party of four. It's Fran who finds the deals not me!

Well she's good at it. Glad you had a good night and some downtime.

Quote:
It's a unique building too. The only small complex over there. They will rent, I just want to get good tenants in there. No whiners, trouble makers or deadbeats.

For sure, I cannot even imagine the headache that renting can be. You have other properties too, right? Have there been a ton of deadbeats etc?

Quote:
No, every construction project in Long Beach has to appear apply for permits etc. Our building happens to be located in a historic district so we have to appear before the historic commission, however our architect has complied with all the requests of the city, so the city is recommending approval.

Ok so she found out about it and is going to show up? That's great that the city is recommending approval.

Quote:
Yesterday we got all the blinds up in #4. I have to size the bathroom horizontal blind, but the verticals are done. We have to get a curtain for the front door, but we're thinking Anna's for that. The contractor's guys are re-coating the stairs today, so we can't get up there today. Tomorrow we have our own stuff to do, so hopefully Thursday we will wrap it all up.

Its moving right along. Hope today went as planned. You'll have them rented in no time.

Quote:
They're so expensive, I just wasn't expecting this. I'm going to hold out for a deal, I really don't want to pay more than $100, we'll see if that's possible.

I wasn't either. I guess it's supply and demand. We have to be right there basically so they can change what they want. My friend is a manager at a local Hilton and can share her friends and family discount. I'll let you know if I have any luck. Are you seeing anything decent for even under $150?

Quote:
They can't guarantee they'll be home?

They both travel extensively for work and very last minute so I wouldn't know for sure that they'd be home until about 3 weeks before, maybe less.

Quote:
Bummer, but at least you won't lose that $50.

No, I lose it. The first rep was misinformed. This is the first poor experience I've had with SW customer service.

Quote:
Well I thought about just flying home but I'm sure I'll regret leaving the Florida warmth earlier than necessary. I think two nights is definitely worth it!

I agree. I'm hoping we can stay until Sunday. Have you decided on OKW for sure?

Old 06-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #366
Pinkocto

Quote:

I wasn't either. I guess it's supply and demand. We have to be right there basically so they can change what they want. My friend is a manager at a local Hilton and can share her friends and family discount. I'll let you know if I have any luck. Are you seeing anything decent for even under $150?
Thank you there are a few that don't look quite as frightening under $150. Red Roof Inn near FLL is $85.99, it's pretty stark but for only one night I'm thinking I could be ok. I'm going to keep looking though.

Quote:

They both travel extensively for work and very last minute so I wouldn't know for sure that they'd be home until about 3 weeks before, maybe less.
Ohhh, that's too bad. Is it close enough that it would be worth it to save the money? I know you said you didn't want to stay there without them though.

Quote:
No, I lose it. The first rep was misinformed. This is the first poor experience I've had with SW customer service.
Oh no!!! I'm sorry

Quote:
I agree. I'm hoping we can stay until Sunday. Have you decided on OKW for sure?
I'm still being wishy washy. I would love to be close to DTD but since I'll have the car will it really matter where I stay. AKV is my absolute favorite but would like a change of food options. Epcot isn't my favorite park so do I really want to stay at BCV or BWV. I really liked OKW but would like a 1BR for the jacuzzi. But then again I could use the hot tubs and save points. It shouldn't be this difficult by the time I decide they'll all be taken...

Old 06-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #367
rentayenta

Quote:
Thank you there are a few that don't look quite as frightening under $150. Red Roof Inn near FLL is $85.99, it's pretty stark but for only one night I'm thinking I could be ok. I'm going to keep looking though.

Thats not bad. So you'll just use the transportation company the following morning. I guess there's really no hurry. Plus it'll be a Sunday so you won't have to worry about much traffic.

Quote:
Ohhh, that's too bad. Is it close enough that it would be worth it to save the money? I know you said you didn't want to stay there without them though.

We could stay there without them but then we'd be with the kids and nanny. No thanks.

Quote:
Oh no!!! I'm sorry

Its okay. If he goes to camp next year he won't be an unaccompanied minor so I won't have to deal with the fee if he cancels.

Quote:
I'm still being wishy washy. I would love to be close to DTD but since I'll have the car will it really matter where I stay. AKV is my absolute favorite but would like a change of food options. Epcot isn't my favorite park so do I really want to stay at BCV or BWV. I really liked OKW but would like a 1BR for the jacuzzi. But then again I could use the hot tubs and save points. It shouldn't be this difficult by the time I decide they'll all be taken...

Epcot isn't your favorite? Mine either. I have yet to hear many people say that.

What's the points difference between the studio and 1 bedroom? The jacuzzi is tough to give up that's for sure. A good book, some chill time.....heaven!

We haven't counted down so today we're at

206 days!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #368
Pinkocto

Quote:
Thats not bad. So you'll just use the transportation company the following morning. I guess there's really no hurry. Plus it'll be a Sunday so you won't have to worry about much traffic.
Yes, they pick up at FLL and FL hotels for $16 per person. It was about a 45 minute drive to Miami.

Quote:
We could stay there without them but then we'd be with the kids and nanny. No thanks.
No, that doesn't seem like a fun way to start vacation.

Quote:

Epcot isn't your favorite? Mine either. I have yet to hear many people say that.

I don't hear many people say it either. Now at Christmas it's another story, I loved hearing all the holiday stories around the world. The other parks are pretty much a three way tie.

Quote:
What's the points difference between the studio and 1 bedroom? The jacuzzi is tough to give up that's for sure. A good book, some chill time.....heaven!
It's a 26 point difference for the two nights. The studio would be 26 points and the 1BR 52 points. Of course now I'm thinking about how much I love sitting on the balcony and watching the animals at AKV I'm hopeless!

Quote:
We haven't counted down so today we're at

206 days!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #369
Pinkocto

Ok, decision made and OKW 1BR booked. Whew! That was strenuous

Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #370
rentayenta

Quote:
Yes, they pick up at FLL and FL hotels for $16 per person. It was about a 45 minute drive to Miami.

Thats a great price. And then you'll rent a car in Miami to drive to WDW!

Quote:
No, that doesn't seem like a fun way to start vacation.

Here's my motto.......no one thinks my kids are as cute as I do and same goes for other people's kids. No one thinks your (the collective your) kids are as cute as you think they are. It's true. I totally get that.

Quote:
I don't hear many people say it either. Now at Christmas it's another story, I loved hearing all the holiday stories around the world. The other parks are pretty much a three way tie.

I haven't been to WDW during the holidays. One day. Hoping for Christmas 2014....maybe. There or Disneyland. Fingers crossed. This year fell through but with good reason: the cruise.

Quote:
It's a 26 point difference for the two nights. The studio would be 26 points and the 1BR 52 points. Of course now I'm thinking about how much I love sitting on the balcony and watching the animals at AKV I'm hopeless!

Id pretend I don't know the outcome but I do.

Quote:
Ok, decision made and OKW 1BR booked. Whew! That was strenuous

Good for you! Spoil yourself a little. A one bedroom feels so much more luxurious for some reason. Woot woot. And you can go to the Gurgling Suitcase. Love the OKW pool area.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #372
Pinkocto

Quote:
Thats a great price. And then you'll rent a car in Miami to drive to WDW!
And we'll see if I regret that decision any money I saved with mom not coming has been used up with the hotel and car. Oh well, I shouldn't be nickel and diming everything. It's going to be an adventure

Quote:
Here's my motto.......no one thinks my kids are as cute as I do and same goes for other people's kids. No one thinks your (the collective your) kids are as cute as you think they are. It's true. I totally get that.
Now you might be one of the only parents I know to acknowledge this, I'm impressed!

Quote:
I haven't been to WDW during the holidays. One day. Hoping for Christmas 2014....maybe. There or Disneyland. Fingers crossed. This year fell through but with good reason: the cruise.
One day soon I hope it's truly magical during the holidays. I'm sorry this year didn't work out.

Quote:

Id pretend I don't know the outcome but I do.

Good for you! Spoil yourself a little. A one bedroom feels so much more luxurious for some reason. Woot woot. And you can go to the Gurgling Suitcase. Love the OKW pool area.
Now that it's booked I'm really excited I'll have to bank some points next year, so thought I might as well use some as a treat

Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #373
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Well it's less points than most other 1B's so you saved simply;y by being there! Plus it's OKW...

I'd take a 1B over a studio any day if I have the points!
I figured the same thing. If I stayed anywhere else the points for a studio are more. So the two nights in the 1BR were not that much more than a studio anywhere else, except BWV and AKV standard view. There was some major fuzzy calculating going on

Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #374
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:

I figured the same thing. If I stayed anywhere else the points for a studio are more. So the two nights in the 1BR were not that much more than a studio anywhere else, except BWV and AKV standard view. There was some major fuzzy calculating going on
Which may not have even been available! I fully support and enable fuzzy Disney math!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #375
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Which may not have even been available! I fully support and enable fuzzy Disney math!
Admittedly I didn't look at availability, just checked all the points charts

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: