Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran
 
disneybliss2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,326

Help with calculating dining costs

I'm trying to compare the cost of the dining plan vs. oop. When I go to allears, I'm using the menus and prices of each item to make my calculations. I'm having trouble determining the cost of buffets, because the prices are listed by a range. For example, Akershus is priced at 46.85-55.37. It states the price varies between season and day of the week. There's almost a $10 range there which is making it difficult to determine the amount to calculate. Other places, like 'Ohana has a $6.30 range, Boma, etc. (buffets)

We go in June so I know it would have the summer season rate; I just don't know what that is. I don't think it's the very peak (holidays maybe?).

Any advice on picking an accurate amount to get a pretty close estimate?

Also, are you charged for water at table service restaurants, such as Tutto Italia, etc. I see a price for sparkling mineral water, so if I order water I assume I'll pay $5? Yikes!

Last edited by disneybliss2; 06-26-2013 at 03:25 PM.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
bdklein
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a House
Posts: 1,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybliss2 View Post
I'm trying to compare the cost of the dining plan vs. oop. When I go to allears, I'm using the menus and prices of each item to make my calculations. I'm having trouble determining the cost of buffets, because the prices are listed by a range. For example, Akershus is priced at 46.85-55.37. It states the price varies between season and day of the week. There's almost a $10 range there which is making it difficult to determine the amount to calculate. Other places, like 'Ohana has a $6.30 range, Boma, etc. (buffets)

We go in June so I know it would have the summer season rate; I just don't know what that is. I don't think it's the very peak (holidays maybe?).

Any advice on picking an accurate amount to get a pretty close estimate?
How many under 10 years old and how many 10 and older?
That's the place to start.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran
 
disneybliss2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,326

3 above 10
1 under 10

There's also a range for the under 10 age too though. It's not as big of a spread though so I could take the median and feel safe. Some of the ranges on the adult buffets vary a lot though which could greatly skew one's calculations.

Still...how do I determine the closest amount that the buffet (or even Akershus that's not a buffet but doesn't have entrees priced individually, rather a range is given) will actually cost? Take the median and hope I'm lucky?
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
bdklein
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a House
Posts: 1,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybliss2 View Post
:Also, are you charged for water at table service restaurants, such as Tutto Italia, etc. I see a price for sparkling mineral water, so if I order water I assume I'll pay $5? Yikes!
If you order regular filtered water, there is no charge. And water is free at any quick service location, even if you do not get any food there.
There is charge for "specialty water" like at any French/Italian restaurant, at WDW or not.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran
 
disneybliss2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
If you order regular filtered water, there is no charge. And water is free at any quick service location, even if you do not get any food there.
There is charge for "specialty water" like at any French/Italian restaurant, at WDW or not.
Perfect! Regular water works for me!
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
bdklein
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a House
Posts: 1,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybliss2 View Post
3 above 10
1 under 10

There's also a range for the under 10 age too though. It's not as big of a spread though so I could take the median and feel safe. Some of the ranges on the adult buffets vary a lot though which could greatly skew one's calculations.

Still...how do I determine the closest amount that the buffet (or even Akershus that's not a buffet but doesn't have entrees priced individually, rather a range is given) will actually cost? Take the median and hope I'm lucky?
With only 1 under 10, unless you really like desserts with your meals, and will use the refillable mugs at your resort, it is highly doubtful you will save any money if at all. I say go OOP, but I am anti-dining plan for several reasons.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern California-30 min. from DLand
Posts: 10,943

This is from mousesavers.com

Quote:
The dates of upcharges for on-site buffet/character meal in 2013 are: 2/14/13 – 2/23/13, 3/8/13 – 4/6/13, 5/31/13 – 8/3/13, 12/13/13 – 12/31/13.
So anytime in June will pay an upcharge, the higher price. Hope this helps with your numbers.
__________________
11-839-986-994-00 6-0212-03 9-041-05 DDP 9-05 DDP 1-06 9-06 DDP9-07 DDP 9-08 DDP 9-09 DDP 9-10 QSDP! 10-11 QSDP, 10-12 QSDP AND AoA!1-14 NO DDP! POFQ
**CLICK HERE FOR 2014 CONFIRMED SNACKS LIST!**GOING BACK SEPT. 2014!!!
**
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran
 
disneybliss2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneydaz View Post
This is from mousesavers.com



So anytime in June will pay an upcharge, the higher price. Hope this helps with your numbers.
Thank you! I'll go with the higher price then. I'm a bit surprised because I thought it would be close to the high price but a teeny, tiny smidge less. I searched and found the various categories Disney has for the various times of year...value, peak, summer, etc. I figured since summer was classified as summer and not peak during the holidays that it would be slightly less. I'll use the highest price to calculate now.

Thanks again!
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran
 
disneybliss2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,326

What a coincidence! I ran across another thread on the restaurant board (main one) and a poster included this thread link that lists the prices of the buffets and what the cost is at various times of the year. Very helpful! I'll post it here in case others need it.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3108466
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
sfromma
Earning My Ears
 
sfromma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 57

[IMG]Lt[/IMG]
__________________

CBR 2010; CBR 2011; BLT 2012; BCV October 2013
sfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
navywifetill2002
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belton MO
Posts: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybliss2 View Post
I'm trying to compare the cost of the dining plan vs. oop. When I go to allears, I'm using the menus and prices of each item to make my calculations. I'm having trouble determining the cost of buffets, because the prices are listed by a range. For example, Akershus is priced at 46.85-55.37. It states the price varies between season and day of the week. There's almost a $10 range there which is making it difficult to determine the amount to calculate. Other places, like 'Ohana has a $6.30 range, Boma, etc. (buffets)

We go in June so I know it would have the summer season rate; I just don't know what that is. I don't think it's the very peak (holidays maybe?).

Any advice on picking an accurate amount to get a pretty close estimate?

Also, are you charged for water at table service restaurants, such as Tutto Italia, etc. I see a price for sparkling mineral water, so if I order water I assume I'll pay $5? Yikes!
Akershus is a fixed price meal. Everyone pays the same amount and gets the starter bar and choice if entree from the menu. Dessert is brought out at the end and its family style. The photo package is also included with this meal (1 for a party of 4).
navywifetill2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
nlyons75
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 20

Not sure if I can post a link or not, but if you google "see ya real soon dining calculator", the first link is a website where you can download a spreadsheet where you input where you are planning on eating each day and it will calculate what the cost would be oop as compared to ddp. There's an instructional video that walks you through how to navigate the spreadsheet. The site does require you to register your email address, but the spreadsheet is awesome.

Last edited by nlyons75; 07-02-2013 at 01:03 PM.
nlyons75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
Disneytwinsmom
DIS Veteran
 
Disneytwinsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlyons75 View Post
Not sure if I can post a link or not, but if you google "see ya real soon dining calculator", the first link is a website where you can download a spreadsheet where you input where you are planning on eating each day and it will calculate what the cost would be oop as compared to ddp. There's an instructional video that walks you through how to navigate the spreadsheet. The site does require you to register your email address, but the spreadsheet is awesome.


Thanks for sharing this! very helpful!
__________________
Disneytwinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran
 
disneybliss2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifetill2002 View Post
Akershus is a fixed price meal. Everyone pays the same amount and gets the starter bar and choice if entree from the menu. Dessert is brought out at the end and its family style. The photo package is also included with this meal (1 for a party of 4).
Yes, I realize it's a fixed meal price (we've eaten there many times--love it!) but the price varies based on the season. Allears posted the range, which had a $10 difference, of pricing based on seasons, holidays, day of week, etc. but I didn't know what the specific price would be during the time of year we visit WDW. I was trying to get more accurate with my calculations. Since we have 3 "adults" in Disney's eyes now, $10 off on calculations x 3 can make a difference in my numbers.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran
 
disneybliss2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlyons75 View Post
Not sure if I can post a link or not, but if you google "see ya real soon dining calculator", the first link is a website where you can download a spreadsheet where you input where you are planning on eating each day and it will calculate what the cost would be oop as compared to ddp. There's an instructional video that walks you through how to navigate the spreadsheet. The site does require you to register your email address, but the spreadsheet is awesome.
Interesting! Sounds helpful! I may put that tool to work. Thanks for sharing!
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.