Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
maddiebee
DIS Veteran

This will be our first trip onsite and we've never been to the resort we're staying at (ASMu) and I'm wondering how much of a difference what room you have is? We're are two adults and I think my only preference would to be close to the bus, but again, does it make a huge difference? Is it big enough that the walk to places like the bus/pool really differs?
Thanks!

Eta: I'm also wondering if we would benefit from online check in, since I don't have a huge preference of where we are and want to head to the parks ASAP. Well be arriving around 11am.
maddiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I think the preferred location is worth the extra cost. It puts you that much closer to the bus stops and food court and gift shops. It is especially nice when it is really hot or really cold out!

If you don't care where your room is located, then on line check in is perfect for you! They will assign you a room that is ready when you are due to arrive. All you have to do is pick up your packet and go! Actually that is the only time when I would recommend doing on line check in, when you don't care where your room ends up.
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

ASMu it does matter. I would pay the extra to be closer.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 7x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 14x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

For us saving a few minutes walking is not worth paying more $$, unless you have some sort of health issue.

DW DH DD(9) DD(4)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
maddiebee
DIS Veteran

How long of a walk is it? How long does it take the walk across the whole resort?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiebee View Post
How long of a walk is it? How long does it take the walk across the whole resort?
I'd guess maybe 10 minutes, if you are at the back of the resort. That 10 minutes may not seem like much, but when the weather is extremely hot or extremely cold, it seems like a long time! My last stay at ASMu was in 2010 when they had that record cold snap in December. I can tell you that walk from my room to the bus stop seemed to last forever! And it made popping over to get my mug filled at the food court out of the question.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
maddiebee
DIS Veteran

What section should I ask for that would be close to the bus but not have to be in a preferred room?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I"ve done a preferred and a non preferred at ASMu.

Frankly I was fine with both.

The first time I was in Calypso and on the backside away from the pool. It was nice to be close (parent's were with me for that trip so they appreciated the shorter walk). It wasn't too noisy and we were actually kinda equal distance from food/bus and the lot where I parked. It was $10 bucks more per night at the time and worth it.

Second time I was in Country Fair and doing a solo stay, the location is at least straight back (broadway is back and then to the left) and was a really easy walk. I was on the back side away from the quiet pool and even when they were playing music I didn't hear it. I thought the walk was completly managable.

I"d probably not do a preferred if I didn't have to worry about kids/grandparents. I think it is a managable size walk (5 min leisurly pace, and frankly I prefer being away from the main pool.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiebee View Post
What section should I ask for that would be close to the bus but not have to be in a preferred room?
Ask for Jazz Inn. But keep in mind you are only requesting a location. It is just as possible that you could end up back in Country Fair. I like the All Star Music but I have no luck getting my requests met whenever I stay there.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

ASMu is my favorite value! To ME it is not worth the money for a preferred room. 7 min tops from any location (and I don't walk briskly) to main building. Also, if you have a preferred room you may be facing the pool, which can be rather noisy if you like an afternoon nap.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Actually Jazz and Calypso are both preferred buildings that you have to pay extra to be in. They have family suites and preferred rooms in those 4 buildings.

If you plan on having a refillable mug or if you are going to be eating at the food court I would definitely pay for the preferred room.

Otherwise if you are only willing to pay for the standard room you could be anywhere. I would call and request they add a room request to your reservation and ask to be placed near a bus stop if you are going to be using the buses.

Asking to be close to the food court is really not going to get you close to the food court because the closest they would put you is the third building back past Calypso and Jazz. That wouldn't be too bad. But if you are all the way at the back I think it would suck.

I wouldn't ever stay there without getting a preferred room. But our kids use their mugs and we eat breakfast in the food court every day and may occasionally go there for a quick dinner on the nights we don't have ADRs.

I will be walking a thousand miles every day in the parks so I don't want to be walking forever at my resort either.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Babsy
DIS Veteran

ASMu spreads back away from the main building quite a ways, but it really is less than a 10 minute walk to any room. That isn'tba huge problem for many people, but some prefer to be close to the action. THere is only one bus stop at the ASMu so if you are in a preferred building you are close to check in, food court, bus stop gift store, etc. If you aren't in a preferred room, you have a walk to it all.

It is up to you if it is worth the extra $$ to stay close. The Calypso buildings are preferred and the Jazz Inn are the suites, I think? There may be some preferred rooms in Jazz as well, but I'm not sure of this.

I have stayed in Jazz (before suites), Calypso (can be noisy, but convenient) and CountryFair (quiet, but a walk). I liked all the rooms for different reasons. If you book preferred be sure to ask for a room facing away from the main pool to aviod noise issues.

I love ASMu. It is my favourite All Star resort for adults. The JAzz Inn area is the absolute best! It is close to the main building, borders a lovely rose garden, and is away from the noisy main pool. Heaven in a value resort, IMHO. ALMOST as good as a moderate resort.

If being close to buses is important and you don't want to book a preferred room with the additional cost, perhaps sports or movies might be a better bet. The rooms at these are laid out differently so that the furthest rooms are not as far away from the main building and buses as at ASMu.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

We stayed in Jazz and it was great. We didn't pay extra so maybe we had one of the non preferred rooms in that building, but it was a quick hop to the main hall and the bus. Plus we love Jazz so the music piped in around our building was awesome. Enjoy!
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #14
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
Actually Jazz and Calypso are both preferred buildings that you have to pay extra to be in. They have family suites and preferred rooms in those 4 buildings.
That is what I had thought too, but when I checked All Ears it only lists Jazz as the preferred section.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #15
strmtroopr96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
That is what I had thought too, but when I checked All Ears it only lists Jazz as the preferred section.
I have only heard that Calypso are the actual Preferred buildings but that both Calypso and Jazz are where the suites are located.
'77 FW'89 Disneyland'91 Poly'94 CBR'96 ASMusic 1997 WDW College Program~~Merchandise @ World of Disney~~Vistaway 3811'97 Shades of Green'97 Dixie Landings'00 ASsports'02 POR'03 ASMovies'04 Pop '05 Pop'05 ASMovies'06 Pop '07 Pop '08 ASMovies '09 Pop '10 Coronado Springs '11 Pop '12 POFQ '13 Pop '13 Pop '14 POFQ
strmtroopr96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: