Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #511
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

It doesn't matter what others are doing, time-wise, with the 5K (or any, really). Do it for you, and don't let silly husbands mess with your head. Just realize that *in general* men are faster than women, and if he's already more in shape than you it makes the difference more, and his "I can walk it in that time" needs to go in one ear and out the other (and hopefully he's not going to continue saying such things).

The C25K programs are great, but don't be afraid to repeat weeks! The 9 week thing is silly when you are just starting off a fitness program, because your cardiovascular system doesn't always get with the program that fast. Around 4 or 5 weeks there's always a huge leap in the distance/time that you're jogging, and if your lungs can't take it or your heart is beating out of your chest, don't move on. Just repeat that week until you can do it.

The "say you're 12" thing is NOT what the CM on our 5K did. She had a relatively long conversation with the parent of the younger child, and while she might have gotten the child a bib later on, the child did NOT have a bib while running. And, in fact, the child's behaviour on the course made me SO glad I had left my son with his dad instead of letting him run, because if my son had acted the way the child was acting when I passed them (shocker, since I'm a slowpoke) it would have really ruined my fun on the 5K.

If I remember correctly, I finished (walking, slow jogging) in something like 46 minutes, and there were plenty of people behind me. CM was there handing out medals, it was still fun. No characters, though, not at the beginning or when I finished.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #512
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
It doesn't matter what others are doing, time-wise, with the 5K (or any, really). Do it for you, and don't let silly husbands mess with your head. Just realize that *in general* men are faster than women, and if he's already more in shape than you it makes the difference more, and his "I can walk it in that time" needs to go in one ear and out the other (and hopefully he's not going to continue saying such things).

The C25K programs are great, but don't be afraid to repeat weeks! The 9 week thing is silly when you are just starting off a fitness program, because your cardiovascular system doesn't always get with the program that fast. Around 4 or 5 weeks there's always a huge leap in the distance/time that you're jogging, and if your lungs can't take it or your heart is beating out of your chest, don't move on. Just repeat that week until you can do it.

The "say you're 12" thing is NOT what the CM on our 5K did. She had a relatively long conversation with the parent of the younger child, and while she might have gotten the child a bib later on, the child did NOT have a bib while running. And, in fact, the child's behaviour on the course made me SO glad I had left my son with his dad instead of letting him run, because if my son had acted the way the child was acting when I passed them (shocker, since I'm a slowpoke) it would have really ruined my fun on the 5K.

If I remember correctly, I finished (walking, slow jogging) in something like 46 minutes, and there were plenty of people behind me. CM was there handing out medals, it was still fun. No characters, though, not at the beginning or when I finished.
Of course you can modify the program. Though in a lot of cases (mine included) the problem wasn't the jump in running time...the problem was thinking that "running" meant running fast. You don't have to even be running 5mph for it to be "running". It's just going faster than walking (and by walking there should be pace and purpose...not strolling along like Sunday in the park).
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #513
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post

Of course you can modify the program. Though in a lot of cases (mine included) the problem wasn't the jump in running time...the problem was thinking that "running" meant running fast. You don't have to even be running 5mph for it to be "running". It's just going faster than walking (and by walking there should be pace and purpose...not strolling along like Sunday in the park).

I mentioned it because there are so many people who just drop out and stop the program rather than modify it. They blame themselves for not being able to do it rather than help themselves work through it.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #514
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:

I mentioned it because there are so many people who just drop out and stop the program rather than modify it. They blame themselves for not being able to do it rather than help themselves work through it.

Exactly! In my case it was speed that almost caused me to drop out. I didn't think I could do it because I couldn't run "that long" when I got to the longer runs. Some friends said "How fast are you running?" and I said "5-5.5 on the treadmill." Their response was "Duh. You're starting out. You don't have to run fast! Just go faster than you walk!"
Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #515
mordecai
Mouseketeer

I've also found there are 2 types of runners. One type does it to get in shape or because they set a goal. Another type runs for the love of running. It seems to be easier for the latter to keep it up, moreso than the former. I do it to stay in shape while my wife just loves running. It seems to make a difference in the dedication as well. Either way, I think we have gone slightly
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #516
dandjfla
DCL addict!

Can you drop your kids off at Skuttles Cove if both you and your hubby want to run??

3/14/13 Disney Dream
10/31/13 Disney Dream on Halloween!
2/3/14 Disney Magic
10/1/14 Disney Wonder Double Dip

11/7/15 Disney Fantasy Grand Slam!
dandjfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #517
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjfla View Post
Can you drop your kids off at Skuttles Cove if both you and your hubby want to run??
Yes, the rest of the group will wait for you to catch up. I know one mom rode the tram with the kids as her DH walked with us and then she caught up after.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Last edited by momto3gr8boys; 07-10-2013 at 09:13 AM.
momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #518
PoohJen
Willing to share a Mickey Bar?
I brought it with me everywhere on my Disney cruise
Quick, get to the hammock!- Castaway Cay

Quote:
The C25K programs are great, but don't be afraid to repeat weeks!
I love my C25K program on my android phone! So much so, that I've repeated Week 1 for the past month!!!

But now that I have the Castaway Cay 5k to motivate me, I actually moved onto Week 2 last night. I could have done so all along, but the Week 1 workout was just my stride, I was comfortable with it (albeit, I should've challenged myself a little more after the first week).
MNSSHP '04, '05, '06 MVMCP '07 and a few All Star quickies DCL Magic Nov '04 Eastern Trip Report Magic Wstrn Dbl Dip Aug '06 Trip Report, Wonder Dec '07 Trip Report Magic Dble Dip Aug '09 Trip Report Wonder Feb '10 DCL Dream July '11, Aug '13
PoohJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #519
Slappy32
Mouseketeer

I just switched from C25K, which I used a few times in the past, to the Zombies, Run! 5K trainer. It's awesome! It's nice having a story unfolding as you're running. Try it out, the program is similar to C25K, but adds some leg exercises as well.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #520
AdaraRae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy32 View Post
I just switched from C25K, which I used a few times in the past, to the Zombies, Run! 5K trainer. It's awesome! It's nice having a story unfolding as you're running. Try it out, the program is similar to C25K, but adds some leg exercises as well.
How much does it cost

Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #521
Slappy32
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaraRae View Post
How much does it cost

The 5k trainer is $1.99 and the full version is $3.99. In app purchases are available in the full version. There are three seasons worth of missions with season 1 included in the full version.

I only have experience with the 5K trainer currently.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #522
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohJen View Post
I love my C25K program on my android phone! So much so, that I've repeated Week 1 for the past month!!!
And I bet you seriously rock that Week 1!

Quote:
I've just had this app explained, and it sounds hilarious. I'm going to have to try it.

Quote:
The 5k trainer is $1.99 and the full version is $3.99. In app purchases are available in the full version. There are three seasons worth of missions with season 1 included in the full version.

I only have experience with the 5K trainer currently.
Thanks for that info!

Old 07-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #523
dandjfla
DCL addict!

Do you think if I asked nicely a CM would be willing to give me 2 medals?? The reason I ask
Is because I am part of a group that runs for people that cant run/walk. I am running this race for a young girl that has many disabilities including cerebral palsey. This is my first ever 5k so I'm excited to get my first medal however since this run is dedicated to her I would love for her to have a medal too! I will give her mine if I can't get more then one medal but I'm really hoping they might give me an extra! I'd even pay for it!

3/14/13 Disney Dream
10/31/13 Disney Dream on Halloween!
2/3/14 Disney Magic
10/1/14 Disney Wonder Double Dip

11/7/15 Disney Fantasy Grand Slam!
dandjfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #524
mordecai
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjfla View Post
Do you think if I asked nicely a CM would be willing to give me 2 medals?? The reason I ask
Is because I am part of a group that runs for people that cant run/walk. I am running this race for a young girl that has many disabilities including cerebral palsey. This is my first ever 5k so I'm excited to get my first medal however since this run is dedicated to her I would love for her to have a medal too! I will give her mine if I can't get more then one medal but I'm really hoping they might give me an extra! I'd even pay for it!
I'd imagine they would give you a second one, but if not let me know and I'll send you one of mine. I'll have 3 of them at that point and quite honestly don't need them.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #525
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

How old do kids have to be to participate?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: