Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #121
LoKiHB
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 176

People that work for Disney are there because they chose to apply for the job. To the best of my knowledge, Disney Corporation does not impose a draft.

That being said, they are human beings. Not everyone is going to have a great day every day. People have lives outside of work, and whether or not anyone deems it acceptable, our personal lives do leak into our work day.

Everyone has their breaking point. Our family was there back in May, and we spent two days at SWW, and the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend at MK. It was VERY crowded. I didn't come across ONE rude CM the entire week. I DID however witness many rude guests. I also witnessed CM's handling those guests in a very professional manner.

I'm not saying that rude guests entitle CM's to be rude in return, but I know that some people can be downright mean when they don't get their way.

I will be the first to admit that I am not the most patient person, but I always make sure I am nice and polite to anyone in any type of service position, because I've BEEN that person. I know first hand how hard it is to keep your cool or check your tongue when dealing with rude people. I also know that because my personal life is not going well on a particular day that while I might not have been my normal self, letting it show through as the dominant part of my personality was not acceptable.

It's a give and take.

I believe that what we see in Disney is a microcosm of the way the rest of the world is in general.

In my opinion... The world needs a drink! Everyone should just RELAX!!!
__________________


"Come to the Dark Side. We have cookies"
LoKiHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #122
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 4,520

I have an odd and sarcastic sense of humor.

There have been times a CM has made a comment to me that I have laughed at then I immediately thought to myself that someone could have very easily taken that the wrong way and not gotten the humor.

And lord knows that on the DIS, people can't usually make any kind of a humorous post without many taking it as 'rude'.

Heck, on the DIS I have seen on the parade threads people say "I can't wait until someone tries to push in front of me."

Many people here are looking for reasons to be offended.

I've been on the Dis for 13 years, up until the last few months I don't EVER remember reading the word "rude" here. Lately I can't read 6 posts without seeing that word.

If you are looking for rude, you're gonna find it.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #123
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post

Many people here are looking for reasons to be offended.

I've been on the Dis for 13 years, up until the last few months I don't EVER remember reading the word "rude" here. Lately I can't read 6 posts without seeing that word.

If you are looking for rude, you're gonna find it.
Agreed.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #124
Flamingomo
Jack Sparrow's Wench...and proud of it. Its Flamingo Mo. Sorry to disappoint.
 
Flamingomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wherever the Black Pearl takes me
Posts: 643

There is never an excuse to be rude to any customer/guest/employee at work, especially if they aren't being rude to you. You don't take your personal problems to work. PERIOD. Leave them at the door. If you need to step away for a moment, then do it.

Now if people are breaking rules such as cutting lines or causing a scene, then by all means do what you need to do to handle the situation, but in a calm way, and if you can't handle it, get help.

Just because Disney CM's are underpaid, tired, hot, etc. does not give them the right to ever be rude to anyone. They took the job knowing the pay, the conditions and the expectations. If they are not happy, they need to leave and find another job that doesn't care about their bad attitudes.

__________________
First trip to Disney 1977 Honeymoon 1995 Just the two of us again 1999 1st trip with our boys 2005 Awesome time in December 2007!!! Dec 2010 too much sickness February 2012 Birthday Trip!
DH 47 Me 45 DS 13 DS 10DS 4
Flamingomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #125
Epeyon
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
There is never an excuse to be rude to any customer/guest/employee at work, especially if they aren't being rude to you. You don't take your personal problems to work. PERIOD. Leave them at the door. If you need to step away for a moment, then do it.

Now if people are breaking rules such as cutting lines or causing a scene, then by all means do what you need to do to handle the situation, but in a calm way, and if you can't handle it, get help.

Just because Disney CM's are underpaid, tired, hot, etc. does not give them the right to ever be rude to anyone. They took the job knowing the pay, the conditions and the expectations. If they are not happy, they need to leave and find another job that doesn't care about their bad attitudes.

Your understanding of how Disney works is clearly flawed. there is no opportunity to "step away for a moment." From the second you walk onstage until the second you're backstage you're required to be perky happy and welcoming. You cannot just ask for a moment away. You cannot just go into a stockroom or go into the kitchen. Most cast members can't afford to leave work early, they can't afford to call-in because of personal issues.

Many of them are young and immature and still learning how to work in a professional environment. And sometimes that means leaving it at home isn't an option.

As far as getting help, help isn't always available. Disney runs with a bare minimum of overhead, staffing is always tight. Frequently there is only one cast member at a location that has a radio device, excepting the manager and coordinator. And that one radio is the only way of reaching security. So when there are problems in lines or out front of attractions the cast member there must call back to their ride control who then makes the call for security or for a manager. So naturally in the 10 minutes that it takes for a response the cast member has gone from calmly handling a situation to trying to handle a situation that is out of control. And now they're trying to prevent it from escalating even further so they're getting louder, more forceful, more "rude."

As far as finding another job goes. It isn't easy in Orlando. Orlando is a large city with an economy built only around the service industry. Orlando has a large population of individuals who are not highly educated. Orlando doesn't have a lot of jobs that offer health insurance, benefits, steady hours or full time work. Disney does offer this. Nobody's leaving Disney unless they have to. Leaving a job because you're not happy is a luxury most people can't afford.

Now regarding why cast members come across as "rude."

Disney is a magical place. Disney is a place where you come to have fun and relax with your family. It's a place where you make memories.

It's also a dangerous and potentially deadly place. A place where the only thing between you and a serious injury is a 20-year-old kid being paid $7.50 per hour. A 20-year-old kid who for six months is seeing more people in a day than their hometown has living in it. This 20 year old is now required to control 100's of people by themselves. They have to make sure nobody is sitting in the street as a parade goes by, since if somebody's legs are too far out or a kid goes running a dancer can trip, the dancer trips and falls into the elderly couple enjoying the parade, somebody breaks a hip or hits their head. Or the dancer trips and the floats don't stop and now the dancer is crushed.

They have to make sure people aren't putting their kids on trashcans, because what happens when that trash can is bumped into, or the parent looks away and the child's balance is lost and they take a nosedive into the pavement. Or because now another family 10 ft. away sees a kid on the trash can, so they stand their kid up on a railing that's not rated for more than decoration.

This 20-year-old kid knows this, and they also know that unless they get you to stop what you're doing everybody else around will start doing the same thing. It's the kid versus a hundred. And if he shows an inch of leniency everybody will take a mile. Putting themselves and others in danger.

Disney isn't magical about safety. Disney takes safety very seriously. Just because you might not realize it's a safety concern doesn't mean it isn't. So cast members are very touchy about safety concerns, and will enforce them. And often they are quick and brusk about it, seemingly "rude." But only because if they're not, people won't listen. And when people don't listen at Disney they do get hurt.
Epeyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #126
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,096

I had an interesting encounter at the Concierge Desk at POR around 1:00 pm last Sunday.

There were three cast members waiting on people.

The guy to my left was requesting a reservation for HDDR; the cast member asked if he was making reservations for his next trip and he said he wanted them for 6 pm that night! She very politely told him that reservations for those kinds of shows need to be made well in advance, and she would be more than happy to help him find other dining reservations for that night if he needed them. He basically screamed at her that he couldn't believe they couldn't make reservations whenever they wanted. Again, the CM very politely tried to help him, but he kept at it. He finally flipped her off and left.

The guy to my right was screaming at the top of his lungs about the horrible bus service. He said he had waited two hours for a bus to AK. I thought that couldn't be possible. He was angry because he decided to rent a car - and the Car Care Center said they needed 24 hour notice - which is the policy of Alamo. They had only been in town for 16 hours and had no idea they would going to need a car. He screamed an obscenity, that I will never repeat, basically about how such and such could do a better job of getting buses around. My suspicion was that he got impatient after a bit and kept coming inside to see where the buses were and it probably came along at that time (he claimed that had been his fourth trip inside to complain....).

A group of kids were standing behind me, apparently wanting to do a pin trade. Two of the smaller kids got on either side of me with their chins on the counter and kept bumping into me..... I finally told them the CM was handling personal information regarding my account and they would have to go back and stand in line where it says "wait here for next available CM." They proceeded to tell their parents I was very rude to them and the parents chided me for not letting them in line. When I explained what I was doing there, they shrugged their shoulders and walked away, telling the kids they would go somewhere else to pin trade where there weren't such rude people......

And what was I doing there. I discovered at my first trip to the park that morning, that my card (somewhere) was switched with another guest and I had been using my pin number on their card all over the place. Which means they had my card and could possibly use their pin. I was there for a very legitimate reason.......who knew what the other person was doing with my card? Turned out I was able to make three transactions on her card and she only made the one on my card, so all was well. And the CM could not have been nicer and she even called out the manager to fill out a report regarding the RFID issue on both my card and the other person's card. They filled out a report and gave me a copy of it, so I could also write Disney a letter regarding the issue.

So there I was with a legitimate issue, having no issues whatsoever with their service to rectify the problem and the other two people were getting way out of hand - they were downright rude to the CM's.

So it is correct that sometimes people dish it out more than necessary..... and how those people deal with it day in and day out is unbelievable. My hats off to the CM's at Disney.
__________________

Last edited by Missytara; 06-25-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #127
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob nc View Post
i have an odd and sarcastic sense of humor.

There have been times a cm has made a comment to me that i have laughed at then i immediately thought to myself that someone could have very easily taken that the wrong way and not gotten the humor.

And lord knows that on the dis, people can't usually make any kind of a humorous post without many taking it as 'rude'.

Heck, on the dis i have seen on the parade threads people say "i can't wait until someone tries to push in front of me."

many people here are looking for reasons to be offended.

i've been on the dis for 13 years, up until the last few months i don't ever remember reading the word "rude" here. Lately i can't read 6 posts without seeing that word.


if you are looking for rude, you're gonna find it.



I totally agree bob!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #128
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 11,918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epeyon View Post
Your understanding of how Disney works is clearly flawed. there is no opportunity to "step away for a moment." From the second you walk onstage until the second you're backstage you're required to be perky happy and welcoming. You cannot just ask for a moment away. You cannot just go into a stockroom or go into the kitchen. Most cast members can't afford to leave work early, they can't afford to call-in because of personal issues.

Many of them are young and immature and still learning how to work in a professional environment. And sometimes that means leaving it at home isn't an option.

As far as getting help, help isn't always available. Disney runs with a bare minimum of overhead, staffing is always tight. Frequently there is only one cast member at a location that has a radio device, excepting the manager and coordinator. And that one radio is the only way of reaching security. So when there are problems in lines or out front of attractions the cast member there must call back to their ride control who then makes the call for security or for a manager. So naturally in the 10 minutes that it takes for a response the cast member has gone from calmly handling a situation to trying to handle a situation that is out of control. And now they're trying to prevent it from escalating even further so they're getting louder, more forceful, more "rude."

As far as finding another job goes. It isn't easy in Orlando. Orlando is a large city with an economy built only around the service industry. Orlando has a large population of individuals who are not highly educated. Orlando doesn't have a lot of jobs that offer health insurance, benefits, steady hours or full time work. Disney does offer this. Nobody's leaving Disney unless they have to. Leaving a job because you're not happy is a luxury most people can't afford.

Now regarding why cast members come across as "rude."

Disney is a magical place. Disney is a place where you come to have fun and relax with your family. It's a place where you make memories.

It's also a dangerous and potentially deadly place. A place where the only thing between you and a serious injury is a 20-year-old kid being paid $7.50 per hour. A 20-year-old kid who for six months is seeing more people in a day than their hometown has living in it. This 20 year old is now required to control 100's of people by themselves. They have to make sure nobody is sitting in the street as a parade goes by, since if somebody's legs are too far out or a kid goes running a dancer can trip, the dancer trips and falls into the elderly couple enjoying the parade, somebody breaks a hip or hits their head. Or the dancer trips and the floats don't stop and now the dancer is crushed.

They have to make sure people aren't putting their kids on trashcans, because what happens when that trash can is bumped into, or the parent looks away and the child's balance is lost and they take a nosedive into the pavement. Or because now another family 10 ft. away sees a kid on the trash can, so they stand their kid up on a railing that's not rated for more than decoration.

This 20-year-old kid knows this, and they also know that unless they get you to stop what you're doing everybody else around will start doing the same thing. It's the kid versus a hundred. And if he shows an inch of leniency everybody will take a mile. Putting themselves and others in danger.

Disney isn't magical about safety. Disney takes safety very seriously. Just because you might not realize it's a safety concern doesn't mean it isn't. So cast members are very touchy about safety concerns, and will enforce them. And often they are quick and brusk about it, seemingly "rude." But only because if they're not, people won't listen. And when people don't listen at Disney they do get hurt.
I think your understanding of how Disney works is a bit flawed as well. While it's not as simple as Flamingomo states it, it's not nearly as dire as your description either. It's actually somewhere in the middle.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #129
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
There is never an excuse to be rude to any customer/guest/employee at work, especially if they aren't being rude to you. You don't take your personal problems to work. PERIOD. Leave them at the door. If you need to step away for a moment, then do it.

Now if people are breaking rules such as cutting lines or causing a scene, then by all means do what you need to do to handle the situation, but in a calm way, and if you can't handle it, get help.

Just because Disney CM's are underpaid, tired, hot, etc. does not give them the right to ever be rude to anyone. They took the job knowing the pay, the conditions and the expectations. If they are not happy, they need to leave and find another job that doesn't care about their bad attitudes.

In the 30 something years of trips to WDW and DK, we have never had or seen a rude CM.

I have seen many rude, and threating guests to CM's. I have seen CM keeping there kool over and above the call of duty!

I disagree that the customer is always right, I have seen guests way over the line!


Frankly I have become very leery of the *rude CM* posts. While I am sure some are real and a honest statement of the facts, I also truly believe many was at best just someone looking for attention on the board and at the worse............flat out lies!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #130
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot
 
Cyrano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 6,800Km from our happy place
Posts: 31,818
DISboards Moderator

Moving to TP Community as this is not about trip planning
__________________
Reid

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #131
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran
 
LucyBC80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
The guy to my right was screaming at the top of his lungs about the horrible bus service. He said he had waited two hours for a bus to AK. I thought that couldn't be possible.
I just want to comment on the bolded part. I believe it to be true because it has happened to me over at POFQ. We had a 8:05AM reservation at Tusker House and knowing how unpredictable the buses to AK are, we got to the bus stop at 6:20. A little overkill maybe but better safe than sorry right? We saw many MK buses, a lot of EPCOT buses, even some DHS buses and a couple of buses to the water park but not ONE bus to AK. The drivers called for an AK bus more than once but the bus came at exactly 7:48. I remember it very well because I was terribly upset I was gonna miss my reservation, which was the one I was most looking forward to. We got to AK at 8:10AM after the bus did the circuit at POR, ran full speed ahead and they let us in at TH. I did go to POFQ guest services when we got back and explained the whole ordeal and they were extremely sorry for our trouble but had I missed my ADR I would have been truly MAD.

Do I agree with his reaction of screaming and blaming the CM? NO. But don't say it's not possible to wait a long time for a AK bus because it is.
__________________
Me => Mom =>

Last edited by LucyBC80; 06-25-2013 at 06:27 PM.
LucyBC80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #132
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBC80 View Post
I just want to comment on the bolded part. I believe it to be true because it has happened to me over at POFQ. We had a 8:05AM reservation at Tusker House and knowing how unpredictable the buses to AK are, we got to the bus stop at 6:20. A little overkill maybe but better safe than sorry right?
Actually Disney recommends you budget 90 minutes to get to an ADR. So you were timing it just right. It never fails that when you want to get somewhere really important, the buses are at their worst, right?

We never ever use the buses to get to early ADRs anymore. Too much waiting around, and too easy for things to go horribly wrong. We now book taxis for all our breakfast ADRs. I would suggest that next time you keep and extra $20 in your pocket for an emergency taxi ride. It can be a life-saver.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #133
Li Li
Mouseketeer
 
Li Li's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hershey, PA
Posts: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I had an interesting encounter at the Concierge Desk at POR around 1:00 pm last Sunday.

There were three cast members waiting on people.

The guy to my left was requesting a reservation for HDDR; the cast member asked if he was making reservations for his next trip and he said he wanted them for 6 pm that night! She very politely told him that reservations for those kinds of shows need to be made well in advance, and she would be more than happy to help him find other dining reservations for that night if he needed them. He basically screamed at her that he couldn't believe they couldn't make reservations whenever they wanted. Again, the CM very politely tried to help him, but he kept at it. He finally flipped her off and left.

The guy to my right was screaming at the top of his lungs about the horrible bus service. He said he had waited two hours for a bus to AK. I thought that couldn't be possible. He was angry because he decided to rent a car - and the Car Care Center said they needed 24 hour notice - which is the policy of Alamo. They had only been in town for 16 hours and had no idea they would going to need a car. He screamed an obscenity, that I will never repeat, basically about how such and such could do a better job of getting buses around. My suspicion was that he got impatient after a bit and kept coming inside to see where the buses were and it probably came along at that time (he claimed that had been his fourth trip inside to complain....).

A group of kids were standing behind me, apparently wanting to do a pin trade. Two of the smaller kids got on either side of me with their chins on the counter and kept bumping into me..... I finally told them the CM was handling personal information regarding my account and they would have to go back and stand in line where it says "wait here for next available CM." They proceeded to tell their parents I was very rude to them and the parents chided me for not letting them in line. When I explained what I was doing there, they shrugged their shoulders and walked away, telling the kids they would go somewhere else to pin trade where there weren't such rude people......

And what was I doing there. I discovered at my first trip to the park that morning, that my card (somewhere) was switched with another guest and I had been using my pin number on their card all over the place. Which means they had my card and could possibly use their pin. I was there for a very legitimate reason.......who knew what the other person was doing with my card? Turned out I was able to make three transactions on her card and she only made the one on my card, so all was well. And the CM could not have been nicer and she even called out the manager to fill out a report regarding the RFID issue on both my card and the other person's card. They filled out a report and gave me a copy of it, so I could also write Disney a letter regarding the issue.

So there I was with a legitimate issue, having no issues whatsoever with their service to rectify the problem and the other two people were getting way out of hand - they were downright rude to the CM's.

So it is correct that sometimes people dish it out more than necessary..... and how those people deal with it day in and day out is unbelievable. My hats off to the CM's at Disney.
Wow, I don't know how you didn't lose it on those parents. I hate parents that don't pay attention to what their kids are doing and then act like the person who tries to instill a little courtesy is totally in the wrong. I feel pissed off on your behalf just hearing that story!
__________________
Current PTR: Pennsylvania to WDW in Sept. '14 -
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3237902
Current TR: A Whirlwind 72 (minus 5) hour trip to WDW!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3285760
Li Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #134
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran
 
LucyBC80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Actually Disney recommends you budget 90 minutes to get to an ADR. So you were timing it just right. It never fails that when you want to get somewhere really important, the buses are at their worst, right?

We never ever use the buses to get to early ADRs anymore. Too much waiting around, and too easy for things to go horribly wrong. We now book taxis for all our breakfast ADRs. I would suggest that next time you keep and extra $20 in your pocket for an emergency taxi ride. It can be a life-saver.
Learned it the hard way and since we plan to go to TH on our next visit (plus a few off-days resorts breakfast ADRs), I'm already budgeting taxi money into my savings. Never again I want to experience the frustration and anxiety of that day.
__________________
Me => Mom =>
LucyBC80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #135
Granny square
Always planning a trip!
 
Granny square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,732

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
I think your understanding of how Disney works is a bit flawed as well. While it's not as simple as Flamingomo states it, it's not nearly as dire as your description either. It's actually somewhere in the middle.

No kidding! A big old lecture that made Disney out to be the company store running the coal mines.
__________________
wishing I was at the beach!
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: