Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #46
spima3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieForMe View Post
Hi:
For those of you who stream Netflex on basic cable (comcast) does the slower internet speed bother you? My husband insists we have to keep the higher speed which is the $159.99 triple play package.
Thanks.
Michelle
Yes, it does. It is horrible. We got the free trial on Netflix and the constant buffering made me nuts. With 3 teens, there is always someone on the WiFi.

DH keeps wanting to get rid of cable, but there are no replacements that I see us going to.

Netflix streaming: a lot of stuff, but not anything we really want to watch, so end up watching stuff just to watch it.

Local stations: not too many, they keep cutting in and out on our one antenna TV, and again they are not stations we ever watch. I usually only have it on while making dinner.

So basically, if we get rid of cable, we are really giving up TV, in a sense. I am simply not ready to do that.

I told DH if he can come up with solutions to the above issues, I'm all for it.
spima3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #47
dd50
DIS Veteran

I got rid of cable TV about 1 1/2 years ago. Sometimes I do miss it but don't miss paying $70 for the second to lowest tier. I use a Roku box and have Netflix. I don't usually have a buffering issue. I get my internet from the phone company. Only problem is that only 2 can stream at the same time.
dd50 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #48
DawnM
Dawn

Netflix has a plan for $11.99 that allows you to stream to 4 devices at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd50 View Post
I got rid of cable TV about 1 1/2 years ago. Sometimes I do miss it but don't miss paying $70 for the second to lowest tier. I use a Roku box and have Netflix. I don't usually have a buffering issue. I get my internet from the phone company. Only problem is that only 2 can stream at the same time.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #49
msd1776
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajs22 View Post
I looked into doing this at the beginning of the year because it is so expensive! We have Roku, Apple Tv etc, but, having internet alone is nearly $100. If I could find a less expensive internet option I would do it in a second. The only shows I watch is Game of Thrones, Homeland, Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy. Kids like to watch Netflix.
You mentioned you have Roku and Apple TV. we have 2 roku devices but I have thought about Apple TV. Can you tell me some pros or cons of the device compare to Roku?
msd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #50
kajs22
Mother extraordinaire, friends call me wonder woman, grew up in South Florida and trying to get back.

Really apples & oranges. Roku is great because of the ability to use Amazon prime & more channels. Apple TV allows you to stream music from your ipod, integrates with your ipad, etc - we keep this in the family room and have roku for bedrooms.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #51
jerseygirl82
Mouseketeer

After reading through this thread, I realize DH and I fall into the "can't cut cable due to football" camp. However, there has to be a way to keep our cable and not pay so much. Right now my monthly bill for tv, phone (DH wanted ) and internet is about $180 a month which is absurd in my opinion. We are in NJ and have Comcast and I am thinking of calling them to see if we can downsize. I'm even willing to change providers if anyone else in NJ (Middlesex County) knows of a provider offering better rates. Any suggestions to keep our football (and Disney channel and internet) but not pay so much?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #52
kajs22
Mother extraordinaire, friends call me wonder woman, grew up in South Florida and trying to get back.

We are in NY & have Verizon fios - not cheap, but, it is less than $180. Not sure about sports channels because I don't watch any sports. They did offer $350 visa gift card for opening the account for 2 years though.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #53
goodeats
DIS Veteran

We cut cable when DD1 was born. I love not having commercials, although sometimes I realize I'm out of touch (I really have no clue about big movies that are out unless it's a really big movie). DD also doesn't get that regular TV is not at your beck and call like the Netflix or Hulu.

DH got the MLB package midseason last year and lucked out getting our local team since we lived close enough to another team. But when he doesn't pay for the subscription he just listens on the radio or waits until big games that are aired on local tv. But our college football games are pretty impossible to get unless they are on ABC. But not worth an extra $100/mo overall.

Next trip - Beach Club Oct 2015!
goodeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #54
Hook326
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieForMe View Post
Hi:
For those of you who stream Netflex on basic cable (comcast) does the slower internet speed bother you? My husband insists we have to keep the higher speed which is the $159.99 triple play package.

Thanks.

Michelle
We have Comcast basic cable ($10) with Comcast Internet & we have no problems with our Netflix. I know we don't have the lowest Internet though. Something with powerboost? Currently costing us $70 though for both No other good options around here for internet though. So with Netflix it's $77 which is still cheaper than what our cable package was for the next level up (that we barely watched!)
200?-Pop Century
August 2006-ASMovies
February 2009-ASMusic-1st trip with DS#1
September 2010-CBR
November 2011-POFQ-3rd trip with DS #1 & 1st trip with DS#2! Saw the World at Christmastime
November 2012-POFQ
September 2013-1st DCL trip & MNSSHP
Hook326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #55
mrsmomo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineangel View Post
Yep. Over three years ago now, no regrets. I just used Hulu (not plus) for awhile then added amazon prime. We cancelled that after a year and switched the Netflix and purchase the occasional show from amazon (breaking bad for my husband, doctor who for me) the kids watch Netflix via the ps3 on our one tv in the playroom and occasionally on my iPad. The ipad also has a pbs app and the disney jr app. Netflix has been adding a lot of Disney programming which makes me happy. I try not to buy DVDs anymore bc they are messy. No antenna, no basic, no regrets. I think these options will only become more and more popular and more people will cancel cable and satellite.
This

Cancelled cable now use antenna, Netflix, and amazon on occasion for the walking dead lol

Kids love Netflix my dd is always finding new horse movies to watch even ones from the 70's, she cracks me up and Netflix has just added a bunch of older Disney stuff for streaming totally happy saving money!
Feb 2015 WBC

Me DH DD DS DS

mrsmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #56
MarbleBob
DIS Veteran

We cut the cable 2.5 years ago and don't miss it one bit. Like the others, we get most of our entertainment from Netflix. We have an over the air antenna for TV, but never really watch it. like someone else said, I feel out of touch sometimes since we don't see commercials. But I like it that way.

We have a Vizio tv with Netflix bult in upstairs and a Mac Mini hooked up to the TV downstairs. The nice thing about the Mac mini (or a small Windows computer), is that we aren't tied to just Netflix, amazon, or Hulu. Many website, like PBS.org, stream their shows online. Also, we loaded all our home movies onto the Mac. And there are iPhone apps to control the mouse remotely...
Trip Reports: Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho. It's off to the Grand Floridian We Go! (6/2014) | Back to the Drawing Board - Missouri to Disneyland (10/2013) | A visit to Walt's Happy Place - Marceline, MO (9/2012)

1981 Off Property, 1988 CBR, 1998 CBR (Honeymoon!!!), 2002 POFQ, 2003 Poly, 2005 WL, 2006 POP, 2007 WL, 2009 ASMo, 2009 POFQ, 2010 WL, 2010 DCL Wonder, 2010 DLR HOJO, 2010 PORS, 2011 off property, 2011 Bonnet Creek (DISApalooza 2011), 2012 DCL Dream, 2013 Disneyland Hotel, 2014 Grand Floridian

Last edited by MarbleBob; 06-24-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Typo
MarbleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #57
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathynmichigan View Post
We are seriously debating on canceling our cable. Has anyone done this recently? The only show we watch, on a regular basis, is Detroit Tigers baseball, is there anyway to watch the games live through the computer hooked up to the tv? Anyone input is appreciated
This may have already been said, but as a baseball fan, I'll say...

Major League Baseball and the Cable/Satellite companies pretty much have you, there, as MLB.tv does not broadcast your home market/team's games live over the internet (once the game is concluded, you can then view the game on MLB.tv -- if you're at work when games are played, that might be a good thing, but if you like the live games, you don't have many options).

I understand in some markets, certain games are still carried over local (free, over-the-air) TV, but not in St. Louis, as all St. Louis Cardinals games are exclusive to Fox Sports Midwest, a cable/satellite channel.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #58
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCDiane View Post
For those who cut cable and are using Hulu and Netflis, I have a question:

How do you watch these shows?? Do you watch them on your computer? What about current programming like the news?? On Hulu and Netflix, how long after a show airs do they have it?
For those who really like this sort of thing, most of the $75-$100 Blu-ray players have all these apps built-in, which means you only have one device to manage...
Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #59
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post
This may have already been said, but as a baseball fan, I'll say...

Major League Baseball and the Cable/Satellite companies pretty much have you, there, as MLB.tv does not broadcast your home market/team's games live over the internet (once the game is concluded, you can then view the game on MLB.tv -- if you're at work when games are played, that might be a good thing, but if you like the live games, you don't have many options).

I understand in some markets, certain games are still carried over local (free, over-the-air) TV, but not in St. Louis, as all St. Louis Cardinals games are exclusive to Fox Sports Midwest, a cable/satellite channel.
Yep. We just cut our cable a few months ago and got MLB.tv without understanding exactly what the blackout rules were. So when our renewal comes up for MLb.tv we're most likely going to let it expire. Hopefully these blackouts will go away some day...apparently they've been taken to court but I can't find any recent articles on this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lawsuit...015544096.html

Honestly, if I could pay $20 per month to watch the Tribe, I'd do it. But I can't see us going back to our old cable package to do it. Our bill has been cut in half ($120/month for cable and internet down to $60/month total for faster internet, Netflix and Hulu+)...the different over a course of a year more than covers a WDW Annual Pass!
Ariel484 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #60
Jerseymomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl82 View Post
After reading through this thread, I realize DH and I fall into the "can't cut cable due to football" camp. However, there has to be a way to keep our cable and not pay so much. Right now my monthly bill for tv, phone (DH wanted ) and internet is about $180 a month which is absurd in my opinion. We are in NJ and have Comcast and I am thinking of calling them to see if we can downsize. I'm even willing to change providers if anyone else in NJ (Middlesex County) knows of a provider offering better rates. Any suggestions to keep our football (and Disney channel and internet) but not pay so much?
We are in NJ in middlesex county too and we have the same problem. We love our football and with this kids nickelodeon & the disney channel are a must here too. If you find any way to dump Comcast and work around it please let me know too. I HATE our cable bill!!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: