Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
supercrossfox21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgrningghost View Post
We have our first cruise in Oct. our daughter will be 12 months and I can't imagine carrying her all over a big ship. We will have to have some kind of stroller.
We took our daughter on her 1st cruise at 11 1/2 months old and brought a stroller and never used. It was so much trouble having it around the ship- just not worth it. Yes we had to carry her (not walking yet) but it was so much better that dealing with a stroller in the elevators, lido deck, theater, etc. Stayed under the bed the whole time. Now she will be almost 4 for our cruise in September and are only bringing it for the airport (have a 4 hr wait before we can catch disney transportation) and hoping she will sleep in it. Otherwise we wouldn't be bringing it this time either. I we could leave it at the airport and pick it up on our way home we would.
supercrossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer

I plan on bringing a chicco echo stroller an ergo carrier, and a sling. None if those is too space consuming and I will see what I like when we get there.
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
We are bringing a basic Maclaren for my 17 month old, my 2.5 year old hardly ever sits in one at home so he'll walk. I might rent one from the ship if we walk around town to shop.I am bringing my Ergo for the little one, but she hasn't been in it in 4-5 months, so I'm not sure how that will go! I don't plan on using the stroller much on the boat, mostly for the airport and in port.
Renting a stroller. Tell me more????
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

I had asked a similar question about our special needs stroller, since we will be doing wdw before and after the cruise. so, we will have it with us even if we don't need it too much on the ship. I was worried about storage in the room the most. it was suggested that if it doesn't fit under the bed, a good place is to keep it in the bathtub when not being used.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #20
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid
We are bringing a basic Maclaren for my 17 month old, my 2.5 year old hardly ever sits in one at home so he'll walk. I might rent one from the ship if we walk around town to shop.I am bringing my Ergo for the little one, but she hasn't been in it in 4-5 months, so I'm not sure how that will go! I don't plan on using the stroller much on the boat, mostly for the airport and in port.
We have an ergo too that I am wondering whether to bring or not. Our daughter will be 18 months when we cruise. She hasn't been in the ergo a lot but we have recently moved her to the back and she really likes it that way now so that would be a great option. Our 3 yr old would not want to walk around to shop though so I'm thinking about bringing our joovy double stroller for the ports.
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
atwood
Earning My Ears

We took our daughters large special needs stroller. We had no problems at all. We took it in the dining rooms and placed it beside our table while she ate. We never got her out of it for elevators. It fit through the door of the cabins but it is a very close fit. In the halls people were very nice when passing them. I would never take a trip like that without one. There is so much walking around the ship.
atwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
atwood
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcrazie4dizney View Post
I had asked a similar question about our special needs stroller, since we will be doing wdw before and after the cruise. so, we will have it with us even if we don't need it too much on the ship. I was worried about storage in the room the most. it was suggested that if it doesn't fit under the bed, a good place is to keep it in the bathtub when not being used.
We stored ours in the closer when in the room. We couldn't have managed the cruise without it. My husband did put it in the bathroom once (only because he doesn't know how to fold it up right.). We had no problems at all around the ship. They are big and bulky but allows our daughter to experience it all. So very worth it
atwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #23
mlandon
Earning My Ears

We bought one of these for our last trip:
http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Capri-L...hicco+stroller (different color though!)
Our daughter was 2 at the time and we found it really handy! We ended up collapsing and storing it on the veranda when we weren't using it. The only real issue was getting it into the cabin! The door is heavy and the entryway is pretty narrow.

Good luck!
mlandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #24
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockotaco View Post
Renting a stroller. Tell me more????
I have heard that the ship has day use rental strollers. There is some sort of deposit put on your account, but if you bring it back with no damage, there is no charge. Maybe someone who has done this can confirm!

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #25
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post
....If you do bring it please oh please fold it up while you're in the elevators.

So instead you would prefer the person to hold onto the folded up stroller, the diaper bag, the sippy cup, and whatever else was stored in the basket below it and have the toddler who was sitting in the stroller running around?

Would you tell that to someone using a wheelchair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthenspeak View Post
How would a stroller be helpful if it has to be folded up on the elevator?
Exactly! It's not like you push a stroller around for no reason. If you need a stroller, use it. We used them on a few cruises and brought our Jeep Cherokee because it was more comfortable for DD. IMO those umbrella strollers are useless, not at all comfortable for the kids because they give no support. Bring one your child will be comfortable in, and one that reclines. One time both kids were sleeping at 5:15 so after dressing them for dinner DH went down to GS and got a second stroller from GS. We put each of the kids in a stroller and went to dinner. Both of them were next to our table while we ate dinner. They woke up about an hour into the meal and after they woke up DH returned the strollers to our room, while the servers quickly brought out their food. This happened a couple times with at least one of the kids each of our first three cruises.

We stayed forward so used those elevators and never had a problem having room. The midship elevators are the busiest. Also, even without strollers now we find that if you are willing to go the opposite way you need to go, you will get there faster. On deck 3 going up may be full elevators each time they open, but going down they won't be -- and that same elevator will be going up in just a moment and you will be on it.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #26
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
I have heard that the ship has day use rental strollers. There is some sort of deposit put on your account, but if you bring it back with no damage, there is no charge. Maybe someone who has done this can confirm!
Yes, you can pick them up at GS. They are nice sturdy strollers. You can use them for the entire cruise if you wish.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #27
aaklang
Mouseketeer

On the Fantasy, guest services had Peg Perego strollers available for checkout at NO CHARGE! I think we gave a deposit, but it was fully refundable if stroller was returned undamaged. We could keep it for as many days as we want - once checked out, it was ours for the rest of the cruise. It was clean, in good condition, and fit under the bed when folded.

My daughter was almost two when we cruised. We used the stroller only in the Costa Maya port. I don't think we ever used it again - I kind of feel like maybe we did one day, but can't think of when or why. It was really nice to have in the port.

We had a Maclaren umbrella stroller on a different cruise line the week before my son turned one. We used it in most of the ports (Alaska) but did not use it to get him around on board. There just aren't enough places to park it when you get where you're going.
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 AM   #28
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthenspeak View Post
How would a stroller be helpful if it has to be folded up on the elevator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
It doesn't have to be folded up. It's just that the elevators are quite small on cruiseships (think about maybe 6-9 people max). Strollers take up a lot of real estate there.
It still can be helpful if you fold it up in the elevator? Take the child out for the 2 minute ride so that a few more people can fit. I'm sorry if it's inconvenient but when the ship is bustling it helps if people are considerate. It makes me crazy when people say "Oh there's no more room sorry!" because of a stroller. Or anytime there is still space to be had. Yes you have to be a little squishy for a minute but not all of us can use stairs. I'm disabled and so using the elevator isn't optional.

I have had issues with people in wheelchairs too (and I use one sometimes myself, thank you). Our last cruise a woman insisted there was no more room with just herself and one wheelchair in the midship elevator. She was snippy and snide. It's all about making the tiniest bit of effort.

Yes of course if you have a special needs stroller or wheelchair they will allow it in the dining rooms, that is an entirely different matter.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

110 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #29
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Would you tell that to someone using a wheelchair?
Most of the time, and this isn't always true, but most of the time when you get in an elevator with a family using a stroller there are multiple adults together. Before they get on they fold it in half (as many do easily these days) and one adult holds the kid. Many do it it this way and are obviously taking the small elevator spaces into account. Being considerate of others.

In my ten cruises I have seen very few people hauling a baby bag, a sippy cup, a stroller and a child around the ship. There is little need as the room is always a few steps away. Not many people use strollers on the ship and that's just a fact. You see them hauled on and you see them hauled off. You see them used for excursions. For all the children on a Disney cruise there could be a zoo of strollers but there isn't. They are simply not required all of the time.

As to your wheelchair statement they aren't even CLOSE to the same thing. I'm disabled. I know the difference.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

110 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #30
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809

Most of the time, and this isn't always true, but most of the time when you get in an elevator with a family using a stroller there are multiple adults together. Before they get on they fold it in half (as many do easily these days) and one adult holds the kid. Many do it it this way and are obviously taking the small elevator spaces into account. Being considerate of others.

In my ten cruises I have seen very few people hauling a baby bag, a sippy cup, a stroller and a child around the ship. There is little need as the room is always a few steps away. Not many people use strollers on the ship and that's just a fact. You see them hauled on and you see them hauled off. You see them used for excursions. For all the children on a Disney cruise there could be a zoo of strollers but there isn't. They are simply not required all of the time.

As to your wheelchair statement they aren't even CLOSE to the same thing. I'm disabled. I know the difference.
Anecdotal evidence is the absolute weakest. People with experience with a LO with/without a stroller should be responding to this thread.

This evidence was not the case on our May cruise on the Dream. The room is almost always a hike away and you will need to bring things around the ship with you. Please be considerate of those individuals with LOs and understand it's not as easy to unload a stroller and pack it up on an elevator as it appears from your perspective. I don't leave my LO in the stroller to be inconsiderate and to imply so is just rude.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: